Kraton Tons of questions about Kraton 8s EBX HELP ME!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmaLucky

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all this is my first post here and I NEED CLARITY! I have done days if not weeks of research yet keep coming across conflicting data. My primary question is...

1) I know the K8 BLX is on v2 (unclaimed by arrma but they revised the bottom plate and whatever else) but is the EXB on any updated version at all? Have there been any changes since it was initially released? If so, what in absolute entirety?

2) The diffs. I keep seeing things about how the recent EXBs have the LSD diffs and I swear I spent literally all day yesterday watching teardown, rebuild, function explanation, maintenance, and comparison videos on them. Then I go to Arrma's official page and open the manual and no LSD in sight. All open diffs. Very confused now. Even went to the 1/8 ebx manual and still all open diff with shim configurations. So which if any 1/5 kraton has LSD? And I guess I'm interested to also know which of the the other kraton's also have LSD.

3) If there are still issues in general with the possibly most recent iteration of K8s EXB, what are they? And should I still check the diffs for proper shimming/lack of play as well and oil fill?

4) Should I just get over it and wait for a new EXB? Or I also heard they're discontinuing EXB and just going RTR for money's sake and that's why the exbs are on sale and also a motivating factor and I LOVE the gunmetal body and wanna do my own electronics so there's that.

Basically I need to know if the Kraton 8s EXB has any updates since it's release, what diffs it actually has, and whether or not I should buy it or wait for an official rtr v2 that could possibly be better than the current exb.

Thank you so much in advance for your time!!

DIffs never changed. And they are NOT LSD's. never were for the 1/5 line. All diffs are Open.
LSD's are only a thing with the 1/8 EXB rigs.
Need a true large scale servo. Think Primal RC 1373 servo. Affordable.
No plans for any "Official V2, that I am aware of. The 8s line is pretty mature at this point. Yes it was a mess when early released.
There are issues that Arrma is not concerned about fixing them.
I fee it's a 30 pound overweight rig for its drivetrain and suspension. Like 8 pounds too heavy IMHO. Part of the many issues that result. Sheared off Diff nuts etc.
Plan on buying Arms. All rigs break. This one costs more. The initial cost may be a big savings , just plan on spending $$ on needed upgrade parts. Like Vitavon alloy diffs, etc. To "Fix" issues. And just have spare arms on the side here and there.
If you don't expect high speeds or push it like a speed demon, you may spare undue issues and breakages. (y) It is not meant to be as fast as a 1/8 rig.
Parts are easily $double$ 1/8 scale prices to own and maintain them. So is the weight doubled.

Absolutely go over all your diffs and everything out the box. Diffs are usually low, Have correct oils on hand.
Check over the whole rig out the box, Rebuild the diffs, even before you attempt at installing electrics.
All RTR's need this attention. Suspension, wheel alignment etc. No matter the brand. They are not Truly Ready to Run. Many are eager to drive quick. Then have issues crop up real fast. Best to learn and going over all. Sometimes you find loose or even stripped screws. Common.
Factory assembles these lightening fast with unskilled labor. Poor QC.
If this is your first Hobby grade RC, this may not be the best choice for you. Consider a 6s rig.
K8s is for Experienced RC'ers with fat wallets and tons of patience.
I feel 1/5 line are slow sellers for this reason. I have planty of RC skill yet know better. The K8 is not for me.

DIffs never changed. And they are NOT LSD's. never were for the 1/5 line. All diffs are Open.
LSD's are only a thing with the 1/8 EXB rigs.
Need a true large scale servo. Think Primal RC 1373 servo. Affordable.
No plans for any "Official V2, that I am aware of. The 8s line is pretty mature at this point. Yes it was a mess when early released.
There are issues that Arrma is not concerned about fixing them.
I fee it's a 30 pound overweight rig for its drivetrain and suspension. Like 8 pounds too heavy IMHO. Part of the many issues that result. Sheared off Diff nuts etc.
Plan on buying Arms. All rigs break. This one costs more. The initial cost may be a big savings , just plan on spending $$ on needed upgrade parts. Like Vitavon alloy diffs, etc. To "Fix" issues. And just have spare arms on the side here and there.
If you don't expect high speeds or push it like a speed demon, you may spare undue issues and breakages. (y) It is not meant to be as fast as a 1/8 rig.
Parts are easily $double$ 1/8 scale prices to own and maintain them. So is the weight doubled.

Absolutely go over all your diffs and everything out the box. Diffs are usually low, Have correct oils on hand.
Check over the whole rig out the box, Rebuild the diffs, even before you attempt at installing electrics.
All RTR's need this attention. Suspension, wheel alignment etc. No matter the brand. They are not Truly Ready to Run. Many are eager to drive quick. Then have issues crop up real fast. Best to learn and going over all. Sometimes you find loose or even stripped screws. Common.
Factory assembles these lightening fast with unskilled labor. Poor QC.
If this is your first Hobby grade RC, this may not be the best choice for you. Consider a 6s rig.
K8s is for Experienced RC'ers with fat wallets and tons of patience.
I feel 1/5 line are slow sellers for this reason. I have planty of RC skill yet know better. The K8 is not for me.
Thank you for your inclusive reply! This is far from my first rc but I'm not entirely versed on diff care as far as making sure fit is 10/10, that's new to me and seems all anyone talks about with the k8. I love the way it looks and want the beastliness of it's size and something that will be a new challenge for me and wallet isn't an issue. Just don't want new things to break for no reason lol.

So do you know if the K8 EXB has seen any updates, or has it remained the same since release? And when you say sheared off diff nuts, are you referring to the four on each size that hold the diff in? And wouldn't that only be an issue if the diff fitment were incorrect, and is that just an issue across the line/if too much power is going through?

What you see now is the current 8s flavor. Not much has changed. No Published Revisions that I know of.
Many like the 1/5 stuff. With RC experience it will be fun. Very different from 1/10 and 1/8 stuff.
The diff cup main gear screws tend to shear off. A few examples of this on threads here. An EXB Roller is the best way to buy this rig. Skip the RTR. Not worth it at all. If I were to get one, I would want the OC EXB Roller. I think I would prefer the Shorter Wheelbase better.
It would be a tad lighter as well.(y)

What you see now is the current 8s flavor. Not much has changed. No Published Revisions that I know of.
Many like the 1/5 stuff. With RC experience it will be fun. Very different from 1/10 and 1/8 stuff.
The diff cup main gear screws tend to shear off. A few examples of this on threads here. An EXB Roller is the best way to buy this rig. Skip the RTR. Not worth it at all. If I were to get one, I would want the OC EXB Roller. I think I would prefer the Shorter Wheelbase better.
It would be a tad lighter as well.(y)
The diff cup has screws? Wasn't that only a thing on balldiffs like in the old rc10 buggies?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back