Limitless TP4080SVM - 1721 KILLER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to mention the duals… im using the custom 8570 which should be pushing over 20kw if im lucky, that translates to almost 60hp If everything goes according to the plan, and TP is right about the specs.
Do you have pictures of this?
its a thicc boi… almost 40lbs RTR with lipos
If it’s assembled you should measure it.
I’ve already weighed a full weight dual 2028 on a scorched setup which would be almost the same as a 5870 dual

Last edited:
It’s just because TP refuses to sell Jason any motors from now on, from whatever alias he tries to order from they cancel it.
Guess that’s what happens when you burn all your bridges. The lady who owns TP hates him
Fake news kid ...IM SPONSORED BY TP & NEU I HAVE OVER 60 TP MOTORS ...

Interesting stuff here. Here's to hoping you're right about that new castle esc, that would be awesome.
So, an update: MGM released the Gen3- X3 40035 ESC in February of 2023, I ordered it and it arrived. The DC input current threshold is 400A continuous and the DC output phase current is 900A on the parameter limit but my data logs are showing a little over 1050A (peak burst). Unfortunately, I am having a processing anomaly so IO sent it back for diag/repair. I’m still hopeful, but it DOES appear that the X3 needs to be dialed in with precision for each motor, unique RC reduction gearing and application (like speed runs vs drag, or bashing - I can’t bring myself to even consider bashing with this ESC after spending nearly $800 for it).

Anyways, once I get it back and everything is operating smoothly, I’ll pair it with my 5670-CM. For the initial runs, I was using the Castle 2028-1700kv. As far as Castle 12S ESC…. They keep having a set back.

Hobbywing, on the other hand, has developed an AMAZING ESC with the Max4. I have been able to push my 1/5 Losi 5T to 89mph, and even though the motor is rated for 30k RPM (560kv motor x 50.4V = 28k RPM), My data logs show almost 37k RPM… Torque Giant!!!!

As far as the TP4080-CM and 4080-SVM, I have seen the specs/data logs and it looks as though there is 150% more torque with the 4080-SVM until 50% RPM, then it rapidly falls off… so this motor would be GREAT for slightly heavier 1/7 builds that can carry the momentum as the user works the throttle (allowing the ESC/Motor a moment to “reset”), then push it to those higher speeds in excess of 175mph. The 4080-CM is looking to be better for the 1/7 on the lighter end of the weight range… it has less torque vs. the 4080-SVM, but it maintains it’s torque with only a 20% drop as the RPM increases beyond 50% RPM Max. All this to mean that the 4080-CM can continue to push the RC as the throttle trigger is pulled with less need to let the ESC/Motor “breathe” mid-run. The 4080-SVM requires more user experience/skill but can effectively be a much better motor for those record breaking speed attempts.

That said, neither motor is capable of breaking 200mph using just one… a dual motor set up, yes. It’s possible with the right aerodynamic set up (properly balanced front/rear down force), suspension tune, air dams, the right foams, bearings, and of course throttle pull execution.

Raz has the right idea and I am sure he knows that a dual motor is the way to break that 200mph mark. Quad motor builds are cool but just not cost effective and every ESC/Motor pairing needs to be VERY close in PWM timing for it all to become an efficient power output set up. This is why I think dual motor builds, using smaller footprint motors (lighter weight) with strong torque presence, offer the best case scenario for those guys looking to get their name written into Speed RC history.
Not to mention the duals… im using the custom 8570 which should be pushing over 20kw if im lucky, that translates to almost 60hp If everything goes according to the plan, and TP is right about the specs.
Not contesting your statement but more curious how you calculated 60hp from 20kW? My math: 20kW/746 = 26eHP… and using dual motors does NOT double the eHP. The biggest impact a dual motor offers is significant increase in efficiency of the motor system, which allows the motor to maintain a much higher torque through the entire RPM range. Like I said, I am not contesting anything, I just want to be sure that all the data you are relying on is being used correctly.

So, an update: MGM released the Gen3- X3 40035 ESC in February of 2023, I ordered it and it arrived. The DC input current threshold is 400A continuous and the DC output phase current is 900A on the parameter limit but my data logs are showing a little over 1050A (peak burst). Unfortunately, I am having a processing anomaly so IO sent it back for diag/repair. I’m still hopeful, but it DOES appear that the X3 needs to be dialed in with precision for each motor, unique RC reduction gearing and application (like speed runs vs drag, or bashing - I can’t bring myself to even consider bashing with this ESC after spending nearly $800 for it).

Anyways, once I get it back and everything is operating smoothly, I’ll pair it with my 5670-CM. For the initial runs, I was using the Castle 2028-1700kv. As far as Castle 12S ESC…. They keep having a set back.

Hobbywing, on the other hand, has developed an AMAZING ESC with the Max4. I have been able to push my 1/5 Losi 5T to 89mph, and even though the motor is rated for 30k RPM (560kv motor x 50.4V = 28k RPM), My data logs show almost 37k RPM… Torque Giant!!!!

As far as the TP4080-CM and 4080-SVM, I have seen the specs/data logs and it looks as though there is 150% more torque with the 4080-SVM until 50% RPM, then it rapidly falls off… so this motor would be GREAT for slightly heavier 1/7 builds that can carry the momentum as the user works the throttle (allowing the ESC/Motor a moment to “reset”), then push it to those higher speeds in excess of 175mph. The 4080-CM is looking to be better for the 1/7 on the lighter end of the weight range… it has less torque vs. the 4080-SVM, but it maintains it’s torque with only a 20% drop as the RPM increases beyond 50% RPM Max. All this to mean that the 4080-CM can continue to push the RC as the throttle trigger is pulled with less need to let the ESC/Motor “breathe” mid-run. The 4080-SVM requires more user experience/skill but can effectively be a much better motor for those record breaking speed attempts.

That said, neither motor is capable of breaking 200mph using just one… a dual motor set up, yes. It’s possible with the right aerodynamic set up (properly balanced front/rear down force), suspension tune, air dams, the right foams, bearings, and of course throttle pull execution.

Raz has the right idea and I am sure he knows that a dual motor is the way to break that 200mph mark. Quad motor builds are cool but just not cost effective and every ESC/Motor pairing needs to be VERY close in PWM timing for it all to become an efficient power output set up. This is why I think dual motor builds, using smaller footprint motors (lighter weight) with strong torque presence, offer the best case scenario for those guys looking to get their name written into Speed RC history.

Not contesting your statement but more curious how you calculated 60hp from 20kW? My math: 20kW/746 = 26eHP… and using dual motors does NOT double the eHP. The biggest impact a dual motor offers is significant increase in efficiency of the motor system, which allows the motor to maintain a much higher torque through the entire RPM range. Like I said, I am not contesting anything, I just want to be sure that all the data you are relying on is being used correctly.

I don't know many people with the MGM. Is this Jason?

Great write-up there BTW
Torque numbers falling off certainly is a key factor necessary for pushing big cars at high speeds. I SOOOO wish we had motor dynos capable of giving good data like that.

Last edited:

Great write-up there BTW
Torque numbers falling off certainly is a key factor necessary for pushing big cars at high speeds. I so wish we had motor dynos capable of giving good data like that.
No, Jason Joseph is a good friend of mine though and we chat frequently. we both got our X3 40035 around the same time & exchange data & other stuff regularly. My name is Charles Moradi, and while I run the 1/7 scale stuff, my main focus is on electric large scale speed builds and off-road speed. Sponsored by Detroit Performance RC, ProModeler Servos, AJC Mods, and a limited partnership with Flier Models Inc. (+ TP Power by association). I’m their US Amabssador and all US product returns go through me - so this allows me to see first hand, what issues are arising with the ESCs and the TP motors. I have collected lots of data over the past 3-4yrs and have found that certain ESC/motor pairings just tend to work better than others by discovering a phenomenon I’ll refer to as Amp Saturation. With Wye-Wound, LOW turn motors, they can be current overloaded and clock some enormous power output. Example: The Leopard 58113 - 1050kv (4.5 Delta Winding) motor paired with a 400A ESC will only proce the same 8,000watts peak as it would when paired with a Max5. It is because of the winding type and # of turns… higher turn # make it more resistant to big swings in DC input current to Output Phase current, which is what we see in the form of Watts Output or eHP. Now, take that 400A ESC and pair it with a Hobbystar 56112 1.5Y - 980kv and it becomes an animal and pumps out closer to 9,000 Watts, vs the 6,000Watts it’s rated for. I’m sure you have seen proof of this phenomena yourself… it explains how Castle 1721-2400kv motors are able to pump out closer to 15kW, and how guys are routinely showing data logs of their Castle 2028-1100kv motor showing 23eHP (17,000Watts!!!). Yet, the motor is rated to produce only 7800watts. Interesting right? I found that it is not that Castle motors are anymore “special” than any other motor, and they don’t use some special witchcraft, they just happen to build their speed motors using a Wye configuration and use lower turn counts for that more Direct power response people seek in the drag and speed world. It seems like motors with 0.5-1.5Y windings are easiest to be manipulated like this. So, if you ever find your self trying to decide on which motor/ESC pairing to use, consider what you need it to do. If it’s general backyard bashing, then it’s not as critical, but if doing drag or speed running, then look for a high output ESC and a motor using Wye windings with a low turn count. The motor will be more likely to have huge swings in performance depending on how the user works the throttle. If you want more consistency and speed is not the main concern, then a 4.5D wound can with aggressive gearing will perform the same way everytime - predictable. And it will probably last longer. But for those guys that wanna go full-tilt, then just consider what I just shared above and I am positive, it will be a gem of knowledge for whomever in the future. The lowest turn count that TP motors offer is generally 3Y. Not to say they don’t respond to amp saturation, but they just aren’t as sensitive like the 0.5-1.5Y motors out there. If you take a closer look at the high speed motors that TP offers, I would hazard a guess to say they are 4-pole. The exception: TP5670-CM is a 6-pole but it is also a risky motor as it consumes an enormous amount of current at start up in general, which can pretty much wipe out an ESC if the user just guns the throttle…. Meaning that the ability of the ESC to then generate enough current afterwards (after initial start up) is significantly diminished (so much stress on the FETs). So that motor is a powerful speed run motor but I would not recommend it for drag. Anyways, I hope you found some of this info useful enough to help in the future:) - feel free to reach out to me direct on messenger if you ever want to discuss any other details.

Great write-up there BTW
Torque numbers falling off certainly is a key factor necessary for pushing big cars at high speeds. I SOOOO wish we had motor dynos capable of giving good data like that.
I think it’s Charles, he’s in our messenger group.

Good update on the mgm, we have been watching Jason Joseph test it as well, and it definitely looks like he does well with the max4 as well.
I’ve been pushing the svm4080 last year getting it to 180, but I definitely think it is capable of 190+, with that said everyone should know just how difficult that actually is to pull off single motor. It is my goal this season with my single motor setup. We will see
No, Jason Joseph is a good friend of mine though and we chat frequently. we both got our X3 40035 around the same time & exchange data & other stuff regularly. My name is Charles Moradi, and while I run the 1/7 scale stuff, my main focus is on electric large scale speed builds and off-road speed. Sponsored by Detroit Performance RC, ProModeler Servos, AJC Mods, and a limited partnership with Flier Models Inc. (+ TP Power by association). I’m their US Amabssador and all US product returns go through me - so this allows me to see first hand, what issues are arising with the ESCs and the TP motors. I have collected lots of data over the past 3-4yrs and have found that certain ESC/motor pairings just tend to work better than others by discovering a phenomenon I’ll refer to as Amp Saturation. With Wye-Wound, LOW turn motors, they can be current overloaded and clock some enormous power output. Example: The Leopard 58113 - 1050kv (4.5 Delta Winding) motor paired with a 400A ESC will only proce the same 8,000watts peak as it would when paired with a Max5. It is because of the winding type and # of turns… higher turn # make it more resistant to big swings in DC input current to Output Phase current, which is what we see in the form of Watts Output or eHP. Now, take that 400A ESC and pair it with a Hobbystar 56112 1.5Y - 980kv and it becomes an animal and pumps out closer to 9,000 Watts, vs the 6,000Watts it’s rated for. I’m sure you have seen proof of this phenomena yourself… it explains how Castle 1721-2400kv motors are able to pump out closer to 15kW, and how guys are routinely showing data logs of their Castle 2028-1100kv motor showing 23eHP (17,000Watts!!!). Yet, the motor is rated to produce only 7800watts. Interesting right? I found that it is not that Castle motors are anymore “special” than any other motor, and they don’t use some special witchcraft, they just happen to build their speed motors using a Wye configuration and use lower turn counts for that more Direct power response people seek in the drag and speed world. It seems like motors with 0.5-1.5Y windings are easiest to be manipulated like this. So, if you ever find your self trying to decide on which motor/ESC pairing to use, consider what you need it to do. If it’s general backyard bashing, then it’s not as critical, but if doing drag or speed running, then look for a high output ESC and a motor using Wye windings with a low turn count. The motor will be more likely to have huge swings in performance depending on how the user works the throttle. If you want more consistency and speed is not the main concern, then a 4.5D wound can with aggressive gearing will perform the same way everytime - predictable. And it will probably last longer. But for those guys that wanna go full-tilt, then just consider what I just shared above and I am positive, it will be a gem of knowledge for whomever in the future. The lowest turn count that TP motors offer is generally 3Y. Not to say they don’t respond to amp saturation, but they just aren’t as sensitive like the 0.5-1.5Y motors out there. If you take a closer look at the high speed motors that TP offers, I would hazard a guess to say they are 4-pole. The exception: TP5670-CM is a 6-pole but it is also a risky motor as it consumes an enormous amount of current at start up in general, which can pretty much wipe out an ESC if the user just guns the throttle…. Meaning that the ability of the ESC to then generate enough current afterwards (after initial start up) is significantly diminished (so much stress on the FETs). So that motor is a powerful speed run motor but I would not recommend it for drag. Anyways, I hope you found some of this info useful enough to help in the future:) - feel free to reach out to me direct on messenger if you ever want to discuss any other details.
Last season I was overgeared at one point and managed a 179mph pass with the 4080svm posting 19500watts in the log. The tp are very capable of producing extremely high watts output as well
4070cm have easily done 14-15k watts on my 170+ runs with them without getting very hot. But I try to use the rpm’s to gain my speed and the watts eventually goes up with gearing for higher speed

This is Shawn Marsh btw

Last edited:
I think it’s Charles, he’s in our messenger group

Good update on the mgm, we have been watching Jason Joseph test it as well, and it definitely looks like he does well with the max4 as well.
I’ve been pushing the svm4080 last year getting it to 180, but I definitely think it is capable of 190+, with that said everyone should know just how difficult that actually is to pull off single motor. It is my goal this season with my single motor setup. We will see

Last season I was overgeared at one point and managed a 179mph pass with the 4080svm posting 19500watts in the log. The tp are very capable of producing extremely high watts output as well
4070cm have easily done 14-15k watts on my 170+ runs with them without getting very hot. But I try to use the rpm’s to gain my speed and the watts eventually goes up with gearing for higher speed
VERY well said…. Single motor speeds over 170mph take an ENORMOUS amount of skill, prep, experience, execution on the throttle, and a sprinkle of luck from the weather & foam gods. Best of luck this season… Jason and I were just actually talking about this year and how it is going to be one for the books in both good and bad… we agree that this year will have the most severe crashes to date, and injuries from people jumping into the hobby out of nowhere or with very little experience, yet they have the financial ability to build a $3k limitless and wreak havoc. But on the good side, I am hoping to see someone hit 203mph on a single motor this year. This hobby has had a crazy resurgence since COVID and it’s due for a new OFFICIAL world record.

I am sponsored by having 3 jobs 😂
Great to have you on here and I recognize you now from "the group".

I have always thought that castles ESC will perform best with wye motors given most of their engineering is based off the wye motors they produce.

With that said I have produced some great runs the TP4070s with delta winds.

I am sponsored by having 3 jobs 😂
Great to have you on here and I recognize you now from "the group".

I have always thought that castles ESC will perform best with wye motors given most of their engineering is based off the wye motors they produce.

With that said I have produced some great runs the TP4070s with delta winds.
Cool man, yeah, Castle definitely went about it the right way: creating the ESC around the motor designs they prefer and tend to be more “user friendly” from novice to veteran.

TP in my humble opinion, is best for the experienced user. They require operation with a much narrower scope of function, so to get the high end performance you have had, it requires quite a bit more skill and consideration. But once that is set up correctly, the results can be superior to a castle motor.

I agree that TP delta wound motors can produce some impressive results. Once the rotor overcomes that initial magnetic resistance (incredibly high in some of their motors), the motor is capable of some staggering performance. I’ve had some of my best 1/5 speed runs on a TP5860-990kv and TP5680-1070kv using a flier 400A ESC. On that note, Flier gets a bad rap, but if they are set up right, they can be a current giant to feed those crazy TP motors.

I’m currently messing with SSS 56135 motor that’s going into an experimental stretch Kraton 1/5 soon.

Cool man, yeah, Castle definitely went about it the right way: creating the ESC around the motor designs they prefer and tend to be more “user friendly” from novice to veteran.

TP in my humble opinion, is best for the experienced user. They require operation with a much narrower scope of function, so to get the high end performance you have had, it requires quite a bit more skill and consideration. But once that is set up correctly, the results can be superior to a castle motor.

I agree that TP delta wound motors can produce some impressive results. Once the rotor overcomes that initial magnetic resistance (incredibly high in some of their motors), the motor is capable of some staggering performance. I’ve had some of my best 1/5 speed runs on a TP5860-990kv and TP5680-1070kv using a flier 400A ESC. On that note, Flier gets a bad rap, but if they are set up right, they can be a current giant to feed those crazy TP motors.

I’m currently messing with SSS 56135 motor that’s going into an experimental stretch Kraton 1/5 soon.

Agreed about the TP motors magnets, and that is why they are superior to Castle. My personal opinion is that TP has better quality rotors and as Jason always says the winding wire outputs instead of the solder on terminals that Castle is doing.

Flier has always scared me. All the speed runners that I would see an attempt to use them always end in a fire ball after 1-3 runs.
For now I am sticking with Castle, but that is great info.

Such great info, you guys are so knowledgeable it's crazy 🤣. I have so many tp motors and no itch to go past 120 mph. I'm probably the only person with a tp 4080 cm in a talion xl that will never break 100 mph! it sure is awesome in there though. 😎

The problem with the 1/5 scale TP motors is that they are 6 pole and don't run well with the castle ESC.
You cannot do a high rpm/ high KV motor with a 6 pole paired to the XLX2.

For now the only way to do it is to run 1440kv or lower to keep the rpms low (under 30k rpms)

Leopard 56 and 58mm motors are 4 pole but they don't offer them in higher KV options which is lame!
I am tempted to learn how to re-wind motors so I could make them higher KV.
I was reading back through this thread, and saw your above post and got a smile on my face… I am currently working to push Leopard to make a high RPM rotor with a Stainless Steel sleeve like TP did for the 5670-CM and Castle did with the 2028-1700kv. They currently have one big can stator housing in a Wye-winding, so they just need to get onboard with creating the rotor. By my math, they should be able to cut the winding down on the current Y-configured stator and produce a 4-pole 58113 1600kv. I’m hoping they agree to do this and I have been banging on the door for them to do this since around late October 2022. The current Y-configuration is a 2Y, so by cutting down to a 1Y, it should take the kv to 1000, and by cutting to 0.5Y, it should take the kv to around 1600kv. End game: a motor to compete with the castle 2028-1700kv but with more torque and watts output as it approaches max RPM.

Such great info, you guys are so knowledgeable it's crazy 🤣. I have so many tp motors and no itch to go past 120 mph. I'm probably the only person with a tp 4080 cm in a talion xl that will never break 100 mph! it sure is awesome in there though. 😎
As the official TP Warrior and TP Brand Ambassador Influencer here on the Arrma Forum it is imperative that you use TP motors in situations that deviate from normal practices so that you may report to the rest of us your findings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back