Granite Tools for working on a Granite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Having recently got my Granite and managed to break it, I am looking to put a set of tools together to work on / repair it.

I guess this is a stupid question, but what tools do I need to be able to do most things?

I thought I would start with a set of hex drivers, but what sizes do I need ?

Are there any others tools that I should get that will be needed as I move forward?

Many Thanks all.

Jonathan

Thanks for pointing that out, I should have looked properly first, sorry.

Some of those items I guess are known by different names in the uk.... but I’m working on my shopping list!

How often is a 1.5mm hex driver needed? I can find some sets that look ok but they all seem to start from 2mm and go up, is this likely to be a problem for me?

Thanks

Some of those items I guess are known by different names in the uk.... but I’m working on my shopping list!

How often is a 1.5mm hex driver needed? I can find some sets that look ok but they all seem to start from 2mm and go up, is this likely to be a problem for me?

Thanks

MIP tools are nice. Come w 1.5, 2 and 2.5mm.

Socket Wrench for the wheels.

Pliars, small med large.

Thanks

I am pretty sure you need a 1.5 for the pinion, so make sure you get 1.5, 2.0.and 2.5.

For nut drivers, you need 5.5.and 7.0. I guess you have these sizes with the supplier cross wrench (or whatever it is called). I like having dedicated nut drivers, but it is not essential.

I highly recommend getting MIP hex drivers if they're available in the UK. The first time you round a screw head you'll be wishing you spent that extra 15 pounds/euros/dollars.

I highly recommend getting MIP hex drivers if they're available in the UK. The first time you round a screw head you'll be wishing you spent that extra 15 pounds/euros/dollars.
Yep. And the second and third and so on!

I got the HobbyPark 21 in 1 tool kit. It has everything you need (and some you won't use) to maintain a Granite. Very happy with the purchase. The case keeps them nice and organized. It has a 1.5 hex and yes the Granite has screws that require a 1.5. You may want to add a simple L shaped 2.0 hex wrench to tighten/loosen the slipper clutch, A wrench with a handle won't fit.

I did purchase some additional tools, but only for upgrades that required them. I also got a Tekno shock wrench and turnbuckle wrench. The HobbyPark took kit has these, but the Tekno tools are easier to use. Downside is Tekno stuff is really too expensive.

Last edited:
I got the HobbyPark 21 in 1 tool kit. It has everything you need (and some you won't use) to maintain a Granite. Very happy with the purchase. The case keeps them nice and organized. It has a 1.5 hex and yes the Granite has screws that require a 1.5. You may want to add a simple L shaped 2.0 hex wrench to tighten/loosen the slipper clutch, A wrench with a handle won't fit.

I did purchase some additional tools, but only for upgrades that required them. I also got a Tekno shock wrench and turnbuckle wrench. The HobbyPark took kit has these, but the Tekno tools are easier to use. Downside is Tekno stuff is really too expensive.
Looking at this kit, seemed pricey (I haven’t priced until now, just based on other trade tools I was surprised it was $90), what does the 21in1 offer that is needed for the granite that the 11in1 doesn’t have?

Im already stripping the included red plastic wheel nut tool, so I figure I’ll need a couple basic pieces soon.

The price for the HobbyPark kit is excessive and so is the MIPS. Something that is starting to annoy me is the excessive price for anything related to RC. I refuse to pay the "RC mark up" on screwdriver bits. I feel anything that's made by a Hobby or RC brand gives them an excuse to apply a ridiculous mark up.

There must bits and tools made by reputable brands that are for professional use that would offer similar performance. If I can get this Bosch titanium screw set for less than half the price https://www.amazon.com.au/Bosch-V-Line-Titanium-Screwdriver-Ratchet/dp/B00GGKMNTO there's really no reason why hobby brands should be charging so much for "hobby" grade stuff.

The price for the HobbyPark kit is excessive and so is the MIPS. Something that is starting to annoy me is the excessive price for anything related to RC. I refuse to pay the "RC mark up" on screwdriver bits. I feel anything that's made by a Hobby or RC brand gives them an excuse to apply a ridiculous mark up.

There must bits and tools made by reputable brands that are for professional use that would offer similar performance. If I can get this Bosch titanium screw set for less than half the price https://www.amazon.com.au/Bosch-V-Line-Titanium-Screwdriver-Ratchet/dp/B00GGKMNTO there's really no reason why hobby brands should be charging so much for "hobby" grade stuff.
I agree for the most part but have you used MIP drivers?

Thanks, that’s how I felt about it. I do have some of these tools and sizes from other projects. I haven’t tried yet, but I was concerned about some of the driver/bitsmaybe not fitting in some of the tight spaces of the RC due to the shafts being a much larger diameter than the tip. Def has to be some more reasonably priced options, as you linked with the Bosche kit.

I agree for the most part but have you used MIP drivers?

I haven't yet. I did read the description of the MIP drivers and I appreciate the engineering involved. Apparently it's super tight tolerances which I can appreciate would cost more. But I don't believe an actual hardware maker like Bosch, Dewalt or some other brand can't do the same thing. In fact I bet they could do it for much cheaper. I think a builder or technician who use these kinds of tools daily for their job would laugh at what we're paying for tools.

Like this for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bondhus-40...9082?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0
Ball end tip which is probably perfect for RC use because you can insert the tip on an angle.

Last edited:
I haven't yet. I did read the description of the MIP drivers and I appreciate the engineering involved. Apparently it's super tight tolerances which I can appreciate would cost more. But I don't believe an actual hardware maker like Bosch, Dewalt or some other brand can't do the same thing. In fact I bet they could do it for much cheaper. I think a builder or technician who use these kinds of tools daily for their job would laugh at what we're paying for tools.

If you work on your RC’s a lot then the MIP’s are actually worth the price even though they are ridiculously over priced. The screws on our RC’s aren’t always quality so a good driver is worth the headache a low quality fitting driver would cause. Some of the other tools though aren’t worth the extra money.

Looking at this kit, seemed pricey (I haven’t priced until now, just based on other trade tools I was surprised it was $90), what does the 21in1 offer that is needed for the granite that the 11in1 doesn’t have?

Im already stripping the included red plastic wheel nut tool, so I figure I’ll need a couple basic pieces soon.

Depending on what upgrades you do in the future, the 11 in 1 may be enough. As far as working on my Granite, there are a few things the 21 in 1 provides that I have needed.

- The turnbuckle wrench (5mm) - you will want one, even if you don't adjust your turnbuckles, they will get knocked out of alignment and bind up. I actually don't use the Hobbypark one because the Tekno one is much easier to use. I need it after EVERY run. A small adjustable wrench may also work.
- The bearing popper - You are likely to want one. Sure you can pry bearings out with a variety of tools, but this makes it much easier and you won't end up mangling your bearings
- The hole maker for lexan bodies. Until you get a new body, you won't need this. But if you do, you will have to make holes for the body mounts. This tool makes it incredibly easy.
- The scissor for lexan bodies. If you never get a new body, you may never need this. I have surgical scissors, I thought they would be better. But it's not even close, these specialized scissors cut Lexan much more easily
- The shock wrench - I don't think you need this for stock Granite shocks. But if you upgrade your shocks, you will want one. Again, I don't use the Hobbypark one because I have a Tekno shock wrench.

In retrospect, getting the 11 in 1 or the Bondhus set you got and adding a few more individual tools might have been the optimal solution. But I'm still happy with the 21 in 1.

That included red plastic wheel nut tool strips on first use. It's garbage. You will definitely need a replacement.

Last edited:
So far my Amazon cheapos are holding up better than the MIPs did.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bondhus-40...9082?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0
Ball end tip which is probably perfect for RC use because you can insert the tip on an angle.
My personal opinion: do not get ball end tips.
I bought a set of, supposedly good-quality, ball end tip drivers. The shaft above the tip is marginally wider than the tip itself, so the 2mm driver did not fit through the diff outdrives. More importantly, I broke off one of the tips while trying to turn a threadlocked screw. A ball tip driver will, of course, break just above the ball. That meant I had the ball tip stuck in the grub screw of my pinion. Both the tip and the pinion were too hard to drill, so I had to use an angle grinder to remove the pinion from the motor shaft. Would not recommend the whole ordeal.
I bought a "regular" hex driver from the same brand and it's great.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back