Kraton Totally bulletproof differential

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can’t replace only the gears. Replace everything with redcat except ring and pinion.

I am curious but is this the correct set I need to rebuild my Diffs? I have a Kraton v5. Does it fit?

Download.jpeg

Last edited:
If you need a beefier ring and pinion, change to the EXB diffs. Make sure to get the 18x20 shims if you want an open diff. LSD is fine for Front and Center too.
You don't have to buy shims there is a video to turn LSD shims and make it open

You don't have to buy shims there is a video to turn LSD shims and make it open
I will stick with $1 worth of shims. Not that much of an investment and know they hold up better than someone’s short cut. 🤘🏻

I will stick with $1 worth of shims. Not that much of an investment and know they hold up better than someone’s short cut. 🤘🏻
Shortcut ??? Video was uploaded by horizon hobby service
I using there method and I have
Hmm what shims are you using for 1us just next time I will buy for replacement

Last edited:
Shortcut ??? Video was uploaded by horizon hobby service
I using there method and I have
I’m curious, do you have a link for that video by chance? I’ve seen several videos covering this, but not from Horizon.

I’m curious, do you have a link for that video by chance? I’ve seen several videos covering this, but not from Horizon.
I trying to find it for myself if find it I will post it

I trying to find it for myself if find it I will post it
I used the “official” method to convert my Kraton EXB’s rear lsd diff to open. You use two of the big beefy shims in the ARA311094 shim set from Arrma to replace the 6 lsd plates in the diff. Running 50k/500k/30k for oil weights.

Handles really well and easy to drive for the most part, but I do notice oversteer that turns into full on uncontrollable fishtailing when driving fast on low traction surfaces like gravel. I’ll be working on tweaking that after I solve a couple other issues I’m currently working through. Could be just the drivers fault though!

I'm only seeming to have problems with the ring and pinion gear, not the internals...so far.

Wondering when m2c gonna start making complete diff setups lol

I'm only seeming to have problems with the ring and pinion gear, not the internals...so far.

Wondering when m2c gonna start making complete diff setups lo

I also found it was far easier to get consistency through the entire rotation when using Hot Racing’s gearboxes.

That said, I did have one HR gearbox that due to variances I found it was impossible to remove play from the input gear alone. Basically after the input gear was installed with the input cup secured, there was play with the diff box. And when I shimmed it to remove this play, the mesh was far too tight when I installed the diff. So this particular HR gearbox ended up being unusable. But this was only on one sample, the others have all been great.

I also found it was far easier to get consistency through the entire rotation when using Hot Racing’s gearboxes.

That said, I did have one HR gearbox that due to variances I found it was impossible to remove play from the input gear alone. Basically after the input gear was installed with the input cup secured, there was play with the diff box. And when I shimmed it to remove this play, the mesh was far too tight when I installed the diff. So this particular HR gearbox ended up being unusable. But this was only on one sample, the others have all been great.
Did you get a refund on that? I've eyeballed the hot racing stuff though but more metal is more weight and these kratons are already heavy as hell as is.

I didn’t get around to seeing about a refund yet - will try soon.

I also had concerns about weight of these HR gearboxes but then I weighed them and compared with the stock plastic using a baking scale. Turns out the HR gearboxes are only a few grams heavier than the stock Arrma plastic! The difference is negligible.

I didn’t get around to seeing about a refund yet - will try soon.

I also had concerns about weight of these HR gearboxes but then I weighed them and compared with the stock plastic using a baking scale. Turns out the HR gearboxes are only a few grams heavier than the stock Arrma plastic! The difference is negligible.
That's not too shabby! Everyone seems to be sold out of everything right now...

HR cases need 3 different parts, looks closely. GPM and Vitavon are a full set. Many recommend a seal between chassis and alu case as well. Quality wise they all seem to be adequate with fitment, as above, always being a concern.

That's not too shabby! Everyone seems to be sold out of everything right now...
The HR gearboxes don’t seem to stay in stock longer than a couple of weeks when they become available every couple of months.... I don’t know why these companies don’t do bigger production runs....
HR cases need 3 different parts, looks closely. GPM and Vitavon are a full set. Many recommend a seal between chassis and alu case as well. Quality wise they all seem to be adequate with fitment, as above, always being a concern.
Yes that’s a good point - the HR gearboxes don’t come with the lids, or the sway bar retainers.

I just used the stock gearbox lids with the HR gearboxes and they work just fine. I did buy the HR sway bar covers/retainers, but only because they look cool. Could have gone stock here too.

I did put an extra bead of marine grease around the bottom of the gearbox. I don’t run when it’s wet so I should be okay I think.

In my case I only really went with the HR boxes to solve for the inconsistent gear mesh I was getting with the stock boxes, and it seems to have worked well.

It is a shame the HR boxes don’t come with the lids and sway bar retainers though.

One clarification - the weight is in fact very similar between the HR and stock gearboxes. I compared the weight without the lids and sway bar covers on both HR and stock boxes to ensure a fair comparison.

Last edited:
I like the look and quality of the HR stuff, I've been buying it like crack, but the Vitavon gearbox bulks look stout and the pinion support bearing is a huge upgrade. At the end of the day, they all cost about the same. I'd like to remove as much flex from my transmission as possible.

No issues with my open kit exb diffs and LSD
I like the look and quality of the HR stuff, I've been buying it like crack, but the Vitavon gearbox bulks look stout and the pinion support bearing is a huge upgrade. At the end of the day, they all cost about the same. I'd like to remove as much flex from my transmission as possible.
Saw a lot of complaints about vivaton

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back