Kraton To all those who run in snow/water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya. That's life in a climate that only has 2 seasons..July and winter!!😆😂🍻
For the record, I totally agree, water ruins bearings, following specified maintenance guidelines, and all that will provide longer service life and maximum performance. As well as plastics break more easily in the cold.. I just can't take it that seriously..it's like going to bible school.. "I just can't want to!"🤷‍♂️😉🍻
July isnt a season LOL, and you forgot stifling August, but, at least upstate, we do have two seasons, winter and construction. This year i think the construction season actually started before winter was over though.

The center diff housing is pretty protected and sealed.
I use hybrid bearings in most diff's. They are metal shielded on the inside, and rubber shielded on the outside. I have found that the rubber seals can melt if the diff get's warm, which is why i use the hybrid's. I use the same bearings when (more like if) i rebuild motors.

It's not my mistake they forgot to tighten the screws, I took out the front diff, all difs, and checked them. That one was impossible to see from the inside of the case which I also checked pinion gear. The thin bearings I couldn't get the seals off without damaging the races. I was just running on a frozen pond. Any time I tried to take a bearing apart I could never get it together again.
I did try to not blow directly on bearings. Are you guys talking about just the bearings at wheels? The center diff housing is pretty protected and sealed. Also the diff bearings requirs complete disassembly, not hard just time. Never would drive in salt. I would guess I went out onthe pond a little over 5 times.
I don't like the idea of wd40 or pb blaster as there solvents with acetone and contaminate screw holes for thread lock.
For 25 bucks I just think I'll swap em out. TRB makes good bearings? I'm amazed at where water got after lightly spraying it off. But it's a good point about that and air compressor. I guess for winter I should just plan on replacing them every few months. Years back there was this stuff called banana lube that made a seal of dust around the bearing. I wonder if green slime could be used the same way.
I also dontknow how much fun with these tires mud would be. Those tests look interesting.
Those "thin walled" inner hub bearings are a bear to get the seals out of..not worth it IMO. They're 15x21x4mm and the most prone to failure on the 6s Arrma's IMO. I keep (even more) spares of this size on hand because they fail more quickly for me.
https://trbrc.com/trb-rc-15x21x4mm-precision-ball-bearings-abec-3-rubber-sealed-blu-10/
They come in several flavors (colored seals).. I bet they're all the same bearing given the prices..
I'm "low budget" so I don't pay attention to ceramic or stainless options..
July isnt a season LOL, and you forgot stifling August, but, at least upstate, we do have two seasons, winter and construction. This year i think the construction season actually started before winter was over though.

I use hybrid bearings in most diff's. They are metal shielded on the inside, and rubber shielded on the outside. I have found that the rubber seals can melt if the diff get's warm, which is why i use the hybrid's. I use the same bearings when (more like if) i rebuild motors.
I concur!! Why just this AM we had frost!!🤯 Had to bring the flowers in last night..wtf!?
Construction? More like Destruction, lol. I swear the roads are worses when they get done.. if not, they come back a month later and cut up the fresh blacktop to replace culvert pipes!!😆🤷‍♂️🤯
Gotta love NYS🤔🤪🍻
FWIW, I use regular rubber sealed bearings in motors and diffs too.. I'm not spending $25 on bearings for a $45 motor. The rubber seals have a melting temp much higher than what a motor or diff should be run to anyway.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Those trb bearings look just like the no name ones I got off Amazon with blue rubber seals but I'll go for the trb next time. Oh the seasons , not to mention changing emulsion shock oil.
I'm actually wondering if cleaning is good, the dirt makes a seal on the outside of the bearings. Thoughts on green bike slime?
It's amazing how much more punch it has now. Off to my dirt jumps now.

Those trb bearings look just like the no name ones I got off Amazon with blue rubber seals but I'll go for the trb next time. Oh the seasons , not to mention changing emulsion shock oil.
I'm actually wondering if cleaning is good, the dirt makes a seal on the outside of the bearings. Thoughts on green bike slime?
It's amazing how much more punch it has now. Off to my dirt jumps now.
Trb does sell on amazon also.. I'm convinced TRB, Fast Eddie, Jims bearings are all from the same manufacturer myself 🤷‍♂️

Those "thin walled" inner hub bearings are a bear to get the seals out of..not worth it IMO. They're 15x21x4mm and the most prone to failure on the 6s Arrma's IMO. I keep (even more) spares of this size on hand because they fail more quickly for me.
https://trbrc.com/trb-rc-15x21x4mm-precision-ball-bearings-abec-3-rubber-sealed-blu-10/
They come in several flavors (colored seals).. I bet they're all the same bearing given the prices..
I'm "low budget" so I don't pay attention to ceramic or stainless options..
All my stuff is 1/10TH scale, mainly SCT's, and, since most of them the bearing sizes are the same, i just buy 10 packs of the 4 sizes i use most, instead of buying individual sets for each car, and just buy the occasional oddball when i need to.
I concur!! Why just this AM we had frost!!🤯 Had to bring the flowers in last night..wtf!?
Construction? More like Destruction, lol. I swear the roads are worses when they get done.. if not, they come back a month later and cut up the fresh blacktop to replace culvert pipes!!😆🤷‍♂️🤯
Gotta love NYS🤔🤪🍻
FWIW, I use regular rubber sealed bearings in motors and diffs too.. I'm not spending $25 on bearings for a $45 motor. The rubber seals have a melting temp much higher than what a motor or diff should be run to anyway.🤷‍♂️
I just pretend im driving a slow speed rally race through the worst of it. The rest of the time, because of the way the streets here are laid out, i can usually find a route that avoids most of it. For example, there are 5 separate streets that all end by the mall and walmart, and, they all start within a 100 feet of each other. I think the city planner that came up with the road layout here just handed his kid some crayons and some paper and just copied the lines on the road map blueprints, and told the road builders, just lay it out this way. Either that, or, the center of the village was a train hub that they took out and put roads where the track beds were. The two roads with the black lines, for example, both end at the same store roughly 8 miles from where they start, and, every other street in that pic, although they start out going different directions, all will take you to the mall and walmart.

Screenshot (10).png

I think someone else said thy are all ABEC, I think they are high quality the bearing for the fan on the mamba 8 went and was making the whole rig shake. I even took the fan off for winter. What the heck. I order a new fan and will try to find a bearing for this 40mm fan. That is the cool thing about bearings they seem to have standard sizes.

The track is hysterical, so clever. Its an urban usage track, ha. How do you see the car? Ya 1/12 scale and Im sure 10th are so much simpler. But nothing can bash like this. I was all over the air today and crashed a million ways but got some really big air and when you stick it level its so satisfying.

Ok not bearing in fan, blade broken as I forgot to put a finer mesh on the top of their crappy one, stick got in. Castle has gone way down hill and I know they would be on the offensive and take an adversarial approach. When I try'd to rationalize with them that they had advertised the switch esc was waterproof and the switch should work. They just wrote it off that esc's shouldn't have power switches (and I know you all might agree but I wanted it).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back