Tools for getting started in RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the complete Metric set now, short of the turnbuckle wrenches as I definitely wouldn't use them as I have a pretty comprehensive set of workshop tools already, but for the most part Its a bit of an OCD thing with myself, I would prefer to have it and only used it once or twice that not have it and waste an hour trying to jimmy something up and end up botching it up even more ??
Just my experience having worked on cars an bikes the last 20 years.

I have the complete Metric set now, short of the turnbuckle wrenches as I definitely wouldn't use them as I have a pretty comprehensive set of workshop tools already, but for the most part Its a bit of an OCD thing with myself, I would prefer to have it and only used it once or twice that not have it and waste an hour trying to jimmy something up and end up botching it up even more ??
Just my experience having worked on cars an bikes the last 20 years.
Wondering about the black rubber tips on the hex drivers. Did you buy them or did they come in the bags? They're nice to have so they don't tear a hole in in the tool pouch I bring to the bash sites. Most of the MIP tools set bags in the shops or online I saw did not have the rubber tips. Only the hex ball set had them. Is that an old stock thing or something new with the tips? Where did you buy your drivers?

Wondering about the black rubber tips on the hex drivers. Did you buy them or did they come in the bags? They're nice to have so they don't tear a hole in in the tool pouch I bring to the bash sites. Most of the MIP tools set bags in the shops or online I saw did not have the rubber tips. Only the hex ball set had them. Is that an old stock thing or something new with the tips? Where did you buy your drivers?
Hey mate they come with the drivers, they also come with the Hex size stickers and heatshrink to protect the sticker. I bought mine from Amped RC here in Australia.

Anyone suggest a White Lithium Grease for us UK based folk? The permatex stuff seems to not have a local supplier and the import postage quotes are extortionate...

Anyone suggest a White Lithium Grease for us UK based folk? The permatex stuff seems to not have a local supplier and the import postage quotes are extortionate...
Just get some Red n Tacky or Mobile 1 Synthetic

Hello All. Is there any difference between the Dynamite Tool Start Up Set Metric vs US (imperial) other than the obvious naming? Are all the hex drivers et all the same sizes for both sets? DYN2834 vs DYN2835. The metric set seems sold out everywhere. I am able to find the US at a few places...

A little pricey....but i guess worth it hey?
A little bit pricey but IMO they are worth it. They will most likely save you the frustration of stripping out you screws, and are a very popular here on the forum.

Hello All. Is there any difference between the Dynamite Tool Start Up Set Metric vs US (imperial) other than the obvious naming? Are all the hex drivers et all the same sizes for both sets? DYN2834 vs DYN2835. The metric set seems sold out everywhere. I am able to find the US at a few places...
The inperial set is in inches, and the Metric set is metric. Yes, they are physically different, and you want the metric version.

MIP are top shelf. I have some, very nice quality. But, I didn't start there. If you have the money, then get them, don't look back. you want the 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5. If you can't afford $60 for MIP tools, you can get by with cheaper tools, but they will wear out pretty quick, and slightly worn hex wrenches will strip screws...

Personally, I was (am) a budget RC guy, so I started with some cheap tools. When I was at the hobby shop with a few extra bucks, I grabbed one MIP tip for my drill motor, till I had the set. When my cheap hand tools wore out, I replaced the tips with Team-EDS tips -
https://www.team-eds.com/category-s/1864.htm
These are great quality - not quite MIP quality, but much higher than the china-rebrand cheap tools. I have had mine a long time and the 1.5mm & 2.0mm are still in great condition.

I like handles like these -
https://www.amazon.com/IFLYRC-Screw...s=toys-and-games&sprefix=hex+,aps,284&sr=1-20
The tips are probably crap. But I like those handles. Hex, not round, so they won't roll off the workbench. Also, mine are 17mm, so I can use my wheel nut wrench on the handle if I need a bit more torque or control. Last - they are color coded - this is a huge time saver. I taped my hand tools to match the MIP colors - White for 1/5, red for 2.0, blue for 2.5, and this makes it easy to gab the right wrench...

So $15 for the cheap tools, plus $20 for the EDS tips, $35. Cheaper than the $60 for MIP hand tools, and gets you a great quality set of hand tools.

The inperial set is in inches, and the Metric set is metric. Yes, they are physically different, and you want the metric version.

MIP are top shelf. I have some, very nice quality. But, I didn't start there. If you have the money, then get them, don't look back. you want the 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5. If you can't afford $60 for MIP tools, you can get by with cheaper tools, but they will wear out pretty quick, and slightly worn hex wrenches will strip screws...

Personally, I was (am) a budget RC guy, so I started with some cheap tools. When I was at the hobby shop with a few extra bucks, I grabbed one MIP tip for my drill motor, till I had the set. When my cheap hand tools wore out, I replaced the tips with Team-EDS tips -
https://www.team-eds.com/category-s/1864.htm
These are great quality - not quite MIP quality, but much higher than the china-rebrand cheap tools. I have had mine a long time and the 1.5mm & 2.0mm are still in great condition.

I like handles like these -
https://www.amazon.com/IFLYRC-Screwdriver-Hexagon-Wrench-Repair/dp/B07PHDDBKZ/ref=sr_1_20?crid=14USDPT95SEW7&dchild=1&keywords=hex+wrenches+set&qid=1591270532&rnid=2941120011&s=toys-and-games&sprefix=hex+,aps,284&sr=1-20
The tips are probably crap. But I like those handles. Hex, not round, so they won't roll off the workbench. Also, mine are 17mm, so I can use my wheel nut wrench on the handle if I need a bit more torque or control. Last - they are color coded - this is a huge time saver. I taped my hand tools to match the MIP colors - White for 1/5, red for 2.0, blue for 2.5, and this makes it easy to gab the right wrench...

So $15 for the cheap tools, plus $20 for the EDS tips, $35. Cheaper than the $60 for MIP hand tools, and gets you a great quality set of hand tools.
THANK YOU! This is awesome. Just what I was looking for. So Metric is what I need and MIP is the end goal!

You can also get the MIP speed bits. They are a bit cheaper than the full handle ones. I only use my handled wrenches to break things loose or finish the last little bit while tightening. Otherwise I use an electric driver with a clutch and the mip speed bits.

THANK YOU! This is awesome. Just what I was looking for. So Metric is what I need and MIP is the end goal!
Mip is the best choice in long run and for someone who plans on being in the hobby for years to come. They will last many many builds and tons of repairs. If you just need a tool set just to build a kit and don't plan on doing a lot repairs then almost any hex set will do to tighten up and install new screws but when its time to do repairs and need to back out a few lock tightened screws, that where you will see the difference in the higher priced Mip tools. The handles look old school like tools from a granddaddy's old tool box but they are incredibly comfortable in the hand and they don't get hot while wrenching either.

Does anyone have the following tool kit from Tamiya? Tamiya is a sold name. It has all that is needed (I believe). Has good reviews on longevity. Any i love the price!

https://www.amazon.ca/Tamiya-RC-Tool-Set-8pcs/dp/B01LYOONMJ

Yes yes yes. MIP. I know. But I am looking for other options. I have a Granite 4x4 MEGA. I don't need rocket ship quality MIP drivers right now.

Does anyone have the following tool kit from Tamiya? Tamiya is a sold name. It has all that is needed (I believe). Has good reviews on longevity. Any i love the price!

https://www.amazon.ca/Tamiya-RC-Tool-Set-8pcs/dp/B01LYOONMJ

Yes yes yes. MIP. I know. But I am looking for other options. I have a Granite 4x4 MEGA. I don't need rocket ship quality MIP drivers right now.
Not sure on Tamiya tool quality or durability since I have never heard anything about them but looks like half the tools in the kit are common screw driver heads you probably have already.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back