TP 4070 for Limitless build - questions about options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a limitless Xlx2 TP 4070 now every time I go to punch it it’s like the power gets shut off if I get on it smooth there is no problem she goes can’t figure it out the voltage cutoff is turned off if anyone knows please need help
Get the castle link and check out the settings and pull data logs.
The logs tell you exactly what is going on, but what you are describing is the low voltage cut-off behavior.

Get the castle link and check out the settings and pull data logs.
The logs tell you exactly what is going on, but what you are describing is the low voltage cut-off behavior.
I'm a little confused reading all the info about the 4070. The 2250kv is rated for 22.7v, so wouldn't 6s would push it past the limit? It'll also push it past the 50k rpm limit for this model. I see conflicting info from different sellers saying either a 5s or 6s limit for this kV. Is it safe using 6s for the 2250kv? I like this kV because 6s would be the largest battery I can run so there's no point getting the 1520kv which can run 8s right? I prefer a Y wind over a D wind also.
Also, what's difference in construction between V1 and V2 that makes a weight difference of over 100g? 505g vs 635g. That's a major difference! V1 says 40x107mm. V2 says 39.6x107.6mm, virtually the same size. V2 seems to only offer M3 mounting but both M3 and M4 available for the V1.
I'm trying to decide on a motor, so if someone can answer my questions, that'll be awesome. Thank you.

I'm a little confused reading all the info about the 4070. The 2250kv is rated for 22.7v, so wouldn't 6s would push it past the limit? It'll also push it past the 50k rpm limit for this model. I see conflicting info from different sellers saying either a 5s or 6s limit for this kV. Is it safe using 6s for the 2250kv? I like this kV because 6s would be the largest battery I can run so there's no point getting the 1520kv which can run 8s right? I prefer a Y wind over a D wind also.
Also, what's difference in construction between V1 and V2 that makes a weight difference of over 100g? 505g vs 635g. That's a major difference! V1 says 40x107mm. V2 says 39.6x107.6mm, virtually the same size. V2 seems to only offer M3 mounting but both M3 and M4 available for the V1.
I'm trying to decide on a motor, so if someone can answer my questions, that'll be awesome. Thank you.
I have the 4070 2250kv in my stretched typhon with an mmx8s and it's awesome. It runs 6s just fine and you have nothing to worry about. When it comes to rpm I think you have to keep in mind the fact that load and no load are 2 different things. IE It's easier to hit that 50k rpm limit when the car is on the stand off the ground. I'm sure I didn't explain it very clearly so maybe someone else who is better with words will chime in. :ROFLMAO:

Also, I've even run 8s on motors they claim are 6s only. For example, the 4070 1700kv is rated for 6s but it handles 8s just fine.

Adding to what @Moirae
said you could also get the 4070 cm which has the higher rpm rotor inside.

Thanks for the quick replies @Moirae and @LibertyMKiii . I figured that the voltage drop at full throttle, top speed with high quality batteries might only be 0.2-0.3V per cell, which still puts it over the voltage/rpm limit, especially if it's not geared high for top speed but I suppose there's a safety margin built in, like with any rating. I just wanted to build a crazy, back flipping basher, so I'd only gear it for 60-70mph tops. I looked at the CM version but they're all Delta winds. Also looked at the SVM version Y winds but I'd have to use 8-10s to take fill advantage of them.

I guess I was hesitant due to my past experience 10yrs ago with a Tekin RX8 and T8 2250 truggy motor in an AE RC8.2E buggy. The rating was from memory 2200kv max on 6s so I thought 3% over on kV would be fine. The ESC lasted about 5 mins before it stopped. Tried turning it on again and it caught fire. Nearly burnt my whole buggy!! Just getting back into this awesome hobby and being cautious.
MMX8s should be enough for the TP4070 2250kv right?

Thanks for the quick replies @Moirae and @LibertyMKiii . I figured that the voltage drop at full throttle, top speed with high quality batteries might only be 0.2-0.3V per cell, which still puts it over the voltage/rpm limit, especially if it's not geared high for top speed but I suppose there's a safety margin built in, like with any rating. I just wanted to build a crazy, back flipping basher, so I'd only gear it for 60-70mph tops. I looked at the CM version but they're all Delta winds. Also looked at the SVM version Y winds but I'd have to use 8-10s to take fill advantage of them.

I guess I was hesitant due to my past experience 10yrs ago with a Tekin RX8 and T8 2250 truggy motor in an AE RC8.2E buggy. The rating was from memory 2200kv max on 6s so I thought 3% over on kV would be fine. The ESC lasted about 5 mins before it stopped. Tried turning it on again and it caught fire. Nearly burnt my whole buggy!! Just getting back into this awesome hobby and being cautious.
You're good bro. My typhon with the MMX8S 4070 2250 kv is geared 23/46 iirc it's about 80 mph and I bash with that setup. Even have the timing still at stock 10 and temps have been great tbh. My stretched typhon is running cooler than my girls and she has a max6 combo. I didn't even expect that 😂

I actually haven't even had it built a week else I would link you some videos so you can see. 😎 👍
Now that I think about it. I also have a felony with a tp 5650 1920kv iirc and it's also rated for 6s and I bash with 8s on it all the time 🤣.

If this is a heavy-duty basher with large heavy tires then we are talking about a different application altogether. In that scenario, I would stick with 1600-1700kv for 6s use. A 2200kv will run too hot for a heavy basher.
This is why everyone likes the Max6 combo (1650 kv motor) for their bashers. I wouldn't run a mmx8s in a basher unless I had the ESC already. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again guys. I say "bashing" but I'm quite careful with my toys so it's gonna be nowhere near what Kevin Talbot does to his rigs!!! I picked up a Castle 1520 for cheap so I may try that and then switch to TP4070 to see what the hype is all about. Maybe not much if I'm not speed running but I like the idea of crazy stupid power 10Hp in a 5Kg 1/8th RC

Thanks again guys. I say "bashing" but I'm quite careful with my toys so it's gonna be nowhere near what Kevin Talbot does to his rigs!!! I picked up a Castle 1520 for cheap so I may try that and then switch to TP4070 to see what the hype is all about. Maybe not much if I'm not speed running but I like the idea of crazy stupid power 10Hp in a 5Kg 1/8th RC
I used to have the 1520 and it's a good motor. It's easily good for 10hp, even on 6S (depending on gearing), if that's a meaningful metric. It comes with the added bonus of being sensored which makes for a lot smoother operation, particularly starting from a standstill. Don't get it twisted, I'm not trying to talk you out of a TP, they're great motors with a lot of raw power. I have the 4080CM 2022KV and it's an absolute brute (I hit 15hp+ @629A on 6S with it; should be good for 20-22hp on 8S). But, by comparison, they're a lot more "rough and tumble" (i.e. cogging, suddenly going into reverse instead of braking at low RPMs, things of that nature).

Last edited:
Yea I'm with @lib
I used to have the 1520 and it's a good motor. It's easily good for 10hp, even on 6S (depending on gearing), if that's a meaningful metric. It comes with the added bonus of being sensored which makes for a lot smoother operation, particularly starting from a standstill. Don't get it twisted, I'm not trying to talk you out of a TP, they're great motors with a lot of raw power. I have the 4080CM 2022KV and it's an absolute brute (I hit 16hp @629A on 6S with it; should be good for 22-24hp on 8S). But, by comparison, they're a lot more "rough and tumble" (i.e. cogging, suddenly going into reverse instead of braking at low RPMs, things of that nature).
I've actually never ever had a tp motor cog. It's funny because I was just mentioning to the wifey a few days ago how smooth TP motors felt, even at low speeds. Sometimes I forget I'm not on a sensored setup. A lot of them sound really smooth too. Tbh I haven't experience any of the rough and tumble you mentioned. I swear it's not just because I'm a tp fanboy. :ROFLMAO: :cry::ROFLMAO:I wouldn't be surprised if I have more TP powered rigs than 99% of the people on the forums. I'm at I think 12 rigs with TP motors + castle esc's. Would be 13 if I counted the wifey typhon but she didn't like the way her 4060 sounded so I just swapped it with the ezrun 4985 which sounds a lot quieter than the 1750kv TP.

@Benlee1012 If this is for something like a kraton I would suggest the TP 4070 1700kv, It is one of the best TP motors I have.

This is a short of my Kraton with the 1700kv doing a DOUBLE standing backflip. I was running it on 8s. Geared 21/50. I've since turned that Kraton into the stretched typhon and bought a 2250 4070 for it but I moved that 1700kv 4070 to the Talion XL I just built and it's amazing there too. I still can't believe how cool that motor runs. It's probably one of the coolest running TP motors I've tried so far.

Yea I'm with @lib

I've actually never ever had a tp motor cog. It's funny because I was just mentioning to the wifey a few days ago how smooth TP motors felt, even at low speeds. Sometimes I forget I'm not on a sensored setup. A lot of them sound really smooth too. Tbh I haven't experience any of the rough and tumble you mentioned. I swear it's not just because I'm a tp fanboy. :ROFLMAO: :cry::ROFLMAO:I wouldn't be surprised if I have more TP powered rigs than 99% of the people on the forums. I'm at I think 12 rigs with TP motors + castle esc's. Would be 13 if I counted the wifey typhon but she didn't like the way her 4060 sounded so I just swapped it with the ezrun 4985 which sounds a lot quieter than the 1750kv TP.

@Benlee1012 If this is for something like a kraton I would suggest the TP 4070 1700kv, It is one of the best TP motors I have.

This is a short of my Kraton with the 1700kv doing a DOUBLE standing backflip. I was running it on 8s. Geared 21/50. I've since turned that Kraton into the stretched typhon and bought a 2250 4070 for it but I moved that 1700kv 4070 to the Talion XL I just built and it's amazing there too. I still can't believe how cool that motor runs. It's probably one of the coolest running TP motors I've tried so far.
YOU GOSH DARN TP FANBOI!! :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Nah man, I hear ya. I'm sure that it would be smooth at lower gearings. Truth be told, I'm usually running at 1:1 gearing or lower. On my last speed run I was running a 0.714 to 1 gearing :LOL:

YOU GOSH DARN TP FANBOI!! :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Nah man, I hear ya. I'm sure that it would be smooth at lower gearings. Truth be told, I'm usually running at 1:1 gearing or lower. On my last speed run I was running a 0.714 to 1 gearing :LOL:
Ahh I haven't started to really speed run yet even though I have all these TP motors LOL. I swear I'm going to get my feet wet soon though. I want to break 100 mph, my pb right now is 94 and I basically did that on my first semi serious attempt. Ended with a crash into a curb though and I haven't tried since. I found a decent road to use now though so I just gotta get out there and try. :ROFLMAO:

I think the most I've ever had a tp motor geared for was maybe 100 - 110 mph on 6s and I never actually went that fast.

Ahh I haven't started to really speed run yet even though I have all these TP motors LOL. I swear I'm going to get my feet wet soon though. I want to break 100 mph, my pb right now is 94 and I basically did that on my first semi serious attempt. Ended with a crash into a curb though and I haven't tried since. I found a decent road to use now though so I just gotta get out there and try. :ROFLMAO:

I think the most I've ever had a tp motor geared for was maybe 100 - 110 mph on 6s and I never actually went that fast.
Sounds like you've already gotten your feet wet, all you're missing is that one clean pass at 100mph+ and you'll be hooked too, lol. I'm still a novice in the field of speed running. My PB so far is 127mph with a CC 1717 on 6S with 34/29 gearing. I'm hoping to match or surpass that speed on 3S in the coming days if all goes well, God willing.

Sounds like you've already gotten your feet wet, all you're missing is that one clean pass at 100mph+ and you'll be hooked too, lol. I'm still a novice in the field of speed running. My PB so far is 127mph with a CC 1717 on 6S with 34/29 gearing. I'm hoping to match or surpass that speed on 3S in the coming days if all goes well, God willing.
I have a tp 4040 3770kv that I bought for a typhon 3s to run on 4s. I don't know how you guys do it because that thing has blown a 150a spektrum and a castle mm2 both on 4s. I'm scared to gear for anything above 70 mph at this point and I'm lowkey scared of that too. Sent esc to castle and they sent me a 100$ bill. I had it geared for 85 mph and let the wifey drive it around for 5 mins and rip mm2. Motor wasn't even past 100f. :ROFLMAO:

I have a tp 4040 3770kv that I bought for a typhon 3s to run on 4s. I don't know how you guys do it because that thing has blown a 150a spektrum and a castle mm2 both on 4s. I'm scared to gear for anything above 70 mph at this point and I'm lowkey scared of that too. Sent esc to castle and they sent me a 100$ bill. I had it geared for 85 mph and let the wifey drive it around for 5 mins and rip mm2. Motor wasn't even past 100f. :ROFLMAO:
Damn, that sucks man. All I can say is...XLX2. I've peaked it at 629A with the 4080. That thing is just the business. The MMX8S is good too, but it has high ripple and really needs a cap pack for speed running. Once you factor the cap pack into the price, you could have just bought an XLX2 which gives you 200A more for the same price with reasonable ripple, even without a cap pack (I run one anyways because I have it but, strictly speaking, it's not necessary). If you have the real estate, it's highly recommendable if you want to get serious about going fast. But I've seen a 1/12 scale car where someone has somehow found the space for an XLX2 so, it's not as impossible as it may seem. I wanna say it was Slow RC Mike (lol, gotta love the name).

Damn, that sucks man. All I can say is...XLX2. I've peaked it at 629A with the 4080. That thing is just the business. The MMX8S is good too, but it has high ripple and really needs a cap pack for speed running. Once you factor the cap pack into the price, you could have just bought an XLX2 which gives you 200A more for the same price with reasonable ripple, even without a cap pack (I run one anyways because I have it but, strictly speaking, it's not necessary). If you have the real estate, it's highly recommendable if you want to get serious about going fast. But I've seen a 1/12 scale car where someone has somehow found the space for an XLX2 so, it's not as impossible as it may seem. I wanna say it was Slow RC Mike (lol, gotta love the name).
Man I don't know how even a mmx8s could fit in a typhon 3s haha. I really regret getting that motor, I should have got a 3000kv or something. I have a 4050 2100kv waiting for the kraton 4s =D

Man I don't know how even a mmx8s could fit in a typhon 3s haha. I really regret getting that motor, I should have got a 3000kv or something. I have a 4050 2100kv waiting for the kraton 4s =D
You can gain massive amounts of real estate with CF side fills and going full GT width with a GT body. It's not terribly expensive and you can make them yourself with a Dremel or jigsaw without much hassle (just don't forget to protect your lungs while doing it).

Yea I'm with @lib

Ok, so this past weekend we didn't get out to the race track as planned due to inclement weather so, hopefully the coming weekend will yield better results. So I spent the day converting my speed runner to a track racer. Went back to 2° toe in on the rear, dropped the original center diff back in and put GRPs on all four corners. Power is now being supplied by the TP 4080 2022KV, mated to a conservative 20/46T gearing. Aside from the lights, side view mirrors and some zoomies, I'm almost done with the body. I just took her out for a quick shakedown run on 3S and, as you had said, no cogging or "rough and tumble" behavior whatsoever. It was lovely. Top speed was tepid, probably somewhere around 35mph (I did forget to turn the punch back up from the 25% it's currently at so it wasn't as aggressive as it could have been) and she behaved beautifully. I love the way the car looks too.
1657594333942.jpeg

Ok, so this past weekend we didn't get out to the race track as planned due to inclement weather so, hopefully the coming weekend will yield better results. So I spent the day converting my speed runner to a track racer. Went back to 2° toe in on the rear, dropped the original center diff back in and put GRPs on all four corners. Power is now being supplied by the TP 4080 2022KV, mated to a conservative 20/46T gearing. Aside from the lights, side view mirrors and some zoomies, I'm almost done with the body. I just took her out for a quick shakedown run on 3S and, as you had said, no cogging or "rough and tumble" behavior whatsoever. It was lovely. Top speed was tepid, probably somewhere around 35mph (I did forget to turn the punch back up from the 25% it's currently at so it wasn't as aggressive as it could have been) and she behaved beautifully. I love the way the car looks too.
View attachment 229232
That looks nice! is it black or green? funny enough I just built another stretched typhon with felony diffs and tires. I just put in the 4080 2022kv and painted a new black body. Took me so long to finish building it I'm only getting to test it at like 10:30 pm :ROFLMAO:

This is either going to go really well or really bad. :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back