Traxxas Sledge 1/8th scale monster truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm still leaning Kraton EXB 6s full build but the I've always had HPI or Traxxas stuff. The Sledge is nice since it's an RTR and saves me from going balls out and speading $2000ish. I go back and forth on Kraton EXB 8s too. Team Corally doesn't have the parts support locally yet for me. Arrma or Traxxas for now.

You can't use AMazon GC balance through it.

Meh lhs having parts isn't a deal breaker to me, not that mine ever has what I need in stock anyway. I swear every single time I go in there I walk out with 1 out 5 things I went in there for because they are "out but can have it by next Thursday". I've tried to have them order me stuff like 3-4 times but they never call me to tell me that the parts are in I always have to call them and check. Why do you need my phone number if you aren't going to let me know my friggin parts are in?

I have a Kraton v5, an Outcast EXB BLX, and I just picked up a Sledge. It's probably my favorite basher so far, it's got the acceleration, handling, and stability of the Kraton but does backflips like the Outcast. And it's tough, as tough as the EXB or even tougher, I'm just going to leave it completely stock like my X-Maxx. The only part I've broken so far is the wing mount after dozens of bad crashes and cartwheels. My Kraton is in pieces right now waiting for parts. My Outcast is fun for wheelies and backflips. My Sledge is the best all arounder, love the clipless body and battery tray.

I'm not the only one who has bent the EXB parts rather easily it is a common occurrence. Hell someone even made a thread about whether or not the EXB parts are actually even 7075.

Could be worse they could just rip apart like the Arrma 3s tires do. At least you can reglue a tire if it comes unglued, not much you can do if it rips apart. And now that I think about it my Backflips ripped apart within the first week of owning my Outcast.

How are you breaking bulkheads? The only things I break on my Slashpede are a arms and it isn't even really a break they just split at the hinge pins. But I just recently started running Rpm a arms on it as even the HD Traxxas arms would split at the hinge pins.

And while we are on the topic of the Sledge has anyone seen the VXL6s go up in flames like the Spektrum 150a does?

And on an unrelated note, am I the only one who wishes Arrma had a decent 2wd platform? I have a 2wd Stampede and an Ecx Ruckus a real 2wd Granite would be awesome the Voltage doesn't even count as an Arrma in my book, it's like the Geo Metro in Arrmas lineup.
I actually think the 3s Typhon tires are pretty good. Hold up to 6s well.

Soo my bro finally got his sludge last week. He didn't open it till he brought it out to my house. Pretty cool I thought. I must say that we're not hardcore bashers, we spend our time together ripping various rigs around a track at my house. Nothing special, basically a figure eight in the woods. Clay,rough,lots of trees,rocks,roots ect..
Welp, I have to say the sludge is a blast on our track! Reasonably fast,predictable handling. I ran my kexb(max6/4092) with copperheads, had a hard time keeping pace with him. Swapped over to backflip LP's, much closer..I think the lsd diffs in the kraton are a hindrance on track, just doesn't turn well.. obviously with the combo I'm running, I could easily pull him on the straights but that's a given..
Also ran my kronos xtr against the sludge, equipped w/TC combo and backflip LP's. No contest,xtr is a beast on track..till my DS servo stripped some gears..😭 I had to jinx myself🤣🤣 Also tore holes in 2 of the LP'S 😭 Guess the kraton with that combo is too much for the 4s tires.
So, I got some drive time with the sludge and I liked it🤔😱🤣 can't say I'd pay 800,but it runs and handles well enough for what WE use em for at my house. Guess I ate a lil crow this weekend 🤣🤣

Meh lhs having parts isn't a deal breaker to me, not that mine ever has what I need in stock anyway.
Being locked into my LHS with that mindset is what screwed me over for over a decade. I'm not ever going back. I see way too many people dealing with the pay to play LHS nonsense. Stuff ranging from being sold only accessories from the car's brand to wondering why they have to pay a quarter of what the car costed for a simple repair that involves $20 worth a parts. I also seen many that left the hobby (& presented me with huge deals for their rigs :love:) But I'd rather they stay bashing with me than being pissed off at scamy LHSs.

Mine blew apart on 3s. Not sure how you run them on 6s.
Damn that's crazy, the wifey was using them on her typhon 6s with a tp 4060 + max 6 and they were working out pretty well. Held up to multiple street bashes and even used them in our drag races once or twice. I think I did have to reglue a tire or 2 at some point but I thought they lasted so well I bought another set from jrc for like 29$. I actually bought some tires from amazon that looked like knock off typhon 3s tires and those worked out pretty well too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y5DC67M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Damn that's crazy, the wifey was using them on her typhon 6s with a tp 4060 + max 6 and they were working out pretty well. Held up to multiple street bashes and even used them in our drag races once or twice. I think I did have to reglue a tire or 2 at some point but I thought they lasted so well I bought another set from jrc for like 29$. I actually bought some tires from amazon that looked like knock off typhon 3s tires and those worked out pretty well too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y5DC67M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are nice too it says not to run them on 6s but they held up great for me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3137524182...gH8wY9CSNK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
If you look around they come in a few different style and colors of wheels.

Just wanted to give an update on my bro's sludge.. So, now my brother has officially started calling it the sludge himself🤣🤣
About a month or so ago, it snapped a front drive shaft, he claims TRX warranted it, and he bought an additional spare. Now keep in mind, this thing gets ran on a track at my house, roughly once a week, and only one or two packs at that..well, here's the latest condition of the front drive shafts. Drive pins are falling out of the one remaining stock dogbone, as well as the same pin falling out of one of the replacements..
Kind of reminds me off the Redcat dogbone problems I've had..

20220702_154852.jpg

20220702_154844.jpg

In 20 years you will still be able to buy whatever parts you need for any Traxxas vehicle. You will be able to resell your Traxxas vehicle on eBay and get a top dollar wear whatever else you have is No longer supported or known by a new generation. I don’t care what’s better I care what I can maintain long-term

In 20 years you will still be able to buy whatever parts you need for any Traxxas vehicle. You will be able to resell your Traxxas vehicle on eBay and get a top dollar wear whatever else you have is No longer supported or known by a new generation. I don’t care what’s better I care what I can maintain long-term
I do agree that no other company in this business supports their products for nearly as long as TRX. I never sell rc's so long term parts support is a big deal to me.
I do own several TRX's and enjoy them very much but the sludge needs too much to be reliable from what I've seen.

I do agree that no other company in this business supports their products for nearly as long as TRX. I never sell rc's so long term parts support is a big deal to me.
I do own several TRX's and enjoy them very much but the sludge needs too much to be reliable from what I've seen.
I think Arrma should sue Traxx-ass for copying their design just like they did when Arrma put out their own automated differential design. Otherwise I bet the Sludge is a good truck once it gets several upgrades. It’s an Arrma designed truck! Why wouldn’t it perform great!!????lol It’s overpriced like all Traxx-ass stuff! Being made in America should make them cheaper not more expensive.

I think Arrma should sue Traxx-ass for copying their design just like they did when Arrma put out their own automated differential design. Otherwise I bet the Sludge is a good truck once it gets several upgrades. It’s an Arrma designed truck! Why wouldn’t it perform great!!????lol It’s overpriced like all Traxx-ass stuff! Being made in America should make them cheaper not more expensive.
Anyone put out center driveshafts for it yet? I suppose some sleeves over the front/center/rear diff outdrives would likely solve some of the issues my brother has had with his. Pins falling out of every driveshaft on his..
Designed in the US, manufactured in Taiwan..like any American company unfortunately.. Castle too.

So you’re saying Traxxas in an investment 😐

Arrma can't sue because Arrmas design is a copy as well as they don't have any patents that were infringed upon. Arrma did not invent the 1/8th scale truggy every aspect of their platform was copied from pre existening vehicles. It had nothing to do with the diffs. Arrma copied Traxxas patented shock orientation, patented center mount steering mechanism, the entire patented suspension design and the patented waterproof receiver box.

While Traxxas is a US based company all of their cars and parts are made in Taiwan. Items made in Taiwan are more expensive to make than items made in China. Ever wonder why some of the Tamiya kits are so expensive? Because they are made in Japan which costs even more.

Last edited:
I have a Sledge. It is super fun and puts a smile on my face every time I use it. It also breaks often because I bash it pretty good at the skate park. Hard landings on concrete isn't easy on anything.
I'm also not a particular brand fanboi...I'll get a car because I like it regardless of brand name (although I do consider things like support and parts availability).

20230212_150512_copy_1615x1047.jpg

Why don't the arrma fanboys understand this? I know that sounds funny coming from me... :rolleyes:
Because 99% of them know nothing about rc cars outside of Arrma, most have never owned anything other than Arrma and most started this hobby with Arrma.

I have a Sledge. It is super fun and puts a smile on my face every time I use it. It also breaks often because I bash it pretty good at the skate park. Hard landings on concrete isn't easy on anything.
I'm also not a particular brand fanboi...I'll get a car because I like it regardless of brand name (although I do consider things like support and parts availability).

View attachment 281267
Absolutely! I totally agree, I'll never be loyal to a brand. The sludge is good, just have had issues with my brother's that are uncharacteristic of TRX. Add the price of purchase and I can't see the point. Not when a kraton can be had for around $500..
Once sorted, the sludge is badass, but at nearly the cost of 2 kratons 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

Back