Tool Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Bushman

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
Guys what are your thoughts on good tools? Doing research, MPI seem to be top shelf stuff and while I believe that a poor man pays twice, I would like to know if there are other tools at least almost as good but cost a bit less? I generally try to buy good tools no matter what I'm doing but I also recognise that I'm a newbie and a bit of a part time RC'er unlike a number of you , this means tools that might list you 5yrs probably will last me 15-20yrs. I don't mind buying the MPI's but if there are some others that are also really good quality but a lesser price then I am interested (Hudy maybe??)

Cheers

I own 1.5mm and 2.0mm MIP drivers, a Dynamite 2.5mm and Align speed tips. I was worried that the Dynamite might not hold up as well as the MIP's, but being the biggest of the 3, it's holding up well for what I've asked it to do. The strength and precision of the smaller MIP's will pay you back when dealing with the smaller screws, especially set screws. I changed all the wheel bearings on my Notorious last night, and the set screws in the hubs are all attached with red Loctite. I had to heat them up, and they were still hard to remove, but the Dynamite got the job done without stripping anything.

I've had the MIP 1/4" drive 1.5-3MM bits for 4+ years and they do hold up really well. In the past, I tried a few of the hudy plastic handled wrenches and the tips didn't hold up very long. I use a set of losi hand wrenches (part# LOSA99109) that I bought nearly 20 years ago, 1.5mm-3mm and they hold up really well. I've replaced the 2mm because I pried something and snapped it and ground the tip a bit on the 2.5mm a couple times.

The OFNA 1/4" drive 1.5-3mm (part# 10824) didn't hold up well and neither did the hudy's (part# hud190070).

The Dynamite hex drivers aren’t that good. I have a set. I’m going to replace them with MIP’s.

i have the dynamite and thought they were great until the hex set screw stripped on my big driver trying to get the rear driveshaft cup off...now its totally ruined... i am getting MIP's this week

i have the dynamite and thought they were great until the hex set screw stripped on my big driver trying to get the rear driveshaft cup off...now its totally ruined... i am getting MIP's this week

That happened to all of mine. The set screw strips and then they are basically worthless.

Some driver bits are indeed better than others, but i have always stripped things using included kit Allen keys. I have never used heat before to loosen up grub/set screws. Arrma uses red loctite on them; heat is kind of a must I have learned.

Ok, I noticed it's come loose a couple of times, but didn't realize it was that big of a problem. Gonna drop some red loctite in it this morning and keep my fingers crossed.

I've had one of these multi bit hand drivers since I got the Arrma cars last year and its been ok.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9XL9MR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's handy to have so many different sizes available, but the bits are cheaper and I've stripped one of the smaller ones.

I have a 10+ year old Dubro rubber handle ball-end set that's held up well, but the 3mm spins inside the handle when really torquing it. I also had to grind the ball off one since it was worn out and wouldn't grip any longer.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE255&P=0

I just got some MIP speed bits for Christmas and there's no doubt they're worth the money. I picked up a 1/4" ratcheting driver that I can use with the bits, so I don't know if I'll ever spring for the hand drivers.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...Removable-Bar-and-12-Bits-DWHT69233/203383292

On the subject of heat, can anyone recommend a good pen-style mini torch for heating up parts that isn't too expensive but also isn't crap that's possibly going to explode :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back