Kraton Tossing the safe-d clip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 3s
Past two runs my rig has apparently thrown the safe d e-clip off the motor shaft. Last time the pinion started creeping forward. This time it appears to have not moved. Two different clips. Anyone else experienced this? Wondering if the slot is a bit out of tolerance....

Last edited:
Yep, they do not stay on mine was gone before I even realized, didn't bother buying a new one, and have had no issues with my pinion falling off after I put Loctite on it.
Yea it is funny. I have never had it on an RC motor in 30 years but now that I do I feel like it NEEDS to be there. 😂

As long as you properly install your pinion and get it torqued down good with some loctite it's totally unnecessary. I haven't used them since I first changed the pinion and don't plan to as they can come off and go into the gear mesh and destroy your spur/pinion possibly.

Past two runs my rig has apparently thrown the safe d e-clip off the motor shaft. Last time the pinion started creeping forward. This time it appears to have not moved. Two different clips. Anyone else experienced this? Wondering if the slot is a bit out of tolerance....

Same thing happened to me man!

Believe it or not I have a brand new talion and after the first run or two I noticed the pinion was totally loose and only held on by the E-Clip. The pinion would have totally fallen off without the clip...

Fast forward a month or two and now my rigg has tossed TWO E-Clips just like yours....I can't seem to get them to stay. Luckily the thread lock is holding....

They are so annoying to remove I don't even bother to put them on.

They are so annoying to remove I don't even bother to put them on.

I don't have a problem. I use a good pair of needle nose, hold it right by the back of the middle prong and stick shove it right on. I remove it the same way. Grab it right behind the middle E with good pliers and just pull straight out. Trick is it needs to be lined up perfect and you need it to put straight center.

So my rigg tossed two more clips since my last post. Never had a motor throw a clip even once, never mind over and over again.

I don't use the e-clip anymore.

Running my Kraton last night I heard it make an odd sound and no more go. Took a look and the pinion had slipped forward on the motor shaft. Diff gear ate up the top of the set screw (grub screw you guys call it). I had to carefully drill out the top of the set screw to get it out. No E clip on mine but I'd sure feel better with one on there personally, if it'll stay. Maybe a small lock ring would be better as the centrifugal force is likely throwing the E clip off at speed.

The pinion is pretty worn and is very loose on the motor shaft so I'm on the hunt for a replacement. Is Tekno the brand recommended? Best place to get one?
20220113_171431.jpg

I can't get the clip to stay on. But I am using the tekno pinion, and since then it hasn't come loose. I'm going to red or green threadlock it next time I take it out. It really isn't permanent, you just use a needle torch to heat up the screw until it just starts to smoke, then stop, that means the threadlock has let go and will come off like butter.

Also a good idea to clean the grub screw with solvent and the threadlock will stick a lot better.

My Big Rock has thrown the clip a couple time's, best part is they were know where to be found.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back