Traxxas TRX4 bronco!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but having seen several of the new broncos out in the wild, I personally think they are butt-ugly.

HOWEVER, I am happy to see that the TRX4 is still being released under new licensed models. Their scale bodies, despite not being hard bodies, are absolutely amazing. FWIW it looks like other manufacturers are starting to take note from Traxxas on this one and are making high quality lexan molds with hard plastic bits for extra quality detail. MST is a good example of this.

Amazing video, I do not think the 1;1 high end bruncos are out yet. just the sport ones, at least the ones ive seen.

maybe this will be the new trx6:ROFLMAO:
1620871673195.png

Everything looks good in slo-mo...
The heavy bodied crawlers do look pretty scale in real time. Pretty sure this will be very similar to the other full spec trx4s performance wise. Light bodied trx4 sport will out perform but look like a toy bouncing around.

It looks super scale, especially with the clipless mounting system! The bumpers also look to be much better integrated with the body. With all of that said, I would still rather keep my '79 Bronco TRX-4, since the design of the new Bronco is not my favorite.
(as for the price, I'm not really surprised; licensing price is getting steeper)

I have two TRX-4's, one of which has the classic Bronco body, and I built that one from the TRX4 Sport Kit with many upgrades.

I love my TRX-4's, however the ONE thing that totally frustrates me is how easy it is to strip out the plastic while working on them. It doesn't seem to matter how careful you are not to over torque them, doing everything by hand and not with power tools, and how careful you are to line them up so you don't cross thread the plastic. Sometimes I find the screw simply never really tightens and there is nothing you can do to avoid just stripping out the plastic. I find I am nervous every single time I need to deal with screws that go into TRX4 plastic because of this, and I always get a wave of relief when I feel that re-assuring slight tightening when a screw is fully driven in.

I did have one sole issue with this happening on my Kraton build, but I think that was my fault for over-tightening the gearbox enclosure in this case. But in general I don't have this concern when working on my Kraton.

I'm interested in the X-Maxx, but worried if the plastic is the same I don't think I can deal with this on a 8s beast!

Sorry, back on topic, I really like the body options on the TRX4's! And I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the rock light kit that illuminates under your truck. The entire suspension area gets illuminated as well as the ground under your truck in darker lighting, and it just looks great.

I respect the other sides to the RC hobby like crawlers and now the big craze of No Prep drag racing , but have not gotten the interest enough in either of them to buy one , however this new Bronco does look very cool !!!
Yeah, I always thought crawlers were the dumbest thing ever and now have 5 of them...

I have two TRX-4's, one of which has the classic Bronco body, and I built that one from the TRX4 Sport Kit with many upgrades.

I love my TRX-4's, however the ONE thing that totally frustrates me is how easy it is to strip out the plastic while working on them. It doesn't seem to matter how careful you are not to over torque them, doing everything by hand and not with power tools, and how careful you are to line them up so you don't cross thread the plastic. Sometimes I find the screw simply never really tightens and there is nothing you can do to avoid just stripping out the plastic. I find I am nervous every single time I need to deal with screws that go into TRX4 plastic because of this, and I always get a wave of relief when I feel that re-assuring slight tightening when a screw is fully driven in.

I did have one sole issue with this happening on my Kraton build, but I think that was my fault for over-tightening the gearbox enclosure in this case. But in general I don't have this concern when working on my Kraton.

I'm interested in the X-Maxx, but worried if the plastic is the same I don't think I can deal with this on a 8s beast!

Sorry, back on topic, I really like the body options on the TRX4's! And I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the rock light kit that illuminates under your truck. The entire suspension area gets illuminated as well as the ground under your truck in darker lighting, and it just looks great.
I've never really had any issues with Traxxas plastics stripping, but I am pretty light on my stuff (to prevent cross threading, turn the screw in the opposite direction of tightening, and then tighten).

As for the screws on the X-Maxx, I've never owned one, but with larger cars, the screws tend to get tighter and tighter as the size increases.

And also, I think Traxxas also released a light kit control module that has brake lights, reverse lights, high-beam, low-beam, hazard lights, and indicators, which I think is pretty cool.

I have never had a problem with my Xmaxx stripping screws . Still say that even to date it is the best RC TRX has made .

I have never had a problem with my Xmaxx stripping screws . Still say that even to date it is the best RC TRX has made .
Hmmm.... Need to decide if my next RC will be a rebuilt and upgraded Mojave EXB or X-Maxx! Two different experiences I know but they are both so cool.... Eventually I'll have both (and a Typhon too...) but I need to pick one at a time to focus on.

(to prevent cross threading, turn the screw in the opposite direction of tightening, and then tighten).
You feel it kind of drop down into the thread. This way you're not recutting new threads into the old ones.

You feel it kind of drop down into the thread. This way you're not recutting new threads into the old ones.
I've never really had any issues with Traxxas plastics stripping, but I am pretty light on my stuff (to prevent cross threading, turn the screw in the opposite direction of tightening, and then tighten).

As for the screws on the X-Maxx, I've never owned one, but with larger cars, the screws tend to get tighter and tighter as the size increases.

And also, I think Traxxas also released a light kit control module that has brake lights, reverse lights, high-beam, low-beam, hazard lights, and indicators, which I think is pretty cool.
Great advice - thanks, will definitely start doing this...

Another great article. I have been wanting to get a TRX4 Bronco. It will probably be a while, but It's nice to see an honest review and upgrade tips. (y)

Last edited:
Thanks.! I was surprised as to how much I like this truck, considering we have quite a few trucks in the fleet. I'm looking forward to some tire testing with this rig out on the trail. It's crawling season here!

s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back