Limitless TP Motor for speed runs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GP5 should drop in, I'm pretty sure you have to match input gears too though. If you buy the whole bulkhead /diff from jennys you will be good to go for sure.

This is for a typhon right? I know a 92mm long motor will fit
Yep, typhon on a kraton chassis. Looks like a 92mm would fit w/ about 5mm to spare. Seems like 97mm would be too long. What model would I be looking at?

20220801_212755.jpg

20220801_212830.jpg

20220801_213132.jpg

Yep, typhon on a kraton chassis. Looks like a 92mm would fit w/ about 5mm to spare. Seems like 97mm would be too long. What model would I be looking at?

View attachment 233510

View attachment 233511

View attachment 233512
TP 4060. It's 92mm. I'd go with a 4060CM. They turn much higher RPMs and the rotors are metal encased as opposed to the typical fiber wrap which makes them much less prone to "letting go". Here's an overview of the available windings. They're all 4-pole, so no need to worry about KV limitations.
1659408256872.png

wait wait wait! I didn't realize it was a stretched typhon, you can fit damn near anything you want in a stretched typhon. A 4070 will easily fit, I have a 4080cm 2022kv in one of my stretched typhon and a 4070 2250kv in the other. The wifey got a stretched typhon with max 6 combo.

wait wait wait! I didn't realize it was a stretched typhon, you can fit damn near anything you want in a stretched typhon. A 4070 will easily fit, I have a 4080cm 2022kv in one of my stretched typhon and a 4070 2250kv in the other. The wifey got a stretched typhon with max 6 combo.
Yes, but I think I'm gonna have to flip the motor mount to fit the xlx2 in there, so there will be a hard 97mm length limit. I posted pics above of the space confines
TP 4060. It's 92mm. I'd go with a 4060CM. They turn much higher RPMs and the rotors are metal encased as opposed to the typical fiber wrap which makes them much less prone to "letting go". Here's an overview of the available windings. They're all 4-pole, so no need to worry about KV limitations.
View attachment 233513
The 2080kv be my best option then? I have no plans to run 12s, probably not even 8s but who knows

Yes, but I think I'm gonna have to flip the motor mount to fit the xlx2 in there, so there will be a hard 97mm length limit. I posted pics above of the space confines
ohhh I see. Damn that sucks, have you actually tried to fit the xlx2 yet? Maybe there is a way to make it fit.

ohhh I see. Damn that sucks, have you actually tried to fit the xlx2 yet? Maybe there is a way to make it fit.
I've done a lot of staring, measuring, moving, staring some more. I suppose I could just start drilling holes since this chassis isn't any good for speedrunning. I could try to hammer it flat & use it for a basher tho😁

The 2080kv be my best option then? I have no plans to run 12s, probably not even 8s but who knows
FWIW, 8S is a brutal amount of power. If you're not planning on running 8S anytime soon, I'd go with with the 2610KV. But that's just me. Look at it this way...for speed running you could even run the 2610 on 8S (assuming your gearing and wind resistance forces enough voltage sag...which it almost invariably will). Typical voltages on 8S speed runners is 27-28V under load. That would put you in the 70-73K RPM range. So you'd even still have some breathing room. The cell stats on TP motors are always given without accounting for load. Just don't run the motor up to full RPM on 8S without it being on the road and you should be fine :)

FWIW, 8S is a brutal amount of power. If you're not planning on running 8S anytime soon, I'd go with with the 2610KV. But that's just me. Look at it this way...for speed running you could even run the 2610 on 8S (assuming your gearing and wind resistance forces enough voltage sag...which it almost invariably will). Typical voltages on 8S speed runners is 27-28V under load. That would put you in the 70-73K RPM range. So you'd even still have some breathing room. The cell stats on TP motors are always given without accounting for load. Just don't run the motor up to full RPM on 8S without it being on the road and you should be fine :)
Awesome info!! I think you've sold me on the 2610kv 4060cm- just put one in my shopping cart. Now a question about the Gp5 diffs. If I were to just buy the whole bulkhead assembly from Jenny's, could I just bolt them right in without doing anything else to the center diff? & what's the difference between these two other than the model #specific? Thanks for taking the time to help a noob out!!

Screenshot_20220801-224235_Samsung Internet.jpg

Awesome info!! I think you've sold me on the 2610kv 4060cm- just put one in my shopping cart. Now a question about the Gp5 diffs. 1. If I were to just buy the whole bulkhead assembly from Jenny's, could I just bolt them right in without doing anything else to the center diff? & 2. what's the difference between these two other than the model #specific? Thanks for taking the time to help a noob out!!

View attachment 233515
1. Yes, should fit like a glove. If I'm wrong on that, someone please correct me.
2. Now that's an interesting question that I have no explanation for. From a quick Google-Fu I can't discern any difference. I would go with the cheaper of the two but, just to be sure, maybe shoot them an email and ask. Maybe there's something that we're both not seeing here. Perhaps someone in this thread has some insight into why they're priced differently because I can't make sense of it.

Anytime brother, we're here to help one another out :)

Those 2 diffs are the same, jennys always has different prices for the same thing from different rigs. I also have that tp 4060cm 2610kv in my typhon gt. I love the way it sounds but for the way I like to bash I had to toss on the 12v fans on 3s batt to keep it nice and cool. You can hear how it sounds toward the end of the clip

I swear I have a youtube video for every occasion. :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Those 2 diffs are the same, jennys always has different prices for the same thing from different rigs. I also have that tp 4060cm 2610kv in my typhon gt. I love the way it sounds but for the way I like to bash I had to toss on the 12v fans on 3s batt to keep it nice and cool.

I swear I have a youtube video for every occasion. :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Thank you for the clarification 👍

I'll echo @vwturbowolf on a TP4070cm or TP4080cm. If you go with one of those 40mm motors, on 8s, something in the 2000-2300kv range would work well. Ultimately you are looking at watts handling of the motor.
TP4070-cm = 9,000 watts
TP4080-cm = 11,000 watts
TP5670 = 12,000 watts
TP5680 = 15,000 watts
TP5690 = 15,000+

The TP4080-CM is a sweet spot of handling high RPMs, less weight than a big motor, and pretty great power handling also, but it lacks some of the brute power the 1/5 scale motors provide.

If you want to run a larger 1/5 scale motor like the 5660, 5670, 5680, 5690 stick with something in the 1100-1400kv range. The XLX2 esc does not like higher KV values on the 6-pole 1/5 motors. I have heard good things about those 56 series motors and the y-wind options. That is something I would like to try once I work my way up to higher voltage. Currently having fun on 3s and soon to start 4s.

The TP5670 3y (1270kv) would be a safe option (y)
Gearing can be a pain on those big motors, the TP4080cm is one I want to try soon.
Hey man I’m ready to put a motor into my Skyline build, I was going with another 1717/1650 because it fits in the stock mount position and I don’t want to flip the mount because of cemetery so I’d rather go with a dual motor mount at that point.. I want to go TP this time because I want to see what all the hype is about. I can bash, drift and still do 100mph all at once with the 1717/1650 and MMX8 soo.. I’m expecting to STILL be able to do 100mph but with MORE power and only expect to see the heat come a little earlier and be a little hotter. I want to still be able to enjoy my car throughout the full charge and not have to stop every 3 minutes to let it cool down. As far as ESC I have the
Castle M6,M8 and XL2 but I want to know what my options are with the M6 and M8 ESC with a motor that fits in the stock mount location..🤷‍♂️ who here can point me in the right direction?

Hey man I’m ready to put a motor into my Skyline build, I was going with another 1717/1650 because it fits in the stock mount position and I don’t want to flip the mount because of cemetery so I’d rather go with a dual motor mount at that point.. I want to go TP this time because I want to see what all the hype is about. I can bash, drift and still do 100mph all at once with the 1717/1650 and MMX8 soo.. I’m expecting to STILL be able to do 100mph but with MORE power and only expect to see the heat come a little earlier and be a little hotter. I want to still be able to enjoy my car throughout the full charge and not have to stop every 3 minutes to let it cool down. As far as ESC I have the
Castle M6,M8 and XL2 but I want to know what my options are with the M6 and M8 ESC with a motor that fits in the stock mount location..🤷‍♂️ who here can point me in the right direction?

Personally I'd probably stick with the castle motor if stock location is super important to you. Unless you can print this

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5616923

That will allow you to fit a 92mm long motor in stock location. Con is you lose the bearings on that side. I'd do it and order a tp 5660 1460kv or something similar. Other option if you don't mind waiting is to get a custom tp created. You can get a tp 5840s or 5840L. Both of those can fit stock location but will take at least 3 weeks.

Those 2 diffs are the same, jennys always has different prices for the same thing from different rigs. I also have that tp 4060cm 2610kv in my typhon gt. I love the way it sounds but for the way I like to bash I had to toss on the 12v fans on 3s batt to keep it nice and cool. You can hear how it sounds toward the end of the clip

Personally I'd probably stick with the castle motor if stock location is super important to you. Unless you can print this

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5616923

That will allow you to fit a 92mm long motor in stock location. Con is you lose the bearings on that side. I'd do it and order a tp 5660 1460kv or something similar. Other option if you don't mind waiting is to get a custom tp created. You can get a tp 5840s or 5840L. Both of those can fit stock location but will take at least 3 weeks.
Thank you let me look into those options!… I don’tmind waiting if those motors can put perform the castle 1717.. thanks for pointing me in that direction, Is there anything else To can tell me about those last two motors?

Thank you let me look into those options!… I don’tmind waiting if those motors can put perform the castle 1717.. thanks for pointing me in that direction, Is there anything else To can tell me about those last two motors?
I actually have the tp 5840s 1462kv in my infraction and I like it a lot. I will say though that if I could go back in time I'd pay the extra 10$ and get the 5840L as it's slightly more powerful on paper though also apparently about 110 more grams. Make sure you lower your timing to 0 if you get a d wind tp motor. Oh and you will need a motor mount capable of mounting a big block like the PPS mount.

I actually have the tp 5840s 1462kv in my infraction and I like it a lot. I will say though that if I could go back in time I'd pay the extra 10$ and get the 5840L as it's slightly more powerful on paper though also apparently about 110 more grams. Make sure you lower your timing to 0 if you get a d wind tp motor. Oh and you will need a motor mount capable of mounting a big block like the PPS mount.
Okay I see.., all I see is boats when searching that motor so you’re the first guy person I see with an infraction and that motor. The mount is another bill so before considering a dual mount instead
“because now we’re at that point” I want to see some passes with that 5840L and what setups ppl are running bcs I want to compare it to the 1717/1650 if I’m going to commit to a mount as well bcs a dual 1515/1650 will outdo a single 5840L or.., at least that needs to be proven wrong you know lol 💪🏎️💨👀

Okay I see.., all I see is boats when searching that motor so you’re the first guy person I see with an infraction and that motor. The mount is another bill so before considering a dual mount instead
“because now we’re at that point” I want to see some passes with that 5840L and what setups ppl are running bcs I want to compare it to the 1717/1650 if I’m going to commit to a mount as well bcs a dual 1515/1650 will outdo a single 5840L or.., at least that needs to be proven wrong you know lol 💪🏎️💨👀
Probably don't see anyone with that motor because it needs to be custom made and it's basically the same thing as the TP 5660 which doesn't need to be custom made. Both motors have the same specs just the 40L is shorter. You will have much better luck searching for the tp 5660 if you want to find stuff. I have a tp 5660 in my limitless v2 but I haven't speed run it yet lol.

I have no experience with dual motor builds but I'm pretty sure a dual build of castle motors and esc's will cost a lot more than 1 tp motor even if you factor in pps mount cost. Also, if flipping the motor mount, you could even go for a much bigger TP motor and still come out cheaper.

Few videos I found.

Probably don't see anyone with that motor because it needs to be custom made and it's basically the same thing as the TP 5660 which doesn't need to be custom made. Both motors have the same specs just the 40L is shorter. You will have much better luck searching for the tp 5660 if you want to find stuff. I have a tp 5660 in my limitless v2 but I haven't speed run it yet lol.

I have no experience with dual motor builds but I'm pretty sure a dual build of castle motors and esc's will cost a lot more than 1 tp motor even if you factor in pps mount cost. Also, if flipping the motor mount, you could even go for a much bigger TP motor and still come out cheaper.

Few videos I found.
Oh yea, blue lightning… I fixed his body after it shattered on its maiden run. Strong community that’s what’s up. Let me check out those other vids.., thanks for helping me out I really appreciate the 3D file and your own hands on experience, 🙏 thanks.

Low KV big motors will be good for what you want to do.
More motor can surface area = more cooling.
So it’s true… as bizarre as that sounds,. So if you have two 1650kv motors but one is 1717 and the other 1515, does the bigger one (1717) run cooler because of only its size or… is it because the copper windings inside are of a heavier gauge copper which can carry more current which equals less resistance which in turn lowers the amperage (strain) which is the real culprit of heat.

If both motors are put under the same exact conditions with the same power source and the only difference between the two is that one has a larger can and armature, then they should both have the same exact specifications with the exception of its physical dimensions.

I could be wrong I’m just taking a wild guess because I don’t know anything about TP motors and there are so many options. I’m afraid to choose one, so I am on the fence about just going with another Castle motor. So I’m just really curious right now lol and I would be forever grateful if somebody could make a video explaining the differences between the “Y” wind and “D” wind and what are the differences of the numbers of winds that there are, and how that affects performance, and how pole counts affects performance in conjunction with can diameter and can length. we know that in most cases bigger is better, but when you have this many variables, there is actually a formula that will help us reach our specific goals to our specific builds. Somebody needs to make that one epic video. How many people would agree? Let’s see a show of hands lol 👋

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back