Typhon Truggifying the Typhon(is it worth it?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Raider
  3. Senton 6s
  4. 4x4-Mega
Just wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of turning your Typhon into a truggy. I feel like it's pretty solid stock other than the shocks(think I used the outcast's on the front two) and getting like pro-line or duratrax tires. I figured I'd ask while it's under repair to see if it's worth giving it a go.

I did it to mine and use a truck body. It’s not going back to stock anytime soon. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/trugified-typhon-in-bash-mode.8328/In stock form I was constantly having to flip it back on its wheels. With the truck body it ends up on its wheels more when I roll it... I suppose if I had nice bmx and rc tracks which were dirt I’d left it alone. Most places I go are grass so the extra ground clearance helps. Search around the forum here and you will find lots of people have done it. Wether you’ll like it better I don’t know. Doesn’t cost much to do other than the tires if you don’t have any already.

When you say 'it's under repair' do you mean you sent it out for repair or that you're doing repairs yourself? I bought the Typhon 6S last week and after 30 minutes of awesome running it went head on into a tree at nearly full speed (4 cell at the time), maybe more than once, and the gearbox completely shattered. Not complaining but in the middle of doing my own repairs and it's been a mess (stripped a screw and need to replace it). Just curious how these things are being repaired. I'm relatively new to the hobby and totally fine doing the repairs myself, but I am wondering if there are more efficient ways of repairing out there. And I'd be happy to add upgrades to reduce/minimize damage and if that means truggy changes, I'll consider those too.

When you say 'it's under repair' do you mean you sent it out for repair or that you're doing repairs yourself? I bought the Typhon 6S last week and after 30 minutes of awesome running it went head on into a tree at nearly full speed (4 cell at the time), maybe more than once, and the gearbox completely shattered. Not complaining but in the middle of doing my own repairs and it's been a mess (stripped a screw and need to replace it). Just curious how these things are being repaired. I'm relatively new to the hobby and totally fine doing the repairs myself, but I am wondering if there are more efficient ways of repairing out there. And I'd be happy to add upgrades to reduce/minimize damage and if that means truggy changes, I'll consider those too.
I've had my Typhon 6s for a while and I prefer to fix it especially since I have a little Arrma fleet now. Honestly I don't think the repairs are so bad if you stick to one compartment at a time and keep as organized as possible. I cracked my rear diff case so I'm just going to to do a mini overhaul(replacing rusty bearings and redoing my diff fluids).I would suggest getting a t-bone bumper and getting the outcast rear shocks if you can. I know it sounds weird but it definitely helps beef up the front end. But honestly I've barely had any real accidents with the buggy I only recently discovered the cracked diff case and I've had to fix a few shock arms and my speed controller died( it broke off the little holding pieces and it's Basically a modern miracle it didn't die immediately after what I put it through after that) stock tires don't last long get pro-line theyre expensive but they're also the only tires that haven't unglued on s6 power and they're properly vented. Other than that it's been my most reliable 6s Arrma car honestly. For example I got my outcast and it immediately started breaking (servo, shock shaft, motor shifted) and my 6s senton would not stop undoing the pinion gear, but it took me about three months to even realized that both my top front shock arms were cracked and honestly I haven't even replaced them because it's never affected the performance and past that I had to brush off the rust on my drive shafts.

I did it to mine and use a truck body. It’s not going back to stock anytime soon. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/trugified-typhon-in-bash-mode.8328/In stock form I was constantly having to flip it back on its wheels. With the truck body it ends up on its wheels more when I roll it... I suppose if I had nice bmx and rc tracks which were dirt I’d left it alone. Most places I go are grass so the extra ground clearance helps. Search around the forum here and you will find lots of people have done it. Wether you’ll like it better I don’t know. Doesn’t cost much to do other than the tires if you don’t have any already.
I see I'll go looking around

Lol, head on into a tree at full speed is the kiss of death to an RC car. The only thing worse is hitting sideways.

When I was heavily into riding motorcycles I would look for ways to increase the performance of my machine. One guys answer still cracks me up. He said loosing 30lbs is the best performance mod one could do to any bike.

As crazy as this might sound. I’d bet most of the breakage new Arrma guys are getting are from impact on a stationary object. Take it someware without furniture to hit at first. Don’t get carried away by the speed and excitement of these things till you figure out how to drive it, lol.

These Arrmas are tough but will brake. Maintance and repairs become super easy after just the first time doing it. After the first diff rebuild or in your case the bulkhead, you’ll fly through repairs.

Lol, head on into a tree at full speed is the kiss of death to an RC car. The only thing worse is hitting sideways.

When I was heavily into riding motorcycles I would look for ways to increase the performance of my machine. One guys answer still cracks me up. He said loosing 30lbs is the best performance mod one could do to any bike.

As crazy as this might sound. I’d bet most of the breakage new Arrma guys are getting are from impact on a stationary object. Take it someware without furniture to hit at first. Don’t get carried away by the speed and excitement of these things till you figure out how to drive it, lol.

These Arrmas are tough but will brake. Maintance and repairs become super easy after just the first time doing it. After the first diff rebuild or in your case the bulkhead, you’ll fly through repairs.
Great feedback and right on all points. I was shocked at the speed. Couldn't get enough. Definitely have a lot to learn which is cool and makes it a great hobby.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back