TRX-4 2021 Bronco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschlosser0405

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
Ok, so first off I want to apologize for posting a Traxxas issue on here, this is my only forum. Anyway, I have a trx-4, I just installed the HW Axe 540L system not long ago. I set it up to run in fwd/rev with brake as I am using it for trailing. My brake is immediate upon releasing the throttle, I have NO free roll. Brakes work when I hit them but it stops really quick even without hitting the brakes. Is this normal? Is it just because of all the gear reduction? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I think the drag brake may be set to high? I used the hw program card on my axial 10.3 with a fushion pro system to set everything. Pretty sure I set my drag break high n it stops just as you describe.

Ok, so first off I want to apologize for posting a Traxxas issue on here, this is my only forum. Anyway, I have a trx-4, I just installed the HW Axe 540L system not long ago. I set it up to run in fwd/rev with brake as I am using it for trailing. My brake is immediate upon releasing the throttle, I have NO free roll. Brakes work when I hit them but it stops really quick even without hitting the brakes. Is this normal? Is it just because of all the gear reduction? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you have the crawler/drag brake on. I'm not 100% familiar with the Axe but I am assuming it has a setting for the drag brake like other Hobbywing escs do.

The drag brake settings are disabled when you have it on fwd/rev with brake. There isn't anything I can see in the app that would cause it to stop like it does.

The drag brake settings are disabled when you have it on fwd/rev with brake. There isn't anything I can see in the app that would cause it to stop like it does.
I'm with the others. Could you be overlooking a crawl setting that stops it immediately so as to keep it held while stopping on a hill/rock?

It is working exactly as designed. Drag brake on crawlers stops the car when you release throttle, so that it’ll stay in place while you look for a new line on the rocks. It’s a primary feature of crawler ESCs.

Some ESCs let you change the strength or timing of the drag brake. I don’t know if yours does, but I’m sure it’s discussed in the manual.

It must be just because of the gearing. I disconnected the motor and rolled it around. Everything rolls very smoothly, just doesn't roll far when you stop pushing. I ENABLED the fwd/rev setting and set the drag brake/timing and it actively holds the wheels in place. When I DISABLE and go back to fwd/reverse with brake, the wheels spin normally when you let off the throttle (neutral). This is the first crawler I have had so I guess it is just going to take some getting used to.

I ENABLED the fwd/rev setting and set the drag brake/timing and it actively holds the wheels in place. When I DISABLE and go back to fwd/reverse with brake, the wheels spin normally when you let off the throttle (neutral).
That sounds normal to me

That’s how it is out of the box. You can set it up how ever you want it. Watch a couple YouTube videos on setup and download the app to your phone. It’s a great combo, get to know it a little and you’ll love it. I run the 540 in a Gen8 and 550 in trx6.

That’s how it is out of the box. You can set it up how ever you want it. Watch a couple YouTube videos on setup and download the app to your phone. It’s a great combo, get to know it a little and you’ll love it. I run the 540 in a Gen8 and 550 in trx6.
Ok thanks. I have the app. I was debating on getting the 550 but it was out of stock and when I stopped by the LHS they had the 2800kv 540L, so I grabbed it. Figured i'd just swap motors if I wanted more power but it definitely seems strong enough. This whole setup will surely take some time to get used to especially considering this is my first crawler. It is pretty awesome though. I'm thinking summer/fall bashing and winter spring crawling. Make my cleaning time a bit easier hopefully. Thank you for the link.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back