Traxxas Hoss or Summit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrma Tough

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
Before all u arrma fanboys start hating on me for using the arrma forum instead of traxxas. The arrma forum is much simpler to use so I am using it. So which would be better not looking for performance Just fun

I mean no offense by this but your question is like asking which is better an apple or an orange?

they are two completely different vehicles and it really depends on your goals with the vehicle. One is a crawler and one is more like a monster truck. I’m sure both could be fun with the right terrain. 👍🏻

Before all u arrma fanboys start hating on me for using the arrma forum instead of traxxas. The arrma forum is much simpler to use so I am using it. So which would be better not looking for performance Just fun

Neither. Take the pile of money that you would spend on either one and burn it in a lipo fire, that would be fun to watch.

If you wanna some type of basher, the Hoss. For trails and some type of crawling, the Summit. I have the Summit but it was already upgraded to Castle 6S combo, it is a lot of fun for bashing also with that power, but you need to be careful with it, because the driveline wont hold up in aggressive use. For bashing the Maxx would be also good, but seems that the widening kit almost a must have, if you don't wanna flip it in every corner.

of all my old Rc's from 2012 when I got out of the hobby my Brushless converted summit is the only one I kept. now that I have gotten back into the hobby and bought a Kraton EXB and LC racing EMB-MT the summit is still my favorite all around machine.

it's a great trail truck, it'll crawl over almost everything and with the brushless conversion it's fast enough to be fun.

I just have a hobby wing wpsc8/2000kv combo running on 4s with the stock gearing in it.

if I really want to beat on something I use the EXB and you can't beat the LC for being extreme portable

I would avoid the Hoss it is basically an overpriced Stampede 4x4 and as others have stated I would spend the extra and get the Maxx.

That being said I have both a Stampede 4x4 and a Summit, both are completely different machines with completely different purposes. When I want to go mess around on the hiking trails I grab the Summit, when I want to send it or mess around at the track I grab the Stampede.

Last edited:
Based on the Arrma rigs you currently have, you should buy the Summit for it's different functions. IMO, the Hoss seems like a smaller, less durable BRCC 4x4.

I nearly bought the maxx but ready have had a fare few 7 traxxas so thought I'd try something different. I got the big rock crew cab. Try and have a go before your next purchase. I'm quite happy with its simplicity compared to traxxas, and the build is quite good, bit the plastic isn't traxxas quality.

The OP didn't ask about the Maxx , but since some of you are saying that as an option , I'll reflect on it as I debated for over a year about getting it and finally fell victim . As said , it flips over just looking at , then fell victim to the required wide kit which hand in hand needs the metal driveshafts + alum hexes or you WILL be twisting driveshafts . This now turns into a $750 truck !!! Now this is more than any Arrma 6s lineup and nearing the $$$ of a K8S or Xmaxx ( which unarguably the best TRX they make ) . I then picked up a Noto 6s which BLOWS away the Maxx !! Turns without flipping over , no need for metal upgrade , etc !!!
If you want a little truck , just get a Noto 6s and be done with it !!! Even on 4s , it is a great truck !!!

The OP didn't ask about the Maxx , but since some of you are saying that as an option , I'll reflect on it as I debated for over a year about getting it and finally fell victim . As said , it flips over just looking at , then fell victim to the required wide kit which hand in hand needs the metal driveshafts + alum hexes or you WILL be twisting driveshafts . This now turns into a $750 truck !!! Now this is more than any Arrma 6s lineup and nearing the $$$ of a K8S or Xmaxx ( which unarguably the best TRX they make ) . I then picked up a Noto 6s which BLOWS away the Maxx !! Turns without flipping over , no need for metal upgrade , etc !!!
If you want a little truck , just get a Noto 6s and be done with it !!! Even on 4s , it is a great truck !!!
What about the Redcat Kaiju?

Last edited:
I have the Kaiju, fun truck. Hoss way overpriced and Maxx also IMO. But if I had to choose between the two Traxxas, I would rather have the Maxx. But by the time you start upgrading the Maxx you would be in the Xmaxx territory which is a better truck.

I have the Kaiju, fun truck. Hoss way overpriced and Maxx also IMO. But if I had to choose between the two Traxxas, I would rather have the Maxx. But by the time you start upgrading the Maxx you would be in the Xmaxx territory which is a better truck.
LOL , you've read my comments on the Maxx !!!!

Back