Kraton Took my Kraton exb for its first run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely disagree, these DS3235 are maybe enough for a slow 1/10th car but even then they are just terrible steering servos.
No power, no speed and durability is seriously lacking.
Maybe I am special in that regard, but driving a car with those servos takes all the fun out of it for me.

They just don't compare to a proper servo like an AGF-RC, Promodeler, Holmes Hobbies or even Sävox (which I am not a big fan of either).
Just get something like an AGF-RC A73BHLW and be done with it.

BTW, I really don't understand what your saying about the SS spring and servo torque?

If the SS spring is tight enough to turn the wheels with a given servo and you replace it with a higher torque servo, the wheels are still going to turn the same.
Sure, you might lose that "extra torque" but that won't matter because you already had enough torque to turn the wheels anyway...

And if the spring was to loose, then of course a higher torque servo is not going to remedy that because servo torque wasn't the problem to begin with.

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you tried to say :)
Lets just agree that we disagree.....
Not a fan of Savox either.
1/10 rigs vary in speed and weight. Even a 25 kg servo will suffice in them most of the time.
Your favorite AGF servo there needs 8.4v to get it to 40kg and .10ms speed. Hope your ESC can push 8.4v BEC.
And I am being generous. Most any servo is 30% over rated in specs on average.
DS3235 is no slouch. Is it the best out there?
NO.
But for the $$ and simple bashing it works fine. Torque and speed is fine. Runs great on 7.4v BEC.
Running on a track competitively is a whole new ball of wax. Do you race? Need to program your Servos?
And the more speed and torque a servo has, yes, your Servo Saver better be up to the task, or your Servo will just outpace your Servo Saver.
Servo Saver won't keep up.

Last edited:
I pretty much have the DS3235 in like 16 out of 19 rigs and it's been pretty damn good for me. Granted I don't have experience with much else but both stock and the other amazon servos I tried were definitely slower.

The DS3235 feels fast to me so I can't even imagine what faster feels like.
And FAST can be Too fast. If you've been doing RC for many years and have 17 of them from 1/10 scale to 1/7 of all types, you would realize this.
Even Pro track guys slow down their servos. Dialing in the proper speed.

And FAST can be Too fast. If you've been doing RC for many years and have 17 of them from 1/10 scale to 1/7 of all types, you would realize this.
Even Pro track guys slow down their servos. Dialing in the proper speed.
+1 Bashing in wide open spaces I find slowing the servo down helps A LOT.

Bashing a Very fast rig, doesn't mean you need a Very fast Servo.:giggle:
Of course a dog of a servo ( stockers) or the incorrect one can run TOOO slow also.
Even .12-.13ms servo speed is adequate for most bashing. Torque is most important. Underpowered and you are dead in the water.
Servos that are much too fast are simply hard to control. Works against you.
Like I stated above, even the Pro drivers dial in their servo speed.
When changing out your stocker for a new servo, always consider shimming the Servo Saver while you are there. Most of us end up doing this. Just par for the course.

Lets just agree that we disagree.....
Not a fan of Savox either.
1/10 rigs vary in speed and weight. Even a 25 kg servo will suffice in them most of the time.
Your favorite AGF servo there needs 8.4v to get it to 40kg and .10ms speed. Hope your ESC can push 8.4v BEC.
And I am being generous. Most any servo is 30% over rated in specs on average.
DS3235 is no slouch. Is it the best out there?
NO.
But for the $$ and simple bashing it works fine. Torque and speed is fine. Runs great on 7.4v BEC.
Running on a track competitively is a whole new ball of wax. Do you race? Need to program your Servos?
And the more speed and torque a servo has, yes, your Servo Saver better be up to the task, or your Servo will just outpace your Servo Saver.
Servo Saver won't keep up.
I run the AGF in my Kraton on 7.4V, you don´t always need to max things out. Especially when even on 7.4v its easily double the torque and speed of those noname servos.
It also centers much better, is much more responsive and the gears are easy to get as replacement (should you ever need them, i haven´t)

But I guess thats where personal preference comes into play.
I can´t stand cheap, crappy (imo) servos, not even in cheap cars like a wltoys or something like that.
The only car i own that still runs a DS3235 is my very basic TT-02....and even in that car the servo kills all the fun. Way too slow.
The thought of running a 1k+$ car on a 30$ servo just seems weird to me...

I used to race a few years ago, still go to the track for fun sometimes.
Don´t recall anyone ever turning down their servo speed, even the fastest servo only steers as fast as I turn the steering wheel, so that kind of seems pointless to me...like when people use throttle limiter switches to control the power of the car, that´s what the trigger is for.
Or people building a 3000+$ gaming pc just to cheap out on the PSU, because "all it does is power the damn thing"...and then complain about their pc crashing or burning down.

And sure, you won´t benefit from the higher speeds and torque if your servo saver isn´t set up properly.
But once you have set it up the way you like it, it´s not gonna get worse if you upgrade the servo to a faster/stronger one, it just might not be able to transfer that extra speed/torque to the wheels.

In the end, these are just toys and anyone can do with them as they please.
I just urge everyone to at least try a higher end servo once, to see what they are missing out on with the stock/cheapo servos.

I do think a good quality servo is worth it. Steering is every bit as important as the throttle/brake so why not go with good quality just like you do with the esc. I also rather have a servo too fast/strong and dial it back then one that is too slow/weak. When you get the expensive servo its also not just about performance but also about reliability and build quality to last. Ive heard of people having the Protek servo's they got when they first came out and still running them after having them in multiple rc's. I think TheRCnetwork was one of them with his protek 170sbl. Like said its all personal opinion and if people like the cheap servo thats fine as its probably great for the money. I had one and actually never used it so I cant say if its terrible or not but I could tell the build quality of just the case was nothing close to my other servos. It was also much lighter so im sure the gears were not nearly as robust.

I've had a DS3235 in my M2C Kraton with EXB servo saver spring for the past year. I was blown away by the performance for $32. But just within the past few weeks, the output spline became extremely wobbly. I decided to try out the protek 370tbl this time around, and I've ran it twice now. I don't notice a lick of difference in speed or power. In fact, the 370tbl might be a hair slower. It does seem to hold center much better during long wheelies and back flips, which is nice. Also the build quality is amazing and I'm sure it's the last servo I'll have to buy...

That said, I could have purchased 5 DS3235 servos for the price of the protek.

I've had a DS3235 in my M2C Kraton with EXB servo saver spring for the past year. I was blown away by the performance for $32. But just within the past few weeks, the output spline became extremely wobbly. I decided to try out the protek 370tbl this time around, and I've ran it twice now. I don't notice a lick of difference in speed or power. In fact, the 370tbl might be a hair slower. It does seem to hold center much better during long wheelies and back flips, which is nice. Also the build quality is amazing and I'm sure it's the last servo I'll have to buy...

That said, I could have purchased 5 DS3235 servos for the price of the protek.
The issue I had with the DS3235 (or similar) is that the plastic top of the case eventually flexes, loses true on the internal gear mesh, and the servo stops working. Once i replaced with a full aluminum case servo, issue went away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back