Infraction TP motor overheat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVC

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
I recently purchased an Infraction with a TP 4070 2200kv motor and a Mamba Monster 2 ESC. Gearing is MOD 1 24T pinion 46T spur and I ran 1 pack through it today and the motor was so hot I could not touch it and it stunk, and the motor wires were pretty damn hot too. The ESC was not hot, barley warm. When I bought it I had to re-solder everything I used 8mm bullets. I am running 6500Mah 60c 6s batteries with an EC5 connector and killmode cap pack. I do not have a heat sink or fan setup on the motor yet but it was like 50deg out today and my motor got so hot it may have gotten fried. Can anyone give me any insight or advise on if my greaing is ok and what else could be causing the motor to overheat? Thank you.

Last edited:
It is so hard to know for sure if any damage was done. 120-160 range feels burning hit but is completely safe for the motor.
Once it goes up around 180+ damage occurs.
I highly recommend getting an IR temp gun!

As for gearing most have found 18t pinion is best for full pack use on the infraction.

If it was used, I would assume they were pushing it to the limit with a setup like that...

Thanks for the reply, I have an IR I just forgot to take it with me. When I got home I measured the temp and it was 138-145 depending on where I shot the motor. The was after approx 10 min time. So you are right it's hard to tell. I think my mesh was too tight too.
If it was used, I would assume they were pushing it to the limit with a setup like that...
The motor was brand new thankfully!
What is stock gearing on the Infraction?

I recently purchased an Infraction with a TP 4070 2200kv motor and a Mamba Monster 2 ESC. Gearing is MOD 1 24T pinion 46T spur and I ran 1 pack through it today and the motor was so hot I could not touch it and it stunk, and the motor wires were pretty damn hot too. The ESC was not hot, barley warm. When I bought it I had to re-solder everything I used 8mm bullets. I am running 6500Mah 60c 6s batteries with an EC5 connector and killmode cap pack. I do not have a heat sink or fan setup on the motor yet but it was like 50deg out today and my motor got so hot it may have gotten fried. Can anyone give me any insight or advise on if my greaing is ok and what else could be causing the motor to overheat? Thank you.
I was running a MM2 and a TP 4050CM myself and I can tell you that I also had temp issues, that's why I converted back to the Max8 combo. I would check if your motor is a D or Y wind. If it's a D (like my one) you have to set the ESC timing to 0. The default on the Castle ESCs is 10/15 I think. Setting it to 0 could help you with the temps. And I would also gear down to a 20t or lower. Maybe these two things help you out, considering you have the big 4070 which should run cooler than my 4050cm. If all of this doesn't work, you should probably get a fan :)

I was running a MM2 and a TP 4050CM myself and I can tell you that I also had temp issues, that's why I converted back to the Max8 combo. I would check if your motor is a D or Y wind. If it's a D (like my one) you have to set the ESC timing to 0. The default on the Castle ESCs is 10/15 I think. Setting it to 0 could help you with the temps. And I would also gear down to a 20t or lower. Maybe these two things help you out, considering you have the big 4070 which should run cooler than my 4050cm. If all of this doesn't work, you should probably get a fan :)
Hey thank you for all the info, I will be checking that all today!

20200217_073655.jpg
20200217_073647.jpg

Looks like it has seen some heat....so is it toast?
The magnet is not magnetized the entire length of the rotor. On the pinion end the magnets are not magnetized for about 1/2 inch, is that normal?

Last edited:
I have come to terms with the fact that I need a new motor. What to you recommend? I am looking to do some speed runs but mostly bashing around. I would perfer to keep my ESC, but open to buying combos. The TP motor was fast but did not seem outrageous.. maybe cause it was fried from the jump. Thanks for the info and advise I really appreciate it.

I have come to terms with the fact that I need a new motor. What to you recommend? I am looking to do some speed runs but mostly bashing around. I would perfer to keep my ESC, but open to buying combos. The TP motor was fast but did not seem outrageous.. maybe cause it was fried from the jump. Thanks for the info and advise I really appreciate it.

The 4070 is a bit much for the MM2 ESC and likely never saw its true potential, although timing may have held it back also.

I want to clarify that while a motor can do both speed and bashing the gearing will never be compatible for both.
You will want to run something like 18/46 or 18/50 for any use longer than 2 mins.

For speed I have seen people like Innovation RC have reached as high as 121 mph on the Limitless / Infraction using the Castle 1515 (2200kv) on 6s. The 1515, however would overheat for bashing use easily. Using larger TP 4070 motors others have reached as high as 152mph. (using XLX esc on 8s)

As @KiTris ExtremeRC mentioned the majority of TP Motors are D (Delta) winds, which like 0 degrees timing. Castle ESCs come setup default with 10 degrees timing because it matches well with Y (Wye) wind motors. Castle only sells Y-wind motors. Running the advanced timing on D wind motors will result in significant extra heat.

I have found that all motors get hot in the right situation so a set of fans should be purchased for some cheap protection.
If you don't plan on going beyond 100mph then maybe a larger diameter motor or lower KV would be best like a 4985 paired with a max5 esc or the new castle MMX8s ESC. I think one persons definition of speed runs is not always what I refer to....

Last edited:
I am running the Spektrum Firma 150 AMP (You could go for the 160 as well) esc along with the Spektrum Firma 1250kv motor. With the 27 tooth pinion and 34 tooth spool from the limitless I get about 70 mph, temps were very low for all components (motor, battery and esc). I did quite a few speed runs and bashed it around a bit as well. I am going to test with a 34 tooth pinion today and see what temps that gets me, don't think this is going to be a bashing setup but hoping to get around 80+ with it.

The 4070 is a bit much for the MM2 ESC and likely never saw its true potential, although timing may have held it back also.

I want to clarify that while a motor can do both speed and bashing the gearing will never be compatible for both.
You will want to run something like 18/46 or 18/50 for any use longer than 2 mins.

For speed I have seen people like Innovation RC have reached as high as 121 mph on the Limitless / Infraction using the Castle 1515 (2200kv) on 6s. The 1515, however would overheat for bashing use easily. Using larger TP 4070 motors others have reached as high as 152mph. (using XLX esc on 8s)

As @KiTris ExtremeRC mentioned the majority of TP Motors are D (Delta) winds, which like 0 degrees timing. Castle ESCs come setup default with 10 degrees timing because it matches well with Y (Wye) wind motors. Castle only sells Y-wind motors. Running the advanced timing on D wind motors will result in significant extra heat.

I have found that all motors get hot in the right situation so a set of fans should be purchased for some cheap protection.
If you don't plan on going beyond 100mph then maybe a larger diameter motor or lower KV would be best like a 4985 paired with a max5 esc or the new castle MMX8s ESC. I think one persons definition of speed runs is not always what I refer to....
I will do more bashing than speed runs, but 100 mph would be the max I would want to go. Some say the Max 8 combo. Someone offered me a Leopard 2000kv but I don't think the MM2 is a good ESC for that motor. There are too many choices.

I will do more bashing than speed runs, but 100 mph would be the max I would want to go. Some say the Max 8 combo. Someone offered me a Leopard 2000kv but I don't think the MM2 is a good ESC for that motor. There are too many choices.

I agree that there are many choices and that can make it difficult to choose.
My experience with motors and ESCs is based on speed so my exact setup examples are limited for bashing in the 70mph range. The setup that was shared by @Ollivander sounds pretty solid and would be able to run radio telemetry to keep an eye on the esc and motor temps (y)

Jesus, 24t pinion? Isn't stock 14t? I found 2200kv I. A 6s truck is too high. With lots of tuning and data logs from my MMX I landed at 15t on a 2000kv motor from the heavier Nero. Any more pinion and it would thermal the ESC.

So looks like I'm gonna go with something 2000kv with an 18/46 gearing. I do way more vashing then speed runs

Currently I’m running the same motor w a xlx2 w qs8 connectors only ran it once but indeed the motor was hot 39 spool 32 pinion. No fans. Just installed some. How can I use a small 2s battery to power them. Is it just using the balance plug?

Currently I’m running the same motor w a xlx2 w qs8 connectors only ran it once but indeed the motor was hot 39 spool 32 pinion. No fans. Just installed some. How can I use a small 2s battery to power them. Is it just using the balance plug?
You’ll probably have to make or buy some kind of adapter to plug into the main plug or the balance lead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back