Typhon Truggy or keep the standard width?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoNeY$PiT

I lost it in the Sun
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
  5. Vorteks
OK, I'm putting together a basher typhon 6s v5. JBI chassis, esc mount , servo mount, shock towers. M2c standoffs, droop screws,tbones and skid plates (overkill I know). Exb bash bumper, max6 1650kv with 15t tekno pinion. Front and rear HR diff cases with Spiral gears 43/10t I believe, HR center diff 50t and Servo TBD. Not sure of the weight yet so shock oil is at 60wt for now. Badlands for sneakers, sealed eddys bearings. Any advice or suggestions on truggifying it with kraton hardware? Will I lose durability? Or should I keep it standard width? Thoughts on my choices are welcome.

Thanks everyone.

OK, I'm putting together a basher typhon 6s v5. JBI chassis, esc mount , servo mount, shock towers. M2c standoffs, droop screws,tbones and skid plates (overkill I know). Exb bash bumper, max6 1650kv with 15t tekno pinion. Front and rear HR diff cases with Spiral gears 43/10t I believe, HR center diff 50t and Servo TBD. Not sure of the weight yet so shock oil is at 60wt for now. Badlands for sneakers, sealed eddys bearings. Any advice or suggestions on truggifying it with kraton hardware? Will I lose durability? Or should I keep it standard width? Thoughts on my choices are welcome.

Thanks everyone.
I can confirm widening the rear end makes these cars drive nice. All in balance though.

Kraton F/R axle carriers, spindles, and hex hubs. 2.8 belted Badlands MX tires seem to be not only the best size but best expansion prevention. Enough people are truggifying their Typhons that Proline should consider making a 2.8 belted Badlands carcass for a 1/8 buggy wheel or a new SC style tire/wheel combo for direct fit on Arrma and Corally 6S bashing 1/8 buggies. My typhon 6S is pretty beefed up. I wouldn't say you're going overkill except for maybe the aluminum bulkheads.
Type "truggifed Typhon 6S" into Richduperbash YT channel. Wider hubs are unfortunately a must as the 2.8 MT tires won't fit over the stock Typhon hubs.

Standard width and tires will turn quicker and steer more precisely. For higher speeds, lighter tires are better. Adding wider tires will be more stable, land jumps better, roll over ruts and rougher terrain better. Bigger tires will also backflip more easily.

Downside of heavier tires is the motor and ESC will heat up faster. Also, depending on which tires you get, wider tires are more likely to balloon at high speed and make the vehicle harder to control.

If you prefer higher speed, more precise handling, and run more on flatter surfaces, stick with stock. If you prefer bashing, jumps, backflips, especially on rougher off-road terrain, wider tires will be better.

Last edited:
I love my truggified typhon on mojave tires. I also ran it with road tires while truggified and thought it was nice.

Kraton F/R axle carriers, spindles, and hex hubs. 2.8 belted Badlands MX tires seem to be not only the best size but best expansion prevention. Enough people are truggifying their Typhons that Proline should consider making a 2.8 belted Badlands carcass for a 1/8 buggy wheel or a new SC style tire/wheel combo for direct fit on Arrma and Corally 6S bashing 1/8 buggies. My typhon 6S is pretty beefed up. I wouldn't say you're going overkill except for maybe the aluminum bulkheads.
Type "truggifed Typhon 6S" into Richduperbash YT channel. Wider hubs are unfortunately a must as the 2.8 MT tires won't fit over the stock Typhon hubs.
Just ordered the 2.8s kraton hardware on its way.
Standard width and tires will turn quicker and steer more precisely. For higher speeds, lighter tires are better. Adding wider tires will be more stable, land jumps better, roll over ruts and rougher terrain better. Bigger tires will also backflip more easily.

Downside of heavier tires is the motor and ESC will heat up faster. Also, depending on which tires you get, wider tires are more likely to balloon at high speed and make the vehicle harder to control.

If you prefer higher speed, more precise handling, and run more on flatter surfaces, stick with stock. If you prefer bashing, jumps, backflips, especially on rougher off-road terrain, wider tires will be better.
Bashing is the idea for this build, thank you for your input. Gonna use my vorteks for a speed build when I get done with this one.

I thought mine looked funny with wide arms and belted 2.8's. It also looked goofy on talion wheels. i'll post them in a min.
Here’s the different stuff I did. I settled on mojave arms on my road typhon and went back to stock with the belted 2.8’s

Attachments

• 2C3E2A01-9DB6-4CAC-AB4B-4442443307F7.jpeg
    2C3E2A01-9DB6-4CAC-AB4B-4442443307F7.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 87
  • A798A242-0051-4EAC-8F6B-00D474FEABB2.jpeg
    A798A242-0051-4EAC-8F6B-00D474FEABB2.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 93F75392-C78B-4FE2-A9D3-2BAB94A1319A.jpeg
    93F75392-C78B-4FE2-A9D3-2BAB94A1319A.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 79
  • F17F9E13-DAC0-4602-BACF-17D32AFADEFD.jpeg
    F17F9E13-DAC0-4602-BACF-17D32AFADEFD.jpeg
    613.3 KB · Views: 79
  • E057019A-9F6B-417E-ADDF-1C0A6764DA43.jpeg
    E057019A-9F6B-417E-ADDF-1C0A6764DA43.jpeg
    621.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 067BA7A1-B847-4B5D-B228-B081E10D564A.jpeg
    067BA7A1-B847-4B5D-B228-B081E10D564A.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 8CAE470A-FE84-44A3-9A4B-004DB6FA6001.jpeg
    8CAE470A-FE84-44A3-9A4B-004DB6FA6001.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 83
  • BC35BA41-BA84-4497-8DB6-F36A8E4F769B.jpeg
    BC35BA41-BA84-4497-8DB6-F36A8E4F769B.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 83
I thought mine looked funny with wide arms and belted 2.8's. It also looked goofy on talion wheels. i'll post them in a min.
Here’s the different stuff I did. I settled on mojave arms on my road typhon and went back to stock with the belted 2.8’s
Not gonna lie,, I like that wide stance and the color

Not gonna lie,, I like that wide stance and the color
I thought it made it look like a water bug hahahaha. I did the black body like a black widow for that reason, the other is a pro line color, i can't remember which one.

I thought it made it look like a water bug hahahaha. I did the black body like a black widow for that reason, the other is a pro line color, i can't remember which one.
I have a proline body and gonna attempt my first ever paint job.

I don't have a problem with the wider stance overall, but it would look sooooo much better if the wider stance came from doing something like using Mojave arms and standard Typhon/Mojave axle carriers. Having the axle carriers sitting not-inside the wheels looks goofy and kinda ratchet. Also gives wider steering sweep, if that's the correct term. If Horizon had the audacity to do staggered-diameter SC style wheels for the damn Losi LMT then they defiently shouldn't have a problem doing it for a dedicated Truggified tire/wheel combo.

I don't have a problem with the wider stance overall, but it would look sooooo much better if the wider stance came from doing something like using Mojave arms and standard Typhon/Mojave axle carriers. Having the axle carriers sitting not-inside the wheels looks goofy and kinda ratchet. Also gives wider steering sweep, if that's the correct term. If Horizon had the audacity to do staggered-diameter SC style wheels for the damn Losi LMT then they defiently shouldn't have a problem doing it for a dedicated Truggified tire/wheel combo.
Scrub radius may be the technical term you were looking for. I too try to avoid it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back