Limitless TP Motor for speed runs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm too stupid to get into all those details. All I know is 6 poles is apparently more torque than 2 or 4 poles and I have at least 20 TP motors and I love em all. I have 4 castle 1717 motors and I like my tp motors more. Especially a sensored TP motor because then you get the best of both worlds. I still like my castle motors but It is what it is. I think a TP 5660 is lot more motor than a castle 1717.

People say y winds run cooler than d winds but I doubt that's a 100% for sure type of thing. I have D wind TP motors like the 4070 1700kv that run pretty damn cool for how I drive. I think you're thinking waaay too hard about this, TP one of the best motor brands out there and you can't go wrong with a low kv fat can. The castle solution is the best drop in option though imo.

Last edited:
I'm too stupid to get into all those details. All I know is 6 poles is apparently more torque than 2 or 4 poles and I have at least 20 TP motors and I love em all. I have 4 castle 1717 motors and I like my tp motors more. Especially a sensored TP motor because then you get the best of both worlds. I still like my castle motors but It is what it is. I think a TP 5660 is lot more motor than a castle 1717.

People say y winds run cooler than d winds but I doubt that's a 100% for sure type of thing. I have D wind TP motors like the 4070 1700kv that run pretty damn cool for how I drive. I think you're thinking waaay too hard about this, TP one of the best motor brands out there and you can't go wrong with a low kv fat can. The castle solution is the best drop in option though.
💙🤘

So it’s true… as bizarre as that sounds,. So if you have two 1650kv motors but one is 1717 and the other 1515, does the bigger one (1717) run cooler because of only its size or… is it because the copper windings inside are of a heavier gauge copper which can carry more current which equals less resistance which in turn lowers the amperage (strain) which is the real culprit of heat.

Right, it is a mixture of things. The windings and related amperage/wattage that passes through the motor relates to heat.
As usual you can imagine 10% of the wattage is lost to efficiency. If your ESC sent 10kW you have 1kW lost in the imaginary world of magnetism and heat generation. I think not all 1000 watts are converted to heat or it would get much hotter than it does....

If both motors are put under the same exact conditions with the same power source and the only difference between the two is that one has a larger can and armature, then they should both have the same exact specifications with the exception of its physical dimensions.

Right then you would see the larger can will produce more torque and run cooler with the same power. Some people theorize the larger motor might request more power from the ESC, but @K-BASH has found the large 6-pole motors are very efficient due to that increased torque.

I could be wrong I’m just taking a wild guess because I don’t know anything about TP motors and there are so many options. I’m afraid to choose one, so I am on the fence about just going with another Castle motor. So I’m just really curious right now lol and I would be forever grateful if somebody could make a video explaining the differences between the “Y” wind and “D” wind and what are the differences of the numbers of winds that there are, and how that affects performance, and how pole counts affects performance in conjunction with can diameter and can length. we know that in most cases bigger is better, but when you have this many variables, there is actually a formula that will help us reach our specific goals to our specific builds. Somebody needs to make that one epic video. How many people would agree? Let’s see a show of hands lol

You can find some YT videos on winding outrunner motors. Basically, it is the method of winding the motors and the terminations of those wires.
RC explained YT Channel has some videos that go through some of the calculations. I can tell you that I spoke with a guy who re-winds motors for the RC boat racing side of the hobby. He said the whole Wye vs Delta thing is just bogus. In the end, they all perform about the same.
Now with that said Castle engineers their stuff around castle motors all of their motors are Wye wind. It is possible Wye motors might run better with Castle and does allow you to utilize timing tuning. Delta motors are pretty much stuck with zero degrees timing or "normal" on the esc settings. The most important thing is picking the KV that runs cool for the speeds and voltage you plan to run. I have only run Delta TP motors because they always have the KV I want.... No regrets so far

Lots of great options.
We can help with more info.
What chassis are you using?
What is your speed goal?
What is the voltage you want to run ?

I have a range of tp motors from 4050cm to 5870 and everything in between. They are incredibly powerful motors
Have two vendettas, two limitless,
Mini typhon and a offroad talion speed runner
I saw that you’re pretty knowledgeable on motors I have a limitless v2 roller that I’m trying to build and looking at various options on motor and esc combos for it on 8s. In your opinion what would give me that torque and speed. I have an infraction on 6s and I want to go faster than that. If you see my message I’d appreciate your input

I saw that you’re pretty knowledgeable on motors I have a limitless v2 roller that I’m trying to build and looking at various options on motor and esc combos for it on 8s. In your opinion what would give me that torque and speed. I have an infraction on 6s and I want to go faster than that. If you see my message I’d appreciate your input
An XLX2 and a 4070cm 2200kv. You can't go wrong with that combo in a v2 limitless

An XLX2 and a 4070cm 2200kv. You can't go wrong with that combo in a v2 limitless
The 4070cm 2200 is one of my favorite motors. In fact I have three of them.
My original one has hundreds of runs on it and has been 175mph,
It’s a great motor to run.
Starting out with a v2 car and if you’re newer to speed runs I would recommended starting very conservative on the gearing, I know there are some limitations to the v2 motor mount. You might have to install a larger spur gear

What about shaft size does that matter at all. 5mm or 8mm
Stay with 8mm shaft.
The 5mm is a 8mm rotor turned down to 5mm.
I snapped the 5mm rotor a few years back with my first one so I had to replace the rotor

The 4070cm 2200 is one of my favorite motors. In fact I have three of them.
My original one has hundreds of runs on it and has been 175mph,
It’s a great motor to run.
Starting out with a v2 car and if you’re newer to speed runs I would recommended starting very conservative on the gearing, I know there are some limitations to the v2 motor mount. You might have to install a larger spur gear
How bout something like this
33929650-FA9B-4DEC-A6DF-CCC435DB6084.png

What about shaft size does that matter at all. 5mm or 8mm
I'm no expert but I ALWAYS do 8mm if possible. The grub screws for the pinions are larger and hold much better than the smaller grubs you get with 5mm pinions. I heard the shafts are all 8mm until you get outside the can where some companies shave them down to 5mm. But the pinions made for 8mm shafts are far superior to 5mm.

How bout something like this View attachment 291394
I’ve been running one of those as well. Currently it’s in my WR body vendetta.
I originally installed it last season in my vte2 and did 175mph first hit with it.
I have great success with both. If you want to save 50$ just do the cm version.

What’s the difference between CM, SVM and SCM??
CM motors have stainless steel sleeved rotors instead of being Kevlar® wrapped which affords them a significantly higher max RPM ceiling. SCM motors are 2-pole motors and have an even higher RPM ceiling but they're not as torquey as the 4-pole motors. This leads me to suspect that SCM motors would be better suited to light weight, thoroughbred race cars but that's just conjecture on my part. The SVM motors are, essentially, new and improved CM motors with higher max power and RPM values by using better materials. Stick to the normal, CM or SVM motors for your application and you'll be right as rain.

CM motors have stainless steel sleeved rotors instead of being Kevlar® wrapped which affords them a significantly higher max RPM ceiling. SCM motors are 2-pole motors and have an even higher RPM ceiling but they're not as torquey as the 4-pole motors. This leads me to suspect that SCM motors would be better suited to light weight, thoroughbred race cars but that's just conjecture on my part. The SVM motors are, essentially, new and improved CM motors with higher max power and RPM values by using better materials. Stick to the normal, CM or SVM motors for your application and you'll be right as
CM motors have stainless steel sleeved rotors instead of being Kevlar® wrapped which affords them a significantly higher max RPM ceiling. SCM motors are 2-pole motors and have an even higher RPM ceiling but they're not as torquey as the 4-pole motors. This leads me to suspect that SCM motors would be better suited to light weight, thoroughbred race cars but that's just conjecture on my part. The SVM motors are, essentially, new and improved CM motors with higher max power and RPM values by using better materials. Stick to the normal, CM or SVM motors for your application and you'll be right as rain.
Nice thanks I appreciate your input. I’ll do some more research before I decide.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back