Traxxas 4-tec "hot rods"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grihn

It's small, but it's fierce!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Infraction
  4. Outcast 4s
  5. Senton 6s
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Vendetta
  8. Vorteks
  9. Voltage
Anyone have first hand experience with these?

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/hot-rods/

I'm heavily contemplating on picking up one of each. I really wouldn't plan on modding them, maybe a brushless conversion at some point, but not really for speed as much as for ease of maintenance. They'd be used primarily with the kids for playing around in the driveway and our neighborhood streets. I'm just a sucker for cool old hot rods and these things are calling my name.

I had one recently that I had to upgrade. Brushed anything is super slow and not fun for me at least. Not a big fan of this car stock. Everything is plastic from the drive shafts to the turnbuckles.

I would say, if your plans are to upgrade this car to BL eventually, you should probably look at the VXL version so start with. You could program the ESC so the kids can drive it at reasonable speeds. They HATE curbs too, plastic corners and TB's breaks pretty easily.

I had one recently that I had to upgrade. Brushed anything is super slow and not fun for me at least. Not a big fan of this car stock. Everything is plastic from the drive shafts to the turnbuckles.

I would say, if your plans are to upgrade this car to BL eventually, you should probably look at the VXL version so start with. You could program the ESC so the kids can drive it at reasonable speeds. They HATE curbs too, plastic corners and TB's breaks pretty easily.
Thanks, I'll look at into what's needed to make that work. I doesn't look like the hot rod body will just drop onto the VXL chassis, but I'm sure it can be done with the right parts.

I have the Coupe, and I've upgraded it to a Hobbywing Max10 SCT ESC with 4000kv brushless motor. It also has Hot Racing aluminum rear axle carriers, steering knuckles, and C hubs, plus Traxxas aluminum turnbuckles and CVD driveshafts all around. Since that pic was taken I've replaced the last plastic links in the rear with steel links.

1933 Hot Rod Coupe Chassis.jpg

I have the Coupe, and I've upgraded it to a Hobbywing Max10 SCT ESC with 4000kv brushless motor. It also has Hot Racing aluminum rear axle carriers, steering knuckles, and C hubs, plus Traxxas aluminum turnbuckles and CVD driveshafts all around. Since that pic was taken I've replaced the last plastic links in the rear with steel links.

View attachment 188063
How do you like it in general?

Thanks, I'll look at into what's needed to make that work. I doesn't look like the hot rod body will just drop onto the VXL chassis, but I'm sure it can be done with the right parts.

I went aluminum everywhere with mine. Steel CVD's too. Aluminum on all 4 corners. Sold it to a guy in here a while ago.
IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

How do you like it in general?
I'm a sucker for Fords from the thirties, and I fell in love with the look of the Hot Rods. The Hot Rods aren't much fun brushed, but with the brushless system it's fast on 2s, and a beast on 3s (I run mostly 2s). Based on recommendations from the 4-tec forum, I recently put a spool in the front diff to help with keeping it straight on speed runs, and that's a big improvement. It's just so much fun to drive, and it looks great while running, especially with the lights on.

Tengo el Coupe y lo actualicé a un Hobbywing Max10 SCT ESC con motor sin escobillas de 4000kv. También tiene portadores de eje trasero de aluminio Hot Racing, manguetas de dirección y cubos C, además de tensores de aluminio Traxxas y ejes de transmisión CVD por todas partes. Desde que se tomó esa foto, he reemplazado los últimos eslabones de plástico en la parte trasera con eslabones de acero.

View attachment 188063

Hola amigo, perdon por preguntar despues de tanto tiempo. Quiero actualizar mi hot rod traxxas como el tuyo con el mismo hobbywing, ¿podrías decirme exactamente qué rueda dentada (tamaño, dientes) has instalado? ¿Te funcionó el soporte de motor original? ¿Cómo es la operación? He leído que sin sensores es un poco tosco. Disculpa tantas preguntas pero mi conocimiento es poco. Cualquier consejo que me puedas dar será bienvenido.
Gracias

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back