Infraction Transmitter Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesy67

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
I hope this isn't a stupid question..... will the batteries you use in your RC effect the range you will get out of it? I am only running 4S in my Infraction and I was wondering if I upgrade to 6S will that give me more range to the car? I am also going to upgrade to a DX5 rugged and hope that helps as well.

Nope they will not. Spektrum radios in general seem to have a range limit around 600-750 feet which isn't great for speeds above 80 mph.
If you are getting into speed passes you will want to explore 2 possible paths.

1. Range / signal booster with power source for the transmitter
2. A radio with better range like the RadioLink RC6GS (runs around $75 on Amazon) The are alternative options like Futaba radios paired with their air dual antenna receivers that work well. Also their FASST protocol radios like the older/discontinued 3PM-MX, 4PX, and new 7PX if you have a big budget for radio equipment.

I have tested the RadioLink mentioned above beyond 1600 ft in one direction. (possible for a 3200ft run if you stand in the middle) It is a great budget option if you don't want to install a signal booster.

The FlySky Noble NB4 is an amazing radio if you are ok with installing a signal booster. It has a range of around 700ft out of the box.

Last edited:
I am still very green in the hobby so adding a "Range / signal booster with power source for the transmitter" is something I know nothing about. I have heard about FlySky radios but didn't know that they had such a good following. Because I am old and get set in my ways, is the DX5 R a good choice?

DX5R will give the same range as stock IMHO. Are you just stuck on Spektrum like many are? The Smart eco stuff??? Don't be. It will cost you more down the RC path. If you are keeping things stock speed wise. 80mph +/-. just stand perfectly in the middle of your run space. What I do with my stock Infr./stock radio.
Not really speed running. Range is less critical.

@LibertyMKiii pretty much gave you skinnny on range and whats out there.(y)(y)

If you are fairly new to all this and need better range for serious speed running, I advise getting the Radiolink RC6GS and buying the optional double antenna Rx.
What I did for my Lim. I also have a DX5C and Noble NB4. with various other rigs paired to them. The Noble is sweet no doubt, my favorite of all of them, just that the RL RC6GS has the best range for speed running of them at any price. I can vouch for what @LibertyMKiii stated. Stand in the middle of your run space and you can get 3200 ft of operational range with the Radiolink. Even with the RC4GS ( a few coins cheaper, same range) Period . Without needing any complicated range extender and modding.

Last edited:
I am still very green in the hobby so adding a "Range / signal booster with power source for the transmitter" is something I know nothing about. I have heard about FlySky radios but didn't know that they had such a good following. Because I am old and get set in my ways, is the DX5 R a good choice?
Adding to what was said above by @SrC the DX5 R tends to be a radio for guys who race and signal range is never a concern.
The RadioLink we have been mentioning comes on Amazon with the dual antenna receiver and is $79.00
It is a deal that is hard to beat. Extra receivers are only $19.99 if you have multiple RCs. The radio can program up to 10 RC car saved profiles. Menus are easy to navigate and understand. (unlike some other radios)

It is telemetry capable and comes with voltage telemetry if you wanted to install it. Also the receiver has a built in Gyro/stability control if you wanted to enable that feature.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Transmitter-Receiver-Crawler-Drifting/dp/B07DPNNTWT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=DOVZZJBZ2Q1R&dchild=1&keywords=radiolink+rc6gs+v2&qid=1631216921&sprefix=radiolink+rc,aps,208&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFMRzdGRURRVDlaS1gmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1OTIzMTcyVlY2Q0lDR1pMTkRJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0Njc5ODdBWVEzTUY1NDZDNlcmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

^^^ Word.
V2 RC6GS now comes with the dual antenna Rx. Yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Tr...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
You get some voltage and signal telemetry also with alarms you can set. The Rx is awesome. And Radiolink Rx's are much less $$$ compared to any Spektrum stuff. Has a Built in Gyro if you are so inclined to use that too. And a Tx knob to control its gain on the fly. Maybe not as much fanfare as a Spektrum Smart eco setup. :unsure:But RL range has it beat.;)

Last edited:
I have the Radiolink RC6GS, and I love it. It advertises a range of 1900 feet (600 meters), which is about three times the range of most radios. I have not gone to 1900 feet, but I have gone pretty far. It’s my “go to” radio for my fast RC vehicles.

Thank you gents for all the great info. This is my dilemma. I have the infraction V2 and the Kraton EXB. The EXB still needs all electronics and the stock infraction radio fell on the ground and broke, so I don't have a radio period. don't have a box of parts yet because Im not even a year into the hobby. I-V2 im keeping stock motor and esc for now/until it frys and EXB will be hobby wing. I have great places near me that give both a long run path, so I need a radio with decent range that will accommodate both rigs. Im not a balls out speed runner yet (still on 4S) but maybe one day. For the money and the feedback I would like to order the RC6GS V2 but an important question (to me at least) is there a button that can program the hand brake on that radio for the I-V2? If yes I think Im sold.

Deep six that Hand Brake. Real quick!
Most do anyway. Just makes the rig bloated. BEC overhead is compromised with that HB servo. HB is just a novelty, That wears off quick. What is it really doing for you? :unsure: It is not natural to drive with it. This is not a scale car. A liability at best. Get that crap off the rear driveshaft. The R. shaft has enough problems being long as it is. Adding insult to injury. It was a poor Marketting attempt. Yank it all out Don't look back. If needing that HB is your only concern yet need getting the best radio, range wise, you have to consider your priorities much better. (y)
Also get rid of the BB rear driveshaft support while you are in there. If its still there. Better nothing there. And possibly an upgrade R. Driveshaft. BB support is just a band-aid for the rear driveshaft. Arrma stuck it in there. V2's. (Lim. to this day does not come with it) Instead of addressing the R. driveshaft issue itself. Does more harm than any good. Bad execution as a band-aid. Been there. :cool:

Last edited:
I do like the HB. It has saved me on more than one occasion from bouncing off the curb (still a rookie driver) I have asked about my rear shafts, posted pictures in another thread and was told not to worry about them. Not to get away from the main topic but what shafts do most recommend?

So I'm glad to see this discussion and was wondering if any of you have tried any of the Ko Propo transmitters? Just curious because I've seen them around for years and I don't know a soul who uses them. They can be really expensive and I was wondering what you get. :unsure:

Happy to say the RL RC6GS V2 is on order today. All the feedback was awesome. This transmitter has me wanting to figure out lights, sounds and more on it rather than currently having switches on the car or other little remotes. For those usung it and the double antenna receiver, was the 90 deg angle critical for them to function? A pic of antenna setup would be awesome. I have just stripped the stock Spektrum out today and this is my first time doing anything with electronics. Basic wrenching is easy but electronics to me are a whole other area.

Screenshot_20210919-180025_Samsung Internet.jpg

Today was a good day. This radio and receiver are fantastic, so i decided it was finally time to upgrade batteries as well. I can see Im gonna chew tires now.

20210926_155833.jpg

If you just want Range for around £30 you will not go wrong with the dumbo set up easy to install I use it on most of my rigs this might be a bit late but it might help

Check out the radiolink rc6gs, super cheap and you won't beat the range, better in every way than the stock tx and the screen even has a little signal display telling you how good and solid the connection is.

The radio range discussion on Arrmaforum gets pretty frustrating to read sometimes. There is a clear knowledge gap over the physics of radio signal transmission that make me feel physical pain.

The FCC regulates all radio transmission from surface radios on the 2.5 GHz band is 1 watt. Period. Any radio sold that puts out more than that is out of compliance. Next, the FCC also regulates antenna gain. It may make your head spin, but if you swap your 1/4 wavelength coax antenna and swap it out with a 10 dB gain WiFi antenna, you will gain range but lose coverage, and also be in violation of the FCC. So most radio transmitters will perform the same out of the box. The other end is the more important side, the receiver. Two antennas may be dual antennas, but diversity antennas require a conditioning circuit to select which to listen to, many times per second. Diversity antennas on the receiver will no doubt help range. Next is antenna placement, where I declare, as a self-appointed subject matter fan, is done wrong by many, if not the majority, of speed runners. Tucking the antenna under the lexan pushes it very close to the ground plane, or out of the Fresnel zone if you happen to be a savvy wikipedia reader. That's the #1 range killer in RC cars. Carbon fiber and aluminum are both excellent insulators for wireless signals. Any carbon or aluminum in the line of sight from the Tx to the Rx will cast a radio shadow over your antenna. That's why two is better than one. The reason you go with 90 degrees of separation is really just a rule of thumb, to catch signals cast out of polar alignment. Definitely more of an issue in airplanes that can have virtually any orientation between radio and aircraft. On the ground, the waves move perpendicular to the surface, more or less, and the car is virtually always situated in plane while driving, so diversity is less important but still may be helpful in seeking max range.

You can add a signal booster, I recommend DalRC, but it is against the law in the US and EU to do. It's harmless if you are outside of a crowded area, but in a built environment, that's your cell phone, emergency services communication, your WiFi, and a number of other radio systems that people rely on.

With a clear line of sight, high antenna placement, and low noise, there is no reason a 1 watt 2.4 GHz system wouldn't reach 3000 feet. It's the same as an air radio in all regards except protocol and ground plane effects. An airplane is in the free field, a car is in an incident field. That's a big advantage for the airplane, and it is the reason the car's antenna should be as high as you can get it.

So it's not a matter over which radio is best. Assuming every importer is honest about their specs, it should be a matter over which receiver antenna is installed the best. Buy whatever radio you'd like, it won't be the radio's fault you lose contact at 300 feet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back