Kraton To all EXB owners who had good luck and bad luck with the rear diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you plsn getting an exb.. i would ssy don't get the blx185 so far forst experience with it dissapointing its about to catch on fire i didnt know a kraton 6s would overheat on 14t when not bashing that hard having a remplacement coming hopefully the the esc?

OOTB I shimmed up against the case, gear side, front and rear to make it extra tight. One extra shim in the rear diff, even though it came with the "right" number. I have been through several sessions using a TP4070 1700kv on 8s and have zero issues or complaints. (y)

Hey guys so just wanted to know peoples experience with their kraton exb. Did you guys shim or did it come correctly shimmed ? How long did you run it before you realized something was wrong. Thanks guys really wanna hear how it went with your kraton exb.
Ran mine twice and it broke, annoying after spending over 1000$
My stock open EXB diff didn’t last very long, maybe a full pack. My cup side sun gear stripped quickly. Mine had two small and one large shim behind each pin.

Next I was told I needed to add more small shims behind each sun gear. I was able to get 0.7mm of shims behind each sun gear and still the cup side stripped.

Next I tried a well shimmed V4 RTR diff. It held up fine but I really wanted the better ring and pinion of the EXB.

Next I tried a front EXB diff in the rear with the LSD setup. This worked ok but I didn’t like the LSD effect. Stock 3 shims behind the pins. No stripped gears.

Decided to change the order of the LSD plates per the Arrma directions and this did help open the diff a little, but still too stiff. I stripped gears.

Now I am running my open EXB diff with 1.75mm of 12x18mm shims behind the sun gears plus the stock 3 small shims behind the pins. This setup is super smooth and open like I feel a rear diff should be. I’m running 15k fluid and so far so good.
Anybody know if the v4 diffs fit the exb? I was thinking of just swapping all three differentials

Last edited:
Anybody know if the v4 diffs fit the exb? I was thinking of just swapping all three differentials

Yes and this has been covered about a million times now. You need the complete diff with the v4 pinion and ring gears to make it work.

Hey guys so just wanted to know peoples experience with their kraton exb. Did you guys shim or did it come correctly shimmed ? How long did you run it before you realized something was wrong. Thanks guys really wanna hear how it went with your kraton exb.
Thanks for all the stories guys I just kept hearing horrible things about it but I’m still happy with my purchase I can’t wait to send it . I also might buy a rtr kraton 6s so my wife and daughter can use it as well when I go bashing..... I hate sharing ?

Reviving an old thread but I got my EXB Jan 2021 this year and I think Arrma corrected the issue? My front and rear diff came shimmed and also came with extra shims. Honestly tho when I took out front diff I couldn't even get the shim back in, it's super tight without it, no side to side play at all. The rear still needed 1 shim tho.
As for inside the rear diff it came from factory with 2 star plates on each side then 1 shim on top of star plates. Seems like a good fix. I've ran about a dozen packs so far. Only issue I'm have is this thing does NOT handle at all! Just spins out like crazy! I can't get it to go straight for the life of me. Hardest car I've ever driven. Running 20k/80k/10k (still waiting on 200k for center diff) max6 4076 (also waiting on 4985 motor)
Also this is my first post here :)

Reviving an old thread but I got my EXB Jan 2021 this year and I think Arrma corrected the issue? My front and rear diff came shimmed and also came with extra shims. Honestly tho when I took out front diff I couldn't even get the shim back in, it's super tight without it, no side to side play at all. The rear still needed 1 shim tho.
As for inside the rear diff it came from factory with 2 star plates on each side then 1 shim on top of star plates. Seems like a good fix. I've ran about a dozen packs so far. Only issue I'm have is this thing does NOT handle at all! Just spins out like crazy! I can't get it to go straight for the life of me. Hardest car I've ever driven. Running 20k/80k/10k (still waiting on 200k for center diff) max6 4076 (also waiting on 4985 motor)
From what I have seen in various discussion forums, I believe the issue has been resolved. I personally was warrantied a complete rear differential. When they told me they were sending me a complete diff with LSD plates, I just went on amain and ordered the gears I broke and LSD plates. It took Arrma a couple months to get me the warranty diff, but I had my truck running within a week and haven’t had issues since! Now I also have a spare which is nice.

Guess I was lucky, and maybe a little bit uncharacteristically wise (BIG thanks to the guys who got them early and figured out the problem and fix), but I grabbed one of the early exb's with the open rear. I ordered shims and extra parts before the mad rush, and rebuilt it before I ran it (heavier fluid, installed lsd plates, and shimmed it nice and snug). I'm only 15-20 packs in, but haven't heard anything evil from the diffs yet. My only breakages have been from bad landings- and it's held up way better than expected!

This is good to know. I'm just about to spring for an EXB and was wondering whether they had fixed the diff issues in the later models

Replace the LSD plates in the rear with this spacer (shim) and you will have a completely different vehicle . This will eliminate the limited slip and give you a traditional open diff.

44AF936B-4891-439C-879D-10F2B7A6F9B5.jpeg

Replace the LSD plates in the rear with this spacer (shim) and you will have a completely different vehicle . This will eliminate the limited slip and give you a traditional open diff.

View attachment 123465
I just ordered a set, I know I read how to put the shims in, but can you refresh my memory on shim order when I install them?
Thanks for your help!

I just ordered a set, I know I read how to put the shims in, but can you refresh my memory on shim order when I install them?
Thanks for your help!
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA311094
I'm going to run the LSD in the rear at first, but when warmer weather comes around, and I'm able to use the track...open rear diff will be in order.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back