Typhon TLR Typhon gearing suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crod44305

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton EXB
Hey guys. So I’ve never had a buggy before. I’ve always wanted a Typhon but was waiting/hoping arrma would release some kind of exb roller version. Well now that TLR version came out and is calling my name. I even have a spare hw max8/2200kv combo lying around that should pair nicely with it. I’m just not sure on what type of pinion to pick up for this setup out of the box. My hw motor does have a yeah racing heatsink/dual fan setup on it so I’m trying to maximize speed without overheating anything. It will mostly be driven on pavement on 6s. Nothing competitive whatsoever, just parking lot bashing. Any suggestions?

I’d say start with a 13-14 and go from there……maybe 15, check temps. I don’t have this rig but that motor combo is familiar.

cheers,
kev

I’d say start with a 13-14 and go from there……maybe 15, check temps. I don’t have this rig but that motor combo is familiar.

cheers,
kev
I was thinking a lot higher than that…that’s around where I ran this setup in my kraton on these electronics which I believe is a lot heavier than the Typhon

Ya might be right…..I ain’t sure. 21-23 will get you the speed but at the expense of temps. Got a temp gun?

Hey guys. So I’ve never had a buggy before. I’ve always wanted a Typhon but was waiting/hoping arrma would release some kind of exb roller version. Well now that TLR version came out and is calling my name. I even have a spare hw max8/2200kv combo lying around that should pair nicely with it. I’m just not sure on what type of pinion to pick up for this setup out of the box. My hw motor does have a yeah racing heatsink/dual fan setup on it so I’m trying to maximize speed without overheating anything. It will mostly be driven on pavement on 6s. Nothing competitive whatsoever, just parking lot bashing. Any suggestions?
I would be starting around 15T if running 6S or 18T on 4S. You might find you can gear up more later, but it’s best to start lower and keep an eye on temps. Then bump up a tooth until you reach safe limits of 160F on the motor.

I’d start at 16 and probably get a 20t for an option gear. If your gonna be mostly running it on pavement 🤷🏻‍♂️ 16 will be fast with the stock typhon gearing and the 2200kv..

I’m running 17/44 on a 1900kv motor for my TLRT on 4S.

I’m assuming you’re running 4s with a 2200kv motor?
Old thread but meh / I'm running a 17t with spektrum 2050kv on 4S and I love it. Plenty of get and up go. Not intended to break speed records but it handles and jumps like a dream.

Cool thread.

I just picked up a TLR and I'm in the process of putting it together.

I'll be running a MAX-6 and a matching 1650kv motor on 6S for some speed runs. I've grabbed a 17/18/19T pinion to test out with it.

I’m running a 23/40 on a Max8 2200kv on 4s. It has been great unless the grass is really thick. Last weekend the esc fan quit and it got hot very fast in dense grass. The prior weekend I ran a 9000ma and a 6800ma pack through it back to back on the track with no heat issues. The gearing makes it almost uncomfortable on the track and if I was serious about track driving I would change it.

I’m running 17/44 on a 1900kv motor for my TLRT on 4S.

I’m assuming you’re running 4s with a 2200kv motor?

FWIW, I went back to running a 50T spur. 16 and 17T pinions were pushing the flanged SHCS I use for the motor mount into the plastic diff cover. Since I wasn’t going to gear up any more I went back to the 50T spur.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back