Tools for getting started in RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just received all of my MIP hex drivers and speed hex drivers. Got them in every size. But why don’t they offer a 4 and 5mm driver / speed driver!

Since they don’t have the 4 and 5mm I went a head and ordered WIHA’s full T handle set and a 4 and 5mm speed driver last night to go with the rest of my MIP set.

I know MIP is good but does anyone have any experience with WIHA Tools? Heard they are good too

You may be better off piecing together a good set. Those are an ok starter set, but they won't last the longest.

Awesome, thanks. I ended up doing just that, piecing a decent set together working off of the OP's suggestions.

Thanks for the recommendation of MIP drivers! It's apparent a microtorch and premium drivers are essential until one can rid themselves of the curse of Arrma factory threadlock. All my TBS and Turnigy drivers have been fine for multirotors, etc. but these things require so much more wrenching. I reckon breaking screws loose and the final snug are the most important so I got the hand drivers as Amain already sent me some nice speed tips for my Ryobi 8V. Thanks once again for helping someone provide the best experience for themselves, good tools are never a letdown at the end of the day anyway. Cheers

Whoops, didn't know I was raising an old thread from the depths, sorry.

Hi, newbie here. I recently purchased the Senton 3s blx for myself and this topic is ecactly what i was hoping to find. Ive already stripped the plastic tool used to remove the lug nuts. And I want to get the necessary tools to work on my truck but have no clue what to get as far as sizes. So can anyone provide me a list of tools that are crucial for maintenance? And if you have links to where I can obtain them will be highly appreciated. Thank you for your help

Hi, newbie here. I recently purchased the Senton 3s blx for myself and this topic is ecactly what i was hoping to find. Ive already stripped the plastic tool used to remove the lug nuts. And I want to get the necessary tools to work on my truck but have no clue what to get as far as sizes. So can anyone provide me a list of tools that are crucial for maintenance? And if you have links to where I can obtain them will be highly appreciated. Thank you for your help
I've accumulated a few of those little Tamiya style 4-way cross/spanner wrenches over the years, and always put one in my pocket in case I need it for those 7mm wheel nuts.
1609071834484.png

The only advise that I can pass along for choosing the right set of tools to use... grip size. I've gone many decades with the run-of-the-mill hex drivers. It was not until the past few years that I've come to appreciate RC tools with larger "full size" grips like my Craftsman tools, or what size the amber grips MIP tools have, while doing RC builds and maintenance. Me being an older gentleman now, those larger grips just feel "right". Game changer goodness. I totally get it when people mention/recommend MIP hex drivers.

For me, to get that "full size" grip feel, and dual use in my power screwdriver, I went with MIP Speed Tips, and Malco CONNEXT1 quick change standard nut driver handle. That combo has taken my maintenance regimen to the next level. I probably will pick up two more CONNEXT1 handles, or a set of MIP handled drivers... just haven't decided yet.
1609077984723.png
+
1609077946762.png

I should have done the full size grip "thing" decades ago. Heck, I'd probably buy an Integy hex driver set if they offered larger "full sized" grips, 'cause I still use their SAE set that I purchased in the early 90's. I've found Integy to have great tools (at least their early stuff was proven to me) despite their reputation of some of their stuff being so-so.

I've accumulated a few of those little Tamiya style 4-way cross/spanner wrenches over the years, and always put one in my pocket in case I need it for those 7mm wheel nuts.
View attachment 116101
The only advise that I can pass along for choosing the right set of tools to use... grip size. I've gone many decades with the run-of-the-mill hex drivers. It was not until the past few years that I've come to appreciate RC tools with larger "full size" grips like my Craftsman tools, or what size the amber grips MIP tools have, while doing RC builds and maintenance. Me being an older gentleman now, those larger grips just feel "right". Game changer goodness. I totally get it when people mention/recommend MIP hex drivers.

For me, to get that "full size" grip feel, and dual use in my power screwdriver, I went with MIP Speed Tips, and Malco CONNEXT1 quick change standard nut driver handle. That combo has taken my maintenance regimen to the next level. I probably will pick up two more CONNEXT1 handles, or a set of MIP handled drivers... just haven't decided yet.
View attachment 116112 + View attachment 116111

I should have done the full size grip "thing" decades ago. Heck, I'd probably buy an Integy hex driver set if they offered larger "full sized" grips, 'cause I still use their SAE set that I purchased in the early 90's. I've found Integy to have great tools (at least their early stuff was proven to me) despite their reputation of some of their stuff being so-so.

Even better yet, is to have one of these for your mip speed tips. ? Love mine!

A81081C9-D992-4F2F-8FD8-2619301DE040.jpeg

Then add this and your unstoppable!

BE266E86-B044-483E-88C7-D41FF8CA3329.jpeg

Last edited:
Get rid of the red plastic tool that comes with new cars, stripped one out on first tire removal!! I also still use the small cross wrench, still using the one from my Blackfoot of long ago ha ha yes I'm a vintage guy ? ?

I bought a set of craftsman ignition wrenches 5-11 mm. I needed the 5 to make adjustments to the turnbuckles on my v3 3s typhon to set the toe and camber on each wheel but they can be used for other things as well. very good quality and lifetime warranty. Highly recommend

If you've been in R/C for several years and have hundreds of dollars in tools already, this post isn't going to be useful for you. If you're just getting started in R/C, maybe you just picked up your first Arrma model and want to know what tools to pick up... this post is exactly for you!

Short version:

Hex Drivers

Arrma, along with most any other manufacture, usually includes some L hex wrenches. These are usually a pain to use especially in hard to reach areas and do a great job at rounding your hex heads and for those reasons I recommend throwing them away or giving them to someone you don't like.

Bondhus makes great tools, offer a lifetime warranty, and make tools here in the USA and offer some very nice priced tools that are great to get started with, like the Bondhus 10686 6-piece set. Which includes 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, & 5.0mm hex drivers.

In addition you'll also want to pick up a Bondhus .050" hex driver. For less than $20 you'll have all your hex screw needs covered and then some.

Nut Drivers

The tiny 4-way cross wrench isn't bad, truth be told I still use mine every once in a while but have a couple nut drivers makes the work far more easier and quicker.

The Dynamite metric nut driver set is a nice set that's going to cover both the 5.5mm and 7mm nuts used on most Arrma models.

Screwdrivers

You probably likely already have a couple screwdrivers laying around somewhere but if not then the Tekton 4 piece set makes a nice set to cover both slotted and phillips screws.

Other Stuff

There are a couple more things I'd recommend adding to your R/C toolbox to finish it off. Needle nose pliers, again something you may already have if not any, if not again the Tekton 3504 needle nose pliers for a few bucks will be fine.

Blue thread lock, as you'll be using this anytime a screw goes into a metal piece to prevent the screw from backing out. I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of the Loctite blue sticks. You can get the small bottle version but with the sticks you don't have to worry about it leaking, dripping, running, or drying out. It goes exactly where you put it.

To finish it off, get some permatex white lithium grease. This offers great lubrication without being overly messy or thick.

For not much money you can have pretty much all the tools you're going to need to work on your Arrma RC's that's going to last you a good long time and a toolbox that will go with you as you buy more and more RC's.
Great advice. Thank you

So I just received all of my MIP hex drivers and speed hex drivers. Got them in every size. But why don’t they offer a 4 and 5mm driver / speed driver!

Since they don’t have the 4 and 5mm I went a head and ordered WIHA’s full T handle set and a 4 and 5mm speed driver last night to go with the rest of my MIP set.

I know MIP is good but does anyone have any experience with WIHA Tools? Heard they are good too
WIHA are a premium brand bud, you'll be fine with those!! I'm a Wera fan myself, and a long time fan of Swiss tool, but WiHA are definitely high-end product, I'm going to source some MIP speedbits due to all the Fans and reviews, but Wera will be my handtool of choice :)

WIHA are a premium brand bud, you'll be fine with those!! I'm a Wera fan myself, and a long time fan of Swiss tool, but WiHA are definitely high-end product, I'm going to source some MIP speedbits due to all the Fans and reviews, but Wera will be my handtool of choice :)
i have several wera hex screwdrivers and bits and mip is by far better. i like wera tip design but they do not fit tight enough in the hex. mip also seems hardened more. anything 1.5mm and larger there probably isnt anything better than mip but i always like trying new tools. i also have a 2mm traxxas speedbit that is surprisingly good.

Last edited:
I’m new to Armma, but not new to RC. My choice for hex drivers and nut drivers is Protek. I’ve found over the years that a lot of inexpensive driver tend to strip hex screws, especially the ones with 1.5mm heads. I thought the Wiha and Wera tools were great until I got the Proteks. The Proteks have beautifully machined driving surfaces that fit tightly into any fastener. The only tool I now need is a 17mm wrench for the Armma wheel nuts (I got rid of mine several years ago when I gave up RC for a few years). Any suggestions?

Phenomenal thread! Thank you WoodiE! Extremely helpful for noobs like myself.

I just purchased the MIPs 1.5, 2, and 2.5mm hex set, the Dynamite metric nut driver sets, Loctite and Permatex all recommended here! I also purchased the Zeee lipo fireproof bag (even though I'm using the Spektrum branded batteries for ease of use) and a Spektrum G2 1x200w charger. I could've went for the first gen chargers for a little savings, but after also needing to purchase IC3-to-IC5 adapters, I'd only save a little. Less clutter the better.

Anyways, thanks again for this very noob friendly thread! (y)

When I got into the hobby about a year ago I got a Traxxas ratchet set which served me well until I round out a 1.5mm pinion grub screw, the 1.5, 2 and 2.5mm bits had round off just enough with lots of use to start causing issues. I dutifully went off and bought a set of MIPs screwdrivers in the same size based on the reviews here. Great tools and they fit great, however I quickly realised how much I liked using the ratchet function from the Traxxas set and much faster it made wrenching. The Traxxas bits are a weird 1/8" shaft so can't be used with MIP Speed tips.
So I figure the best combo is probably getting some MIP speed tips and a ratchet driver like the Wera below.

Is anyone else using that combo? I prefer a manual driver over an electric, any other recommendations for a quality driver?
Links below for those playing at home.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3415
https://www.miponline.com/MIP-Hex-Driver-Wrench-Set-Metric-3-1-5mm-2-0mm-and-2-5mm-9502
https://www.miponline.com/MIP-Speed-Tip-Hex-Driver-Wrench-Set-Metric-3-1-5mm-2-0mm-and-2-5mm-9512
https://products.wera.de/en/kraftfo...tooth_system_for_precision_work_kk_60_ra.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back