TP 5660 on a Max 6?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
Was wondering if anyone had run a big TP 6-pole motor with a Max 6 ESC? I have an 1170kv motor I’d like to run off my Max 6 but was wondering if a 6-pole motor would play well with it. 4-6S only.
ESC will also have one of Phil’s 8S cap-packs installed and a stand alone UBEC to power receiver and servo to reduce amp load on the ESC.

You absolutely can run a HW esc, just will hit the amperage limiter depending on how you gear it.
How much do you think an 8S Ripple Killer and a UBEC would help that? Not shooting for the moon, but 120 would be nice.

How much do you think an 8S Ripple Killer and a UBEC would help that? Not shooting for the moon, but 120 would be nice.
Close to no help.
The issue is the amperage load needed to drive the motor at those speeds.

The only way to pull that off with a HW esc is an extremely long run with an extremely slow and steady throttle pull. Many challenges ahead of you if you want to run 120mph with that ESC.

Also take note that 120mph is like the best possible on 8S. In the end it's all about them watts:
8S * 160A = max 5.4kW
6S * 160A = max 4kW
4S * 160A = max 2688W

Ubec will give you up to 180W more headroom wich is included in the above, so nearly neglectable

ps. I am currently running a TP 5840L (basicly a 5660) on a max5 on my 'offroad speedrunner' It's awesome but i don't expect it to go beyond 90mph

I did my first 100 with a max 5 and a hobbywing 5687 in a very short run (Basically full throttle from the start), I ended up getting an xlx2 before I went any faster though. I think a couple people told me 110 plus would start to be a bit more difficult with the cutoffs. Gatta think a max 6 would be crying with that motor at those speeds.

Also take note that 120mph is like the best possible on 8S. In the end it's all about them watts:
8S * 160A = max 5.4kW
6S * 160A = max 4kW
4S * 160A = max 2688W

Ubec will give you up to 180W more headroom wich is included in the above, so nearly neglectable

ps. I am currently running a TP 5840L (basicly a 5660) on a max5 on my 'offroad speedrunner' It's awesome but i don't expect it to go beyond 90mph

The TP 5660 1170kv says 5500w continuous with 10,000w max., I guess I’m missing something again? Max amps of 208. Max 6 is 160/1050 max. How do these numbers get processed?

A motor just wants to spin up to it's max rpm (voltage * KV * throttle input), without any load it will not cost much effort to do so. (50-300W)
Depending on the load it will cost more effort to do so. Turning the drivetrain&wheels, friction, splicing air, ect and the effort will increase exponentially the faster you go.
While the motor itself might still capable of putting down more effort, at the above wattage consumption the esc will say... enough is enough and will go into failsafe.

Max6 will do 160A continues, the 1050A are only for real short bursts (like <0.1s)

The TP 5660 1170kv says 5500w continuous with 10,000w max., I guess I’m missing something again? Max amps of 208. Max 6 is 160/1050 max. How do these numbers get processed?
You'd have to dig into the algorithm Hobbywing uses on the ESC's control board to understand that. That's likely all proprietary to Hobbywing. There is some built in threshold in the circuitry that when the max amps is exceeded for more than X seconds (some small amount of time as @rotauq suggested), the ESC throttles voltage input to the motor to lower power. The "continuous amperage" (160a) amount of time is probably just larger than the "max burst amperage" (1050a) amount of time.

If you look at some of the castle logs that people post, the current/power spikes can be enormous, even if just for a second or two. Like has been said before, it's most likely that hobbywing just has a more conservative limit for the amount of at continuous or burst amperage (ie, more sensitive).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back