TP 4070 for Limitless build - questions about options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I'm with @lib

I've actually never ever had a tp motor cog. It's funny because I was just mentioning to the wifey a few days ago how smooth TP motors felt, even at low speeds. Sometimes I forget I'm not on a sensored setup. A lot of them sound really smooth too. Tbh I haven't experience any of the rough and tumble you mentioned. I swear it's not just because I'm a tp fanboy. :ROFLMAO: :cry::ROFLMAO:I wouldn't be surprised if I have more TP powered rigs than 99% of the people on the forums. I'm at I think 12 rigs with TP motors + castle esc's. Would be 13 if I counted the wifey typhon but she didn't like the way her 4060 sounded so I just swapped it with the ezrun 4985 which sounds a lot quieter than the 1750kv TP.

@Benlee1012 If this is for something like a kraton I would suggest the TP 4070 1700kv, It is one of the best TP motors I have.

This is a short of my Kraton with the 1700kv doing a DOUBLE standing backflip. I was running it on 8s. Geared 21/50. I've since turned that Kraton into the stretched typhon and bought a 2250 4070 for it but I moved that 1700kv 4070 to the Talion XL I just built and it's amazing there too. I still can't believe how cool that motor runs. It's probably one of the coolest running TP motors I've tried so far.
poor diffs😫
View attachment 229497
View attachment 229500

Wifey was trying to take teaser pics for IG. Didn't want to let me post pics until we go outside in the sun. :ROFLMAO: Btw, would you happen to have some tips on stopping the rear end from sliding out so easily? Funny enough I stretched the wifey typhon too and somehow hers drives PERFECTLY. Seriously, she is in love with it and even I'm liking it a lot. I can't figure out why hers handles so much better than mine when it comes to drifting. Granted I know one of mine has felony diffs and tires so it will for sure be different, but it actually handles very similar to my other stretched typhon that is more similar to hers. Both of my typhons just swing the rear end out super easily and causes me to 360 all over the place. I started thinking maybe my motor was too strong or something as she is using a max6 combo but both mine have mmx8s and one is 4080 the other is 4070.

Is the pole problem only with the XLX2 and not the mmx8s? I assume so because I have a 1920 kv tp 5650 which is 6 pole and I've had zero problems with it even on 8s. Seems weird the XLX2 would have it and not the mmx8s though. Castle is weird :eek:
Love the builds😍

poor diffs😫
lol everyone says this but I've had zero problems. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what but the only time I've ever had a diff mess up is on my truggified typhon TLR with mojave tires. Center diff snapped a sun gear I think it's called? to the front wheels.

Get the castle link and check out the settings and pull data logs.
The logs tell you exactly what is going on, but what you are describing is the low voltage cut-off behavior.
Thanks brother will do but I have the low voltage cut off turn off wondering if my series battery jumper is to long would that play a part?

Thanks brother will do but I have the low voltage cut off turn off wondering if my series battery jumper is to long would that play a part?
I have seen some guys run some pretty long wire and not have issues assuming its quality wire, good solder connections, big 8mm bullets etc....

Hey guys,

Instead of starting another thread, I thought I'd ask the question here since there's a lot of knowledge about TP motors. I just got my TP4070 1700kv yesterday. It's the sealed version without all the extra holes in the front and end caps but the holes that the wires come out of are so big that dirt and debris can easily get in there!! The shape of the holes are also rectangular rather than the small circular ones I've seen in stock photos. Is this a new design? What's the difference between sealed and vented when the holes are so big? I can see the rotor and windings inside. Photo attached.
20220830_163038.jpg

Hey guys,

Instead of starting another thread, I thought I'd ask the question here since there's a lot of knowledge about TP motors. I just got my TP4070 1700kv yesterday. It's the sealed version without all the extra holes in the front and end caps but the holes that the wires come out of are so big that dirt and debris can easily get in there!! The shape of the holes are also rectangular rather than the small circular ones I've seen in stock photos. Is this a new design? What's the difference between sealed and vented when the holes are so big? I can see the rotor and windings inside. Photo attached.
View attachment 240272
Don't worry, be happy 😄

Ya go enjoy the motor! I have a few that look like that too. That 1700 is the GOAT. I almost want to order another one.

@Moirae I got the 1700Kv on your recommendation and I'm glad because on second thought the 2250 is too much. Might get a Limitless V2 later and swap the motor onto it with 8s! Thank you again.
I just don't want to break it on the first run when dirt gets inside it. So there's no need to seal the gaping big holes at the back?

@Moirae I got the 1700Kv on your recommendation and I'm glad because on second thought the 2250 is too much. Might get a Limitless V2 later and swap the motor onto it with 8s! Thank you again.
I just don't want to break it on the first run when dirt gets inside it. So there's no need to seal the gaping big holes at the back?
Nah, that is considered sealed tbh. The vented ones have holes going all around haha.

Looking at a TP 4070 for a Limitless build that I will be pairing with a MAX5. Did a little bit of research but thought I’d ask about opinions for the available options:

1) 5mm vs 8mm shaft - any reason to go for one vs another?

2) Vented vs sealed end caps? I assume vented is fine for a Limitless being run on asphalt

3) 2080 vs 2250 - any preferred KV for 6s?

Thanks!
I used same thing 5 mm shaft ran great never got hot

Ya go enjoy the motor! I have a few that look like that too. That 1700 is the GOAT. I almost want to order another one.
Your answer is pure relief for my mind. I'm creating custom Savage XL with almost 90% self made parts and it promises to be quite massive. So, using TPPower 4070 looks like proper decision. Just received one and had the same embarrassment as Benlee1012 when saw 3 wide holes in the back. Looking through numerous photos of TPPower not to mention several articles about sealed/vented motors turned me to conclusion that "sealed" doesn't mean waterproof. It rather means that bearings have some protection from water and some debris. Am I right?

Your answer is pure relief for my mind. I'm creating custom Savage XL with almost 90% self made parts and it promises to be quite massive. So, using TPPower 4070 looks like proper decision. Just received one and had the same embarrassment as Benlee1012 when saw 3 wide holes in the back. Looking through numerous photos of TPPower not to mention several articles about sealed/vented motors turned me to conclusion that "sealed" doesn't mean waterproof. It rather means that bearings have some protection from water and some debris. Am I right?
It's my understanding that the open cans (better ventilation) are intended for marine use together with a water cooled jacket and the sealed cans (better protection against ingress of dirt and dust) are intended for surface vehicles. At the bottom you can see the difference between the open and sealed cans. The primary difference is at the rear where the wires come out. You are correct though. Sealed does not mean waterproof. You can run these motor underwater. You just need to make sure to perform some maintenance as soon as you get home. Otherwise you'll just have a motor seized with rust before too long.
1675692585215.png

It's my understanding that the open cans (better ventilation) are intended for marine use together with a water cooled jacket and the sealed cans (better protection against ingress of dirt and dust) are intended for surface vehicles. At the bottom you can see the difference between the open and sealed cans. The primary difference is at the rear where the wires come out. You are correct though. Sealed does not mean waterproof. You can run these motor underwater. You just need to make sure to perform some maintenance as soon as you get home. Otherwise you'll just have a motor seized with rust before too long.
View attachment 276096

I have noticed on a recent CM motor purchase they have changed the end caps and seem to have these extra large rectangle-shaped openings now versus how they used to do the rounded.

1675695448062.png

View attachment 276096
Yes. I saw this picture. The difference in between holes is undisputable. Unfortunately the views of back sides look hazy to make out is there any plugs around wires in them. But with your explanation there is more light. Thank you.

Yes. I saw this picture. The difference in between holes is undisputable. Unfortunately the views of back sides look hazy to make out is there any plugs around wires in them. But with your explanation there is more light. Thank you.
Here ya go. Here's a better view of an open end cap. As you can see, there is no plug of any kind around the wires. The windings are brought together and then sheathed with mantle beginning just inside where the wires exit the can.
1675700000812.jpeg

Example of sealed cans round (older) vs rectangle (what they are doing now).

View attachment 276111
Yes. Right side one I've got today. Previous revision looks much more reliable. Have some thoughts for 3-d print (using TPU filament, it feels like rubber) rectangular caps for every opening with circle hole in the center slightly smaller than diameter of wire. It won't prevent water penetration but must protect winding from solid particles damage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back