Today is a sad day for me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the DeWALT 8V gyro screwdriver with a clutch. I use it in the in-line mode, not the pistol grip handle mode. I set my clutch to the lowest setting and use it as a manual driver to fully tighten. This allows the driver to do 80% of the work and I finish by hand. I think this method is perfectly fine.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/pow...gyroscopic-screwdriver-1-battery-kit/dcf680n1

I need to get something like these small drivers. I have some heavy duty screw drivers, one is a Dewalt hammer drill. Needless to say they are bulky and heavy....

You can't do that if you have a 1/4" drive drill like my Bosch.
View attachment 44930
Only possible on a drill bit type chuck:)
I use the DeWALT 8V gyro screwdriver with a clutch. I use it in the in-line mode, not the pistol grip handle mode. I set my clutch to the lowest setting and use it as a manual driver to fully tighten. This allows the driver to do 80% of the work and I finish by hand. I think this method is perfectly fine.

View attachment 44931
https://www.dewalt.com/products/pow...gyroscopic-screwdriver-1-battery-kit/dcf680n1
You need that clutch. exactly. And doing a fresh build, cutting threads with new fasteners will kill you hands and forearm after a while using a hand tool. I wrench cars too. I have carpal tunnel. Hand and thumb surgery etc. I find it indespensable.
99% of the time I use my fingers to start and set up the fastener. Then let the driver do the work. Just not full trigger speed for inserting fastners. Hopefully you have a variable speed trigger. I use the Milwaukee 12v. P.Driver. But, you don't even need 12v. I also have a Ryobi cheapo with a clutch. but single speed at 4volts. Does the job sometimes. But I feel under powered. Long 3mm and 4mm fasteners give it a hard time.

Last edited:
I need to get something like these small drivers. I have some heavy duty screw drivers, one is a Dewalt hammer drill. Needless to say they are bulky and heavy....
Only possible on a drill bit type chuck:)

You need that clutch. exactly. And doing a fresh build, cutting threads with new fasteners will kill you hands and forearm after a while using a hand tool. I wrench cars too. I have carpal tunnel. Hand and thumb surgery etc. I find it indespensable.
99% of the time I use my fingers to start and set up the fastener. Then let the driver do the work. Just not full trigger speed for inserting fastners. Hopefully you have a variable speed trigger. I use the Milwaukee 12v. P.Driver. But, you don't even need 12v. I also have a Ryobi cheapo with a clutch. but single speed at 4volts. Does the job sometimes. But I feel under powered. Long 3mm and 4mm fasteners give it a hard time.
I usually use Milwaukee M12 tools, but they don’t make a smaller in-line driver like the DeWALT. I try to simplify batteries but in this case I went ahead and took on a new one.

I love my M12 Fuel tools for work, but they’re too much for small tasks like RC stuff.

Here's what I use. 1/4" adjustable chuck was a slow boat buy for about $6

I usually use Milwaukee M12 tools, but they don’t make a smaller in-line driver like the DeWALT. I try to simplify batteries but in this case I went ahead and took on a new one.

I love my M12 Fuel tools for work, but they’re too much for small tasks like RC stuff.

I also have the M12 tools and love them for rc. Variable speed, adjustable hammer mode, pretty much works for all my small driver needs. And, the drill still has a 1/2" chuck.

My M18 set is what I use for the big stuff. Milwaukee makes some of the best tools I've used!

I also have the M12 tools and love them for rc. Variable speed, adjustable hammer mode, pretty much works for all my small driver needs. And, the drill still has a 1/2" chuck.

My M18 set is what I use for the big stuff. Milwaukee makes some of the best tools I've used!
I rarely need bigger than my M12 Fuel drills, but when I do, I pull out the Hilti. ✅

I find some softer plastics found on different various brands of RC rigs don't play well with some power tools. Axial rings a bell. Some plastics can melt/strip out easily. I agree. Need a very light trigger finger if you do. 12v P drivers can be too much. That's why I have the 4v Riyobi driver on hand.(y) Tekno harder/denser plastics seem fine with my 12v Milwaukee.
Here's what I use. 1/4" adjustable chuck was a slow boat buy for about $6

View attachment 44956
Is that Hitachi a 4v?
Looking for a quality 4V.
My Riyobi is not all that .

Last edited:
I find some softer plastics found on different various brands of RC rigs don't play well with some power tools. Axial rings a bell. Some plastics can melt/strip out easily. I agree. Need a very light trigger finger if you do. 12v P drivers can be too much. That's why I have the 4v Riyobi driver on hand.(y) Tekno harder/denser plastics seem fine with my 12v Milwaukee.

Is that Hitachi a 4v?
Looking for a quality 4V.
My Riyobi is not all that .
3.6V and never have any trouble. I don't work with hard wood or thick materials; it's only for RC and a couple small things around the house. Easily drill long, quality screws into treated 2x4 to build an awning over my chicken pen. Has a low with torque and high speed switch and the clutch is superb. 1/4" speed "chuck." I use low and pretty loose clutch for the trucks and finish with the hand drivers. To remove hardware I use low as well. I've never stripped a bolt on an Arrma truck even with their red threadlock but I do heat em up first. This Hitachi does much more than I thought it would and it's very comfortable to use. Mine came with two battery packs and charger. I'd buy another one if I saw it on sale even unneeded because I love it. Easy to carry around.

edit: I think it has a lifetime warranty but I'd have to look it up to be sure.
edit: does have lifetime Hitachi lion tool warranty. I think I recall that I was unable to find one in stock earlier this year and not sure they'll be available again. .....
This is where I bought mine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y74AU...olid=3TAF2H15YLT20&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
edit: they've change branding or merged or something so now they're Metabo.

Last edited:
I have been hesitant to buy bits like this. Doesn't running the screw in or out too fast lead to stripped threads?
Plus using MIP hand tools makes my fore-arms are like Popeye the sailor man's.
I use a milwaukee M12 driver with a clutch. It's not overly fast, but I don't usually spin the screws in at full tilt. I use my losi hand wrenches to snug things up as they have varying handle sizes for each sized hex to help limit torque. My hands are too old/beat up/arthritic to wrench without an electric driver. Even then, after working on my trucks for a few hours, I can barely type the next day. Without the edriver, I wouldn't run my RC's.

I use a milwaukee M12 driver with a clutch. It's not overly fast, but I don't usually spin the screws in at full tilt. I use my losi hand wrenches to snug things up as they have varying handle sizes for each sized hex to help limit torque. My hands are too old/beat up/arthritic to wrench without an electric driver. Even then, after working on my trucks for a few hours, I can barely type the next day. Without the edriver, I wouldn't run my RC's.
I need something quiet to use while the kids are asleep. Any of these noteably quiet running? I assume those little 2 speed on or off units like the Ryobi might be loud?
RC work is done in the kitchen right now in August as the garage is 103 F.

I am leaning most towards the Dewalt unit for the variable speed by trigger input. (plus I have always liked their tools)

-Liberty

The milwaukee is variable speed. It's not like winding up a 3/4" drill or anything, but it's not silent. I do all my wrenching in my office which is next to the bedroom. If my wife is sleeping, I shut the door to wrench and refrain from using the dremel and hammer, or she will likely show up and use the hammer on my head. :)

I feel ya . Been there:)
20190813_131101.jpg

Variable speed. M12
20190813_132123.jpg

I've rebuilt this with a new ($4.00)LG Lion battery. Its got a second life now. And it is better than new. Lasts twice as long on a charge. Does the job most of the time. But can be underpowered for me at times (clutch maxed out) and is too slow with single speed, because I am spoiled with the M12.:giggle: This $30.00 Riyobi is discontinued. Very old. The new one doesn't have a clutch. Much lighter than the M12 ($100.00) which is a big plus when building a kit for several hours.

Last edited:
I need something quiet to use while the kids are asleep. Any of these noteably quiet running? I assume those little 2 speed on or off units like the Ryobi might be loud?
RC work is done in the kitchen right now in August as the garage is 103 F.

I am leaning most towards the Dewalt unit for the variable speed by trigger input. (plus I have always liked their tools)

-Liberty

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on that.(y)

I've used DeWalt everything for years on job sites, nothing better in my opinion. I haven't had the use for a light duty driver until I got into RC, so I haven't picked one of those up yet, but it's big brother stomps ass and there is no way I'm using that thing on these screws.

I've used DeWalt everything for years on job sites, nothing better in my opinion. I haven't had the use for a light duty driver until I got into RC, so I haven't picked one of those up yet, but it's big brother stomps ass and there is no way I'm using that thing on these screws.
That’s what a clutch is for. It won’t even drive a single screw in the whole truck all the way on setting 2. I run them in as far as the light clutch allows and then finish by hand.

That’s what a clutch is for. It won’t even drive a single screw in the whole truck all the way on setting 2. I run them in as far as the light clutch allows and then finish by hand.

I know what a clutch is for, but it's more than power, the weight and the way I have to hold my work drill is just a little too heavy handed for these things. I still have the old 18v NiCd's.

I know what a clutch is for, but it's more than power, the weight and the way I have to hold my work drill is just a little too heavy handed for these things. I still have the old 18v NiCd's.
Yeah I would never use a heavy drill/driver. I don’t even like the pistol grip style either. I like the in-line style with a light clutch.

Yeah, the milwaukee M12 driver isn't that heavy. It's not light either, but isn't as heavy as the 3/8" 2 speed M12 drill I have.

Yeah, the milwaukee M12 driver isn't that heavy. It's not light either, but isn't as heavy as the 3/8" 2 speed M12 drill I have.
I own almost every M12 Fuel tool ? and know how much they weigh. If they made an M12 in-line driver I would have for sure bought that instead of the DeWALT. I hate yellow tools ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back