Senton TLR Typhon into TLR Senton build .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3x9rtse

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
Since the TLR Typhon came out I immediately pictured doing a custom TLR Senton build( I did one before with a V2 RTR Typhon) . I picked up the TLR Typhon yesterday , all in all it wasn't that hard , here's the process of the build / parts / and necessary modifications to make things work .
Started with the body mounts : the easy way is to get the Senton shock towers so the mounts go right on them , but with the TLR they are 7075 , and also have different geometry and more tuning positions / and the front has oval holes for the adjustable pills . So I had to somehow get the mounts on the current towers .
The rear wasn't bad , had to shave some of the plastic on the mount , and cut / grind / reshape the rear tower . Ironically the outer holes lined right up for the screws to hold the mount to the tower . The bad is that with the extra thickness of the tower and the plastic the shock standoff stud is just barely long enough to catch the nut on the back , so I might have to go with the reg RTR studs .
The front was in need of more creative cutting / shaving and the shocks had to be lowered inward by 2 holes .

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

The rear bumper was easy , remove the Typhon body mounts , remove the 2 screws on the rear hinge pin carrier , you MUST get longer screws to go thru both the plastic and aluminum carrier now . the upper screws lined right up with a hole in the TLR tower .
The front bumper again easy , remove Typhon front bumper , and the Senton slides right in . The upper mount that screw down to the diff case needed to have the hidden tabs trimmed . and the screw still goes thru the body mount and into that holder .
Nerf bars just remove Typhon , throw on the Sentons . The cage dropped right onto the center diff top plate , slide in pins and done .
I chose to leave the wider stance of the Typhon so I did not change the arms / driveshafts . This could possibly cause some body rubbing with the tires , we'll see .
I still now have to install electronics /

Attachments

• IMG_5417.JPG
    IMG_5417.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5409.JPG
    IMG_5409.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5419.JPG
    IMG_5419.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5421.JPG
    IMG_5421.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5423.JPG
    IMG_5423.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5424.JPG
    IMG_5424.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Going thru the diffs now , the factory weight was 7/10/7 , way to light , good if you want to race , but this will be used more light bashing driving . The center diff was leaking just sitting there !!!! LOL
Doing 20/200/20 to try out first .

And this is why we go thru our new trucks diffs !!!!!! The center was maybe 50- 60% as some leaked out with the truck just sitting around , the FR and RR were actually good , but the front diff had just one little dab of grease that basically wasn't doing anything .
Put 20k in rear , assembled to check mesh , and believe it or not , no shim needed !!!
The front , 20k , but did have to use one shim to get the mesh a little tighter .
I have been using STP high temp synthetic grease on all my RC bashers for diff gear grease , never had one fail , so this is what I keep using .
The center ( still can't believe they put only 10k in it ) , thought I had 200k but didn't , had 100k and 300k , so decided to start out with the 100k .

IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

The TLR Senton 6s is done !!!! Since my next build will be a HW Max 6 / 1650kv in my Mo , I pulled the electronics out of my RTR Mojave , Futaba 3PV / DS325 servo / stock BLX ESC and motor / 16t pinion / Powerhobby heat sink fan combo . Have to mention , really like the larger receiver box .Can't wait to try it out !!

IMG_5437.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

Very nice. I've always liked the 6s Senton but never had one. Good job. 👍

Very nice. I've always liked the 6s Senton but never had one. Good job.

👍
Thanks !!! This has been a long time in the desire to build idea but since fall 2021 HH has kept pushing back their parts availability of the Senton 6s . I would not buy the TLR Typhon for the build until I had ALL the parts to convert and finally all the parts were / are now available , even though I'd be taking the semi-used pieces off one of my other Sentons ( why put brand new on the one I will use ) .
So anyone wanting a Senton 6s again new , this is how you have to achieve one !!! LOL I did not want to build this off a RTR Typhon , but thought it would be beneficial of the better parts of the now TLR Typhon .

Last edited:
Thanks !!! This has been a long time in the desire to build idea but since fall 2012 HH has kept pushing back their parts availability of the Senton 6s . I would not buy the TLR Typhon for the build until I had ALL the parts to convert and finally all the parts were / are now available , even though I'd be taking the semi-used pieces off one of my other Sentons ( why put brand new on the one I will use ) .
So anyone wanting a Senton 6s again new , this is how you have to achieve one !!! LOL I did not want to build this off a RTR Typhon , but thought it would be beneficial of the better parts of the now TLR Typhon .
Happen to have a list of the Senton 6S parts needed to complete this conversion. I’m really liking the look.

Happen to have a list of the Senton 6S parts needed to complete this conversion. I’m really liking the look.
It's actually very easy :

Front Bumper-AR320321
Front Bumper support-AR320274
Roll Cage-AR320320
Roll Cage support-AR320273
Nerf Bars-AR320276
Rear Bumper - AR320275
Body Mounts / Posts - AR320277
Body-AR406144
Wing-AR406132
SCT tires - Powerhobby Defender

The arms are different , but I chose to stay with the wider Typhon arms .
If you type in these numbers on Horizon Hobby or Ebay , there are new updated numbers for these , but they do cross reference .

Last edited:
Love this thread, especially how you handled the tower/mount issue. I did the same when I had to put a HR Limitless tower on the front of my "Senvette C7" to lower the front end of the body more to get the aerodynamics right.
20220616_031426.jpg
20220616_031516.jpg

I went with alot of HR parts simply because I love the black/silver scheme but those TLR titanium colored parts really jump out and highlight your build! Might try that with my offroad Senton build

20220616_031445.jpg

Since the TLR Typhon came out I immediately pictured doing a custom TLR Senton build( I did one before with a V2 RTR Typhon) . I picked up the TLR Typhon yesterday , all in all it wasn't that hard , here's the process of the build / parts / and necessary modifications to make things work .
Started with the body mounts : the easy way is to get the Senton shock towers so the mounts go right on them , but with the TLR they are 7075 , and also have different geometry and more tuning positions / and the front has oval holes for the adjustable pills . So I had to somehow get the mounts on the current towers .
The rear wasn't bad , had to shave some of the plastic on the mount , and cut / grind / reshape the rear tower . Ironically the outer holes lined right up for the screws to hold the mount to the tower . The bad is that with the extra thickness of the tower and the plastic the shock standoff stud is just barely long enough to catch the nut on the back , so I might have to go with the reg RTR studs .
The front was in need of more creative cutting / shaving and the shocks had to be lowered inward by 2 holes .

View attachment 220476

View attachment 220477

View attachment 220478

View attachment 220479

View attachment 220480

View attachment 220481

View attachment 220482
The rear bumper was easy , remove the Typhon body mounts , remove the 2 screws on the rear hinge pin carrier , you MUST get longer screws to go thru both the plastic and aluminum carrier now . the upper screws lined right up with a hole in the TLR tower .
The front bumper again easy , remove Typhon front bumper , and the Senton slides right in . The upper mount that screw down to the diff case needed to have the hidden tabs trimmed . and the screw still goes thru the body mount and into that holder .
Nerf bars just remove Typhon , throw on the Sentons . The cage dropped right onto the center diff top plate , slide in pins and done .
I chose to leave the wider stance of the Typhon so I did not change the arms / driveshafts . This could possibly cause some body rubbing with the tires , we'll see .
I still now have to install electronics /
I think I am going to try the shock tower customization you did so I can use a Baja Bug body on my TLR Typhon. Any suggestions or concerns about using this Mod? Looks pretty straightforward. Thanks

Back