Toolkits looking to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zfranklin20

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Got our first truck this weekend, is there a specific tool kit i could pick up to have all tools I’d need to maintain the trucks

Personally I like to have a set of MIP’s and then also a set of the Wera.. this way you have your tight tips(MIP) while using your other ones for all the bolts that aren’t stuck tight... this way you don’t wear down your MIP tips and they stay tight in your screws heads.

Along with MIP drivers I also keep a set of needle nose vise grips on the bench.

MIP metric set.
Number 3, 4 and 5 hex these are not included in the MIP set.
Flat and Phillips head screw driver.
Side cutters/dykes.
Needle nose pliers.
Vice grips.
Center punch.
Small hammer.
Shock pliers.
Turnbuckle wrench.
Nut drivers.
Hobby knife.
Body hole reamer.
Bearing puller.
Pit stand.

Not sure about a complete tool kit. It may exist, but typically these tool kits come with a bunch of tool you won't need.

slick2500's list above is very complete. I would only add a camping headlamp and a file... :)

I would say that a hex driver set, needle-nose plyers and a common x-acto are the only truly mandatory items. This is the bare minimum and you will see as you wrench what additionnal tools you want.

MIP are the best hex drivers for sure, but I was also satisfied with the cheaper Dynamite DYNT2030.

Not sure about a complete tool kit. It may exist, but typically these tool kits come with a bunch of tool you won't need.

slick2500's list above is very complete. I would only add a camping headlamp and a file... :)

I would say that a hex driver set, needle-nose plyers and a common x-acto are the only truly mandatory items. This is the bare minimum and you will see as you wrench what additionnal tools you want.

MIP are the best hex drivers for sure, but I was also satisfied with the cheaper Dynamite DYNT2030.
All this stuff is so confusing! I have survived the past two years with just the stock wrenches and just recently got hexes that go into my screwdriver.

As far as a complete tool kit goes this should get you started, not sure what the quality of this stuff is though https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Z24BGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_mIKZFbJEPEWDW
All this stuff is so confusing! I have survived the past two years with just the stock wrenches and just recently got hexes that go into my screwdriver.
For the longest time my tool kit consisted of a jewelers screwdriver kit, one of those little rtr cross wrenches and a Gerber multitool ? all of my cars at the time just use Phillips hardware.

I think the keyword here is "survived". ;)

Seriously, yes you can maintain the car with a very minimalist tool set, but good luck with the supplied hex keys when you will encounter a stuck pinion or drive cup screw.

Peoples for whom the hobby consists of driving the cars can probably be happy with crappy tools. But for many people, wrenching IS the hobby and driving is only the reward. People in that group enjoy wrenching with quality tools. To each his own.

I think the keyword here is "survived". ;)

Seriously, yes you can maintain the car with a very minimalist tool set, but good luck with the supplied hex keys when you will encounter a stuck pinion or drive cup screw.

Peoples for whom the hobby consists of driving the cars can probably be happy with crappy tools. But for many people, wrenching IS the hobby and driving is only the reward. People in that group enjoy wrenching with quality tools. To each his own.
I guess the issue arises when you have more complex vehicles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back