Too much red loctite!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

It's gonna break, so might as well send it!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
Took a bell of a lot of heat to get the grub screws out, but now I can't take the outdrives off. Left the heat on for ten minutes. I was doing a bearing replacement on all my spare difs, and the two in the bulk heads are the only ones left. Don't want to pry to hard and damage the bulk head. Help!

20190113_142023.jpg

Do you have a wife or girlfriend? Ask her if she has any nail polish remover that's acetone ;)
Checking now. Thanks. I knew that too, but totally slipped my mind.

Heat is probably going to be your best bet. Then when you get it off stop using red and use blue. (y)
The red is factory. I almost never use red. I left the iron on it for ten minutes. It was too hot to touch, but still no luck. The space is too small between the outdrive and bulkhead to get a normal flat head in. The precision drivers aren't big enough to get any force. Tried clamping on to the outdrive with voice grips and pulling. Nothing. Will try again shortly

Use a Phillips head screwdriver and punch it out from the other side
I'm gonna try with a nail punch. Hope I don't mess up the shaft of the pinion.

May I weight in here?

The only way to deactivate the effects of red Loctite is applying heat. Seeing as you cannot place this assembly into an oven, I would place a soldering iron probe directly on the fastener. Wait a few minutes and use a QUALITY hex driver to unscrew it. But use caution as applying too much torque will risk stripping the set screw head due to its thin wall. Easy does it..

In the future, feel free to use the blue Loctite, which is endorsed in the aviation industry.

Hope this helps.

Use a Phillips head screwdriver and punch it out from the other side

Exactly what are you punching out here? Where are you placing the point of the punch and what are you holding with what? I am probably going to have to do this when I swap chassis and replace all the bearing soon.

Exactly what are you punching out here? Where are you placing the point of the punch and what are you holding with what? I am probably going to have to do this when I swap chassis and replace all the bearing soon.
Your punching the pinion out. You place the tip of a punch or screwdriver on the flat part of the shaft, inside the coupling where the dog bone sits. Your pushing the pinion in towards the inside of the bulkhead. The arrow in the picture shows where you would be working. They put a lot of red loctite on that little grub screw, and it bled out over the pinion shaft. Lot's of heat first, then a few good taps. necessary if you want to change the two bearings in the bulkhead.

Attachments

• 20190113_142023 - Copy.jpg
    20190113_142023 - Copy.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 70
Your punching the pinion out. You place the tip of a punch or screwdriver on the flat part of the shaft, inside the coupling where the dog bone sits. Your pushing the pinion in towards the inside of the bulkhead. The arrow in the picture shows where you would be working. They put a lot of red loctite on that little grub screw, and it bled out over the pinion shaft. Lot's of heat first, then a few good taps. necessary if you want to change the two bearings in the bulkhead.

Im with ya so far. Just making sure about this. So do y'all clamp the drive cup with vise grips and lay them across something sturdy to drive the pinion out correct.

Im with ya so far. Just making sure about this. So do y'all clamp the drive cup with vise grips and lay them across something sturdy to drive the pinion out correct.[/QUOTEI]
I held the punch between my thumb and index finger, with the cup in the palm of my hand. If you heat it up first, a few quick taps will loosen it up. If you can find a way to use some type of a block to rest it on and keep it balanced, would work too.

I looked back at the pictures but it's hard to tell if I've never done this. Y'all have the cover on the gearbox removed and all the other gears out. You are using the actual gearbox and the pinion bearing as your "vice". Gotcha. Sounds embarrassing but
y'all got to understand, I'm very picky and precise and I don't like doing anything (RC, 1:1, at work, or home) while messing something else up at the same time! I don't like just beating on stuff. LOL. I see clearly now. ???‍♂️???. Thank y'all for hanging in there with me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back