Tools and parts organization

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big fan of jerry rigging low tech solutions to high tech problems. I love recycling and repurposing items for "off-label" use. For example:

I made a pinion rack for my 5mm pinions from a segment of swamp teak:
View attachment 234015

For my lipos I got a munitions box off Amazon and for tools and parts I repurposed a 35 year old tackle box.
View attachment 234016

I love the idea. Just curious, but did you properly degrease them before spraying them? Shouldn't take more than 2-3 light coats.
Great job! Love your org skills! 👍

Ha! "Degrease em". Never thought of that....just cut em, hung em and sprayed em! I not smart to think of that! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm a big fan of jerry rigging low tech solutions to high tech problems. I love recycling and repurposing items for "off-label" use. For example:

I made a pinion rack for my 5mm pinions from a segment of swamp teak:
View attachment 234015

That would so never work for me. My klutzy self would have the board knocked over and all the pinions on the ground in no time.

I use a Husky/Home Depot double sided divided box for my pinions - that and a Dymo labeler are my best friends.

048B2559-0320-46C3-9506-F58B4F4D1F4A.jpeg

That would so never work for me. My klutzy self would have the board knocked over and all the pinions on the ground in no time.

I use a Husky/Home Depot double sided divided box for my pinions - that and a Dymo labeler are my best friends.

View attachment 234047
Nah man, I can turn it upside down and nothing falls out. You can adjust how tight the pinion fits using the grub screw. They all sit snug, but loose enough that you can pull them out.

All my parts, screws, charger, radios, soldering gear, wires, connectors, etc go in a pair of cabinets I mounted over the work bench.
20220805_105951.jpg

I also store my molds above it and chemicals / materials on the rack above the fridge.
It is nice to shut the doors and hide it all away!
20220805_110027.jpg

Lots of separators and containers of screws, gears and random parts. I like using cardboard boxes to hold larger parts and label by type like arrma 6s, boats, and hobao for example.
20220805_110049.jpg

Bigger storage I mounted to the wall where I didn't want to have my larger shelving racks.
20220805_110004.jpg

Thanks! Works great and can make em for different size tires too! 👍

Yeah, I'm a little OCD when it comes to being organized. 😂🤷‍♂️
I on the other hand, am not 😆 but I have a "system" of various boxes & bags of stuff. Some of which are even labeled!😁

This makes me feel a lil better about having a shelf of cars and my work table basically in the "dining" area of our apartment. Who has dining tables these days anyway? :ROFLMAO:
My dining and kitchen have disappeared under all my RC stuff. Early in the hobby I learned not to throw anything away. Now I need to throw some sh@t out but have a hard time doing it. I have a motor with the shaft broke off even with the can I’ll never throw away?!?🥴😆😊.

How are the duratrax crawler tires?
I've had really good luck with them. Now i haven't run them in about 5 years! I got away from RC and am just now in the process of fixing, upgrading. installing things that I just walked away from back then lol. I do remember that I used a softer foam insert in them. I'll have a look at my old notes and tell ya what they are. I also remember that those tires were a LOT cheaper than say the Prolines etc.

thats how my hobbyroom looked before everything was installed.

And then when I started setup things:

WOW....that's a HUGE hobby room. So jealous. Question though....that doesn't look like a home/basement setup. Looks like an industrial/commercial space. Is it a space you rent just for your hobby stuff, or do you have a hobby based business? Just curious.

WOW....that's a HUGE hobby room. So jealous. Question though....that doesn't look like a home/basement setup. Looks like an industrial/commercial space. Is it a space you rent just for your hobby stuff, or do you have a hobby based business? Just curious.
Well its in a big rather commercial place in the basement (about 42m2). Got everything, water, electricity and even toilet with shower(not in my room, kinda next to it). I am kinda a car collector and my home ran out of space so I had to look around. My work is payed well and so I can afford the room and still buy many things. I would like to have a rc business but would be probably out of business in the first year as I am to kind. So no its for me and friends if they want to make something. I even got a Snapmaker 2.0, a little turning lathe? and a grinding lathe, a standdrill and many instruments/tools. The machines are both older models but in very good shape. I wanted to have enough space to but things there and not to tidy up each time because space is used for other things as well. So I can leave stuff and work on it when getting back. Also now I got more big cars then little ones :) Will make new fotos if you want how it looks now. I don't want to show off, just like it very much. I also can go there and have my piece as it is very quiet down there :D.

Well its in a big rather commercial place in the basement (about 42m2). Got everything, water, electricity and even toilet with shower(not in my room, kinda next to it). I am kinda a car collector and my home ran out of space so I had to look around. My work is payed well and so I can afford the room and still buy many things. I would like to have a rc business but would be probably out of business in the first year as I am to kind. So no its for me and friends if they want to make something. I even got a Snapmaker 2.0, a little turning lathe? and a grinding lathe, a standdrill and many instruments/tools. The machines are both older models but in very good shape. I wanted to have enough space to but things there and not to tidy up each time because space is used for other things as well. So I can leave stuff and work on it when getting back. Also now I got more big cars then little ones :) Will make new fotos if you want how it looks now. I don't want to show off, just like it very much. I also can go there and have my piece as it is very quiet down there :D.
That's great. I get it. More space to work with is always good, heh. And if you have the means, then why the hell not?! Oh and yes...by all means, feel free to share more photos of your current setup! I know i'd love to see it and am sure others would too.

I’ve got no dedicated workspace to take a picture of. Right now I’ve got an older flip lid toolbox with what little stuff I have and I’ll use a box or something I figure out on my computer desk to work on my 1 rc lol. Y’all making me jealous

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back