To Moly or not to Moly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimePancake

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Do I or should I put moly grease on the diff drive and pinion gears?

I've just rebuilt the front and rear diffs and red and tacky isn't available in UK.
I've done a fair bit of searching on this one and the prevailing response is to use red and tacky.

So I used white lithium grease. Just a good blob and run the gears around by hand to get and even coverage.

But first run after the car ran hot for first time ever. Motor and ESC are hot. I've run it in hotter weather before with no issues what so ever.

So I thought to clean up the diffs and use molly grease instead. I assumed the original arrma grease was silicone based?

The OE grease was probably some soap based grease. It was yellowish? Molybdenum is fine. I stay away from lithium grease. I don't feel it is durable enough. I tried that years ago. Some like it though. Just not WP and durable for me.
Using lithium grease however, was not causing your heat issues IMHO.

The OE grease was probably some soap based grease. It was yellowish? Molybdenum is fine. I stay away from lithium grease. I don't feel it is durable enough. I tried that years ago. Some like it though. Just not WP and durable for me.
Using lithium grease however, was not causing your heat issues IMHO.
Thanks. I was sure it was safe to use, but really confused why it would start to run hot. Nothing else has changed. Might look at motor bearings maybe, as it all spins fine by hand. Still gonna change for moly I think ?

I use red-n-tacky on all my steel gear diffs. I know many use marine grease as it tends to adhere better like the red-n-tacky does vs just getting a path cut through it like typical axle grease.

Timepancake, I found some red-n-tacky on Amazon.co.uk. eBay also has a few U.K. listings but watch out as some sellers have been known to label up cheap red grease with the Lucas branding. If it’s too cheap then it’s probably fake.

Timepancake, I found some red-n-tacky on Amazon.co.uk. eBay also has a few U.K. listings but watch out as some sellers have been known to label up cheap red grease with the Lucas branding. If it’s too cheap then it’s probably fake.
Thanks for the heads up. I've always been wary of buying stuff like that on ebay. Found it bad enough trying to get genuine Locktite...

Roll that molly

1596285542066.jpeg

Another vote for Lucas’ Red & Tacky here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back