Kraton Tp power motor recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveneron

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 4s
Hello I am looking at getting a tp power motor for my k6s exb. I am looking at the 4070 around 2000kv.
I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what kv to get for bashing. I was running a 1515 castle 2200kv but have fried it. Also am running a spectrum 160a 8s esc. I have game changer fans Earl Moorhead v2 on my motor and ESC but still cooked the castle cremation.

IMG_20210926_084309.jpg

IMG_20210926_084202.jpg

IMG_20210926_084237.jpg

I’m running a 1650kv HobbyWing and even that got hot until I installed motor fans. That was with a 21t pinion. With fans it’s ok unless I’m running it hard on thicker grass.

Hello I am looking at getting a tp power motor for my k6s exb. I am looking at the 4070 around 2000kv.
I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what kv to get for bashing. I was running a 1515 castle 2200kv but have fried it. Also am running a spectrum 160a 8s esc. I have game changer fans Earl Moorhead v2 on my motor and ESC but still cooked the castle cremation.

View attachment 173769

View attachment 173770

View attachment 173771
TP is going to run hot if you pick a D wind motor. Make sure you get a Y wind instead. Also, a 160A ESC is going to get killed by a high draw TP motor. Just a heads up.

I’m running a 1650kv HobbyWing and even that got hot until I installed motor fans. That was with a 21t pinion. With fans it’s ok unless I’m running it hard on thicker grass.
I was running 13 tooth pinion when I cooked the motor. It was on grass as well. Are you running your 1650 on 6s?

I was running 13 tooth pinion when I cooked the motor. It was on grass as well. Are you running your 1650 on 6s?
Yes, almost exclusively on 6s. I do run 4s around my driveway and yard sometimes but have never had heat issues with that. I’ve yet to change pinions but I will probably drop down to a 19t. The fans helped a lot and on hard surfaces with multiple speed runs it’s no longer an issue, even with the 21t. I haven’t been back to the soccer fields since installing the fans, but I’m expecting it to still run a bit too hot there. If you go low enough kv’s on your motor you should be able to gear up significantly over a 13t. Also, with a 160 amp ESC you could even probably get away with 8s if your motor will handle it. (I’m assuming you were running 6S since you had a 2200kv motor.) Not that I would run 8s, I don’t want to start scattering diffs and axles. But many do want that extreme speed and push the envelope.

up around 2000 kv is too high for heavy 6s bashers as you noted even the fans couldn't save your castle motor.
Something around 1600-1750 kv seems to be the sweet spot.

The factory BLX2050 or Spektrum 2050 is actually around 1915 KV. That often creates some confusion (why did the factory motor run cooler in scenario xyz when it is 2050 KV, well its not).

BLX 2050 Capture.JPG

up around 2000 kv is too high for heavy 6s bashers as you noted even the fans couldn't save your castle motor.
Something around 1600-1750 kv seems to be the sweet spot.

The factory BLX2050 or Spektrum 2050 is actually around 1915 KV. That often creates some confusion (why did the factory motor run cooler in scenario xyz when it is 2050 KV, well its not).

View attachment 173895
I was actually wondering about that because I have a V1 outcast with stock electronics and the same gearing 13 tooth pinion and it seems to do okay and I don't have a big set of fans I just have a dynamite cooler fan on there. I think I'm going to go with the castle 1717 1750 KV somewhere around there running on 6s maybe Garrett with like 19 or 20 tooth pinion with my game changer RC fans it should stay a lot cooler when bashing in off-road situations and grass
Yes, almost exclusively on 6s. I do run 4s around my driveway and yard sometimes but have never had heat issues with that. I’ve yet to change pinions but I will probably drop down to a 19t. The fans helped a lot and on hard surfaces with multiple speed runs it’s no longer an issue, even with the 21t. I haven’t been back to the soccer fields since installing the fans, but I’m expecting it to still run a bit too hot there. If you go low enough kv’s on your motor you should be able to gear up significantly over a 13t. Also, with a 160 amp ESC you could even probably get away with 8s if your motor will handle it. (I’m assuming you were running 6S since you had a 2200kv motor.) Not that I would run 8s, I don’t want to start scattering diffs and axles. But many do want that extreme speed and push the envelope.
Yes you are correct I was only intending on running 6s as it has a hard time keeping diffs in it on 6s let on 8s it would probably just grenade diffs more frequently. And quite frankly success is a lot of power for that particular truck it'll do standing backflips and wheelie at any speed and still do 60 mph

2000kv is just too high for an 8s lipo in most cases. You are sacrificing torque in a Kraton. Frying the motor in the process.
6s is ok. Many have run the 2050 stocker motorwith 8s. Just better have a good running one with ceramic BBs if you do.
I would only do that in my Lim or Infr. though. Not with my Kraton or Noto.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back