Traxxas Stampede 2wd 3S Basher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those $20 bodies off ebay need reinforcement trust me.
View attachment 30561
View attachment 30562
View attachment 30563
Yep. I know.

This is one of those thin $20 bodies after a year of rough bashing:
2019-0126-Stampede-15mmOffsetHubsHigh.jpg

I've ground through the roof quite a bit where the roll bar I made sits. All 4 body mount holes are pretty tore up.

Yep got one of those Muddy Monster bodies didn't even bother to use it (feels really thin) without drywall mesh, E6000 and Plastidip.
Yeah next one definitely gets reinforced.

So, the Truck has 7 Packs through. I still had no breakages except from the body getting tore up more...(again, no hard skate park bashing up until now). Oh, the body....I have some pictures down below how it looks now...(the one where it is almost off the truck...that wasn't meant that way...I put it on completely, but after a roll over it was only holding on one body post...).

@slick2500 Thanks for the advice with the tuning parts...but I won't for now. I want to make this thread to show which changes I made when and why. I will replace this parts when they break. :)
@Cheapbastard About putting the tires on backwards...I spoke with the owner of my local hobbyshop recently about the Roapex Morph Tires...he told me that he actually recommends to put them on backwards, as their profile actually grips better the wrong way :D

About the new parts...The new pinion did give it more speed (not that it needed it that much for offroad bashing) while keeping the engine warm, but not hot (with the Heatsink). The Heatsink sits, it does its job...but tends to fly of because of Wheelies (trust me, the purple colour is genius for finding it again...I lost it 3 times in the field and still have it :D ).

Also...I bought & installed new Stuff: :D (Oh, and I reinforced the body with duct tape...I just hope it holds up a bit longer)

• fitting rubber sealed Ball bearings for the wheel axles (away with the bushings...)
  • TRX 3619 Body Mounts for the Monster Jam Trucks (adjustable body posts which sit further in)
  • T-Bone Rear Bumper & Wheelie Bar (it NEEDS a Wheelie Bar...also, I hope that I'll stop loosing my Heatsink, I hate searching it)
  • self build car stand (so I can store it with the wheels of the ground)

The next parts are probably going to be the T-Bone front Bumper & Servo skid...but I'll have to look, I'll have to import them myself. Apart from that...maybe new proper Offroad Tires (then I would use the original ones mainly for tarmac). Apart from that...let's see how I like it now and what breaks. :D

Notes:
I had to add the thick spacers to the rear springs to even out the Ride height after installing the T-Bone Stuff...this stuff adds some weight. I may even stiffen up the back shocks, but let's see how it drives for now.
The picture with the Stampede is just for the lulz...I met that guy randomly while bashing, and I just think the Dimension difference is hillarious

Attachments

• IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0114.jpg
    IMAG0114.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20190224-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20190224-WA0006.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0128.jpg
    IMAG0128.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0105.jpg
    IMAG0105.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 55
I got my son a 2wd stampede for christmas, so far we have put a brushless motor in it, hobbywing esc, hub extenders, better shocks, bearings, bumper and wheelie bar and a new body that looks like an old ford. It is super fun running 2s, but I'm going to get a 3s battery soon for it and see what happens! Its already way faster and more stable than stock, the hub extenders help this thing immensely!
View attachment 30558

i actually didnt even catch that.... lol :ROFLMAO:

I would look into getting a skully body. With that, gorilla tape and some pronline trenchers it will stay planted to the ground better.

I would look into getting a skully body. With that, gorilla tape and some pronline trenchers it will stay planted to the ground better.
I hear the shock springs from the Skully are supposed to be a major improvement over the white springs.

So, the Truck has 8 Packs through....aaand we have a Breakage. But not from the Chassis...the old Arrma BLX80 speed controller went out with a ton of smoke. I mean, it looked kinda cool...but, *sigh*, this feeling gets dampened when you think that you have to buy a new speed controller now...

The new parts do their job. The body mounts are nice, they now sit in a lot closer to the center, and I could lower the body a little bit. The ball bearings are nice of course, and the Wheely Bar really helps.....but won't stop it from flipping over when going full throttle from standing position on tarmac. Also, I have the feeling that the added weight at the back made it Wheely even more.

New Stuff I got:
  • Hobbywing Ezrun MAX10
  • Louise MT Uphill front Tires (get sold as Duratrax in the US i believe)
  • Big Squid RC Stickers!!
Next up will be Louise back Tires and the T-Bone Front Bumper and Servo Skid (already ordered).

Attachments

• IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
9 Packs through, next Breakage, this time it was the Chassis...one of the Rear Stub Axle Carriers broke. To be honest, it was my fault...I was running full speed on tarmac and started braking. The truck started sliding sideways, and hit an manhole sideways at approximately 50 km/h (~ 30mp/h). It send the truck flipping and broke the Stub Axle Carrier (it also cracked a little part out of the wheel, so not exactly a little impact).

About the new parts:
The tires are really nice, I really have the feeling that the grip increased, it handles better.
The ESC is nice...it's my first Hobbywing OEM ESC. At first I thought the truck had less power (on max punch setting). That isn't true, it has still enough power to Wheelie at about 50 km/h (~30 mp/h), and it still flips on it's roof (even with the Wheelie Bar) when going full throttle from a dead stop. I just thouht that because it is a lot more sensitive, the truck is easier to control now.
And the Big Squid RC stickers, well they just look nice :D

New Stuff:
  • TRX 3752 Stub Axle Carriers (I went for the original instead of the RPM ones...I may change the Driveshafts, and if I remember right the ones from Tekno need other Carriers...)
  • Louise MT Pioneer back Tires (get sold as Duratrax in the US i believe)
  • TRX 3934 Body Clips (I lost a few)

And I'm still waiting for the T-bone Front Bumper and Servo Skid, Customs takes some time...

Attachments

• IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0214.jpg
    IMAG0214.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 56
I got my son a 2wd stampede for christmas, so far we have put a brushless motor in it, hobbywing esc, hub extenders, better shocks, bearings, bumper and wheelie bar and a new body that looks like an old ford. It is super fun running 2s, but I'm going to get a 3s battery soon for it and see what happens! Its already way faster and more stable than stock, the hub extenders help this thing immensely!
View attachment 30558
What did you use for hub extenders?

Not sure what brand it was, just got them on ebay. I'm actually thinking of switching them out for some that adapt to 17mm hubs, so I can run some bigger wheels/tires.

I have been installing the Proline Protrac suspension system on mine....immensely frustrating. First the kit comes with 4mm turnbuckles but no rod ends so you then have to go out and buy some (stampede 2wd uses 3mm). Then the stock body mounts don’t fit the shock tower supplied with the kit.....I have my send ticket raised with Proline. I see why they are now discontinued, you need to buy a stack of parts in addition to the kit that they don’t tell you about so you find out when at that stage of the build?

That sounds not so fun. I like working on these cars, but sometimes I just want to run it for a while without breaking stuff!

Looks like it will. The Australian distributor has been great and I can’t fault there service. I have a new proline body mount on its way. It is disappointing however when a manufacturer (in this case Proline) make and market a product for a particular model of vehicle and when it doesn’t actually fit there response is to buy more parts to replace. Equates to false advertising and completely makes buying a kit in the first place a waste of time.

The Australian distributor was excellent and helped me via his retail store and not his fault. I won’t say I will never buy Proline again, but I will definitely be looking for alternatives first

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back