To use or not Servo grommets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crewchief227

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Ok, so as some of you know I have both Savox Monster Performance series servos. Ever since burning up my 1211sg (idk if burnt is exactly right, Savox did get me my new one already?) I have been freaking out, and babying my $150 (w/tax) servos. I went thru my entire steering system, rebuilt bearings, installed new bell cranks, set my saver down from max to 5mm, and replaced the bell crank top plate screws (found out this is where I think my problem was, and that the screws are an exact M4x12 & that you want a "gap"). I even went and installed a new horn, link, and put the plastic spacers back in under the tabs.

Now mind you I have a Voltage servo mount, and with the spacers installed under the tabs the link with stock horn just rubs the top case when going full left (just barely, see this vid )

I have a couple of options as I see it. 1) Loose the plastic risers and mount the tabs directly to the mount 2) Use the rubber grommets, but cut them in half & use just the bottoms under the tabs. My concern with going straight mount is that this is not line other plastic ear servos, where the plastic is a good thing as it transfers less shock to the internals, that's why I was thinking of keeping some sort of protection under the tabs. What do you'll think? ?‍♂️

I run mine solid with a shim as required.

The grommets its an old habit that has carried over for yrs back then when servo quality was subpar and for any little bump the board or wires would get damages or loose.

Servo QC has improved drastically, built tougher and much better electronics. IMO it is not needed.

I have had nitro rc buggies forever and ever mounted directly to a aluminum servo tray and never had a servo failure. If it can sustain the beating and vibration (that sounded weird) of a .28 big block engine, it will do on a brushless setup.

Servo grommets are holdovers from RC airplane servos of years ago, when they were mounted on balsa wood. No one uses them anymore. They are included with 99% of servos. Why? I don't know. I have a bag of them collected over the years, and I repurpose them for other things, just not servos. Nowadays we want our steel geared servos mounted solid and rigid, not cushioned with rubber grommets and brass eyelet sleeves. At least in surface RC that is. IMO.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back