Traxxas Sledge 1/8th scale monster truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question.. I do agree it's a good truck, overpriced, but, if you bought it then it's worth it to you. That's what matters I guess.
Yeah I didn't need that truck with so many but all the hype on the new V2 caught my attention I guess. Poor Man's Xmaxx šŸ¤£. Don't like the way it drives, but if going in a straight line and jumping ramp it's OK. If I had to do it again I probably would have picked up something else. I've actually been thinning out my heard lately but will hang on to it for now.

Yeah I didn't need that truck with so many but all the hype on the new V2 caught my attention I guess. Poor Man's Xmaxx šŸ¤£. Don't like the way it drives, but if going in a straight line and jumping ramp it's OK. If I had to do it again I probably would have picked up something else. I've actually been thinning out my heard lately but will hang on to it for now.
My bro has the v1, it's a tough truck for sure. Some of the crashes it's taken and driven away from are very impressive. It handles like the MT that it is,good or bad, depending on what one wants to do with it. If I didn't have a kaiju, I'd be more interested, but there's the price of the Maxx to keep me away.. I think the Maxx is tougher, parts are everywhere and likely available till long after I'm dead and gone, sošŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‰šŸ˜‚šŸ»

There's all kinds of crazy arguments going on about this thing. Probably the most ridiculous one is that the Sledge drivetrain is stronger than the Kraton :rolleyes: Some even want to put the Sledge drivetrain in the Kraton. There's just so far fanboism can go. I don't care if you're completely ignorant about metal types. The Sledge's drivetrain is all monkey metal; sintered ring, pinions, & internal diff gears, sintered spur, & low-hardness driveshafts. The GP4 diffs are the strongest the Kraton ever had, & the first change the diffs had in 5 years, not to mention the limited-slip. Sledge-quality components would last 5-10 seconds tops in the Kraton EXB.
The first thing I did with my sledge was replace the ring & pinion gears in the front & rear diff w Vitavon along with the spur and cups in the center diff. I was going to order the EXB, but thought Iā€™d keep the sledge stock. Not even close. šŸ˜‚

Vitavon 7075 chassis

Monster Mamba X Esc 8S 1717/1650Kv motor combo

Power hobby 8000 120c 6S lipo

Reefs RC RAW 500HD Servo

Vitavon Steering bell crank

M2C extended 17mm wheel hubs

M2C ZRS Shock cap system

40k oil in front, 50k in rear

20 Mil center diff oil w 1/2 ear plug

KC RC motor mount

KC RC center diff mount

Hot Racing 52 spur

Hot Racing 20 pinion

Vitavon front and rear diff gear and ring gear replacement

Traxxas hardened center diff cups

Basher Queen shock towers

Garage life bumpers

Garage life wing mount

Full Force shock boots

Itā€™s a sickness. Enjoy !!

I don't like sway bars on 1/8 cars. I am indifferent on metal shock caps. Perfect saved me $90 (+$800 because I didn't get the truck)
You forgot the cost of a M2C or PPS motor mount to keep the spur gear from getting eaten. There's something about having to fix a truck right out of the box in order to drive it that just ain't right. Almost got a Sludge, I'm glad I got a Katon instead.

The Sludge. lol!! Itā€™s insane man. Iā€™m building an Outcast next. Iā€™d love suggestions about esc/motor combos. I want insane, just like me.

You forgot the cost of a M2C or PPS motor mount to keep the spur gear from getting eaten. There's something about having to fix a truck right out of the box in order to drive it that just ain't right. Almost got a Sludge, I'm glad I got a Katon instead.
I have the KC RC motor/center diff mount
Itā€™s rock solid. Currently running 23/52 gearing. The video I posted was w/ 20/52. I have a 25 to test after Arrma Katar belted tires are on. Should be wicked.

Hahaaaaa I know the feeling all that extra power !! It's invigorating. You don't even realize how you become one with the vehicle and how many near misses you almost have but your skills save you

Yep. So true. The Sludge can be fixed, obviously, but how anyone justifies the cost is just simply beyond my comprehension... Good news, my brother finally got through 3 battery packs without the Sludge falling apart!! At only about $1200 too!! Sweet truckšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤®

Back to lighting Traxxas trucks on fire and then taking them for a drive. If you mix the gas with petroleum jelly first it sticks better.

Last edited:
Well, my bro's Slug has finally had enough aftermarket parts thrown at it to make it through a battery pack without failure. He's lovin it! It has taken some licks too.
All driveshafts have been replaced by either M2C or amazon specials, shock caps (GPM), servo, esc (max6), motor mount (M2C) and tires (TRX response pro 3.8) keep in mind we run on a track only so, no big air or nothing crazy. Just alot of door/tree bangin on a hi grip clay track.
She's a heavy girl, and it shows on the track. Not what it's meant for, we know that but, that's what we do. We buy bashers and run them on our track. The Slug has finally come around.. so long as we don't discuss cost, my bro is happy. Ya know, you could've bought 2 k6 v5's right!?šŸ˜‰šŸ˜œšŸ»

Well, my bro's Slug has finally had enough aftermarket parts thrown at it to make it through a battery pack without failure. He's lovin it! It has taken some licks too.
All driveshafts have been replaced by either M2C or amazon specials, shock caps (GPM), servo, esc (max6), motor mount (M2C) and tires (TRX response pro 3.8) keep in mind we run on a track only so, no big air or nothing crazy. Just alot of door/tree bangin on a hi grip clay track.
She's a heavy girl, and it shows on the track. Not what it's meant for, we know that but, that's what we do. We buy bashers and run them on our track. The Slug has finally come around.. so long as we don't discuss cost, my bro is happy. Ya know, you could've bought 2 k6 v5's right!?šŸ˜‰šŸ˜œšŸ»
Throwing money at these rc vehicles like we're the federal government is part of the fun. But it can get out of hand šŸ˜…

Throwing money at these rc vehicles like we're the federal government is part of the fun. But it can get out of hand šŸ˜…
Yessir! It sure can! I'm happy that he's finally happy with it. I was just as disappointed as he was with the Slede also..
I took advantage by poking fun at the Sledge, I mean, IMO, TRX deserved to be picked on after all the hype they made while announcing it.
At the end of the day though, it is now a solid rig, handles predictably, definitely takes a beating. He (my bro) should be on the torture test team for sure.. he show's no mercy on his rigs.

So how many of you lunatics are going to get the m2c XL kit?

I will be holding off - I just bought their regular sledge chassis finally, so not quite ready to throw that away!

(Though nothing gets thrown away - it gets stored nicely and then one day when my car is as good as it gets, all the old pieces get turned into a fresh ā€œnewā€ sledge for my son.)

I've been driving my buddy's Sledge for a while, it's not a bad truck. It's got plenty of issues right out of the box but so does a BLX if you beat on it. Now that I have some drive time behind the wheel I've revised my opinion of the Sledge. I give it 3 out of 5 stars. They need to deal with the spur gear/motor mount issue before I would be willing to give them more. I think it's a bit overpriced too.

Back