TRX Sport Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobjr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
Since no one I know in real life cares about this stuff I thought I’d share this non Arrma build. (Mods can move this to general chaos if applicable)

The trx4 kit is really nice. Great instructions, no errors and all around good quality. Body is the same as the sport but comes with some scale parts, roll cage light buckets and better body details.

Standard low budget crawler build for the most part. Using my gt5 radio, 20kg amazon servo, hw 1080 esc, and Holmes hobby crawlmaster sport 10tfor electrics. I did not use the battery tray or receiver box. Since the body on this is much heavier than the standard sport I wanted the battery up front for sure. I moved the esc to the opposite side to offset the weight of the motor and moved it up and closer to the center. Receiver is placed in a balloon and held down to a little kydex mount I made. Reversed the bumper mounts and only using the supports to reinforce the body (no bumpers out side the body...). The supports key the body nicely and protect it well enough. Raised up the sliders 3/8” with some homemade spacers and trimmed the doors. Battery mount is a piece of kydex I molded to the ovonic 2200mah 3s packs I like.

Painting the body did not go well. I mixed up a can of “ts” tamiya paint and used it instead of “ps”. Only when I backed it with black over white did I realize my mistake. It ran into the blue...Just going to run it until the paint starts to flake off then paint the outside. (Tip: if your crawler has no fenderwells back the body with black. Seeing the color of the body from underneath is just awful...)

Put a couple bashers in the back for pics...I’ll see how it performs against my other crawlers. Heavy body will make it less capable than the original sport but should still do pretty well. Anyone jonesing for a crawler and wants to build a kit, this is a decent one. All together, not counting radio gear, I have maybe $340 in it.

Btw I see a lot of guys wanting a rig for young children. The trx4 sport will kill two birds. Bird one, you will now own a crawler. Bird two, put a 2s pack in it and turn off the drag break and let your 5 year old have at it. Really tough little trucks. The plastic servo horn (kit comes with a metal one!) might break but that’s about it.

0ECFE342-3D81-466B-9A3F-DE3E57DE0C5B.jpeg

2112A2A2-B438-4C1D-8143-924FF3825F54.jpeg

907B9406-F4C1-4D06-8F15-BE70D4BB474C.jpeg

63C794EB-A43E-403C-9C95-9D4CE83589A6.jpeg

5BC3D30F-C5BE-4D74-B7EF-26D89F8E00C3.jpeg

75AADC26-1573-452E-AFA3-FC54F56CFF78.jpeg

Here’s a hilarious video, that show a trx4 as a pretty tough basher...

Last edited:
TRX4 sport is my crawler of choice for sure. A little overpriced like any traxxas but this, the xmaxx, and the maxx are 100% the best products traxxas have ever made.

TRX4 sport is my crawler of choice for sure. A little overpriced like any traxxas but this, the xmaxx, and the maxx are 100% the best products traxxas have ever made.
The price of the sport is about right. There are a few contenders. The new cross crawler and redcat Gen8 are two but are not as tough. I have 2 gen8, really nice but not quite there. The cross at4 kit s $340 and rtr 100$ more. A nice offering and comes with a two speed and unlocking diffs. The Axial's are really nice too, I don’t own any but have a friend who does and generally has to carry them back to the car some days and the SCX10 III is a beautiful rig but is expensive. Gmade is another. All reviewers compare these to the trx4 so that should tell us something right there wether we like it or not...
Trx4 is getting older and has not had any revisions but the other companies still haven’t caught up. I know they did not invent crawling or bashing but have delivered really good products and raised the bar for the whole industry.

Last edited:
The price of the sport is about right. There are a few contenders. The new cross crawler and redcat Gen8 are two but are not as tough. I have 2 gen8, really nice but not quite there. The cross at4 kit s $340 and rtr 100$ more. A nice offering and comes with a two speed and unlocking diffs. The Axial's are really nice too, I don’t own any but have a friend who does and generally has to carry them back to the car some days and the SCX10 III is a beautiful rig but is expensive. Gmade is another. All reviewers compare these to the trx4 so that should tell us something right there wether we like it or not...
Trx4 is getting older and has not had any revisions but the other companies still haven’t caught up. I know they did not invent crawling or bashing but have delivered really good products and raised the bar for the whole industry.
Ive got a OG scx10, Vaterra ascender and a TRX4 and none of them come even close to the TRX. I am generally not a fan of traxxas what so ever.... but man they nailed it with that rig.

Last year in the first lockdown I wanted something to build 🤔 so I looked at crawlers as something different, read about all the various brands Axial, Traxxass, Element etc and decided on the Axial SCX10 III, in hindsight I should have probably gone with the TRX4 but hey I still enjoyed the build. I went with it set up 2 speed with dig, HW1080, Holmes Hobbies motor all running off a DX5c..
It has a crazy paint job that you can't really see in the pics properly and Wild Willy as the driver 😉

IMG_6131.jpg
IMG_6157.jpg

Last year in the first lockdown I wanted something to build 🤔 so I looked at crawlers as something different, read about all the various brands Axial, Traxxass, Element etc and decided on the Axial SCX10 III, in hindsight I should have probably gone with the TRX4 but hey I still enjoyed the build. I went with it set up 2 speed with dig, HW1080, Holmes Hobbies motor all running off a DX5c..
It has a crazy paint job that you can't really see in the pics properly and Wild Willy as the driver 😉

View attachment 136955View attachment 136956
That looks amazing! Turned out super nice. I want one of those as well, great performer.

Another TRX-4 fan here, they are built really well. Good looking trucks guys!

OP, I repainted my stock gray Defender shell on the outside as well and it turned out pretty good. I sprayed it with Tamiya PS silver first, (after scuffing the body) and then put Tamiya AS intermediate blue and AS insignia white on top of it.

Seems to be holding up so far, but I haven’t done any hardcore crawling with it yet.

521795A4-2B9B-44E0-8166-CAB3105E9DDF.jpeg

30E5A219-8A12-47CE-A121-7465ED557324.jpeg

776B935D-ED12-4452-8C49-1D67C8482D97.jpeg

E484851C-BEE0-4DF5-A3E1-5CECCA3E8438.jpeg

Another TRX-4 fan here, they are built really well. Good looking trucks guys!

OP, I repainted my stock gray Defender shell on the outside as well and it turned out pretty good. I sprayed it with Tamiya PS silver first, (after scuffing the body) and then put Tamiya AS intermediate blue and AS insignia white on top of it.

Seems to be holding up so far, but I haven’t done any hardcore crawling with it yet.

View attachment 137022

View attachment 137023

View attachment 137024

View attachment 137025
Amazing job. Mine always look like a 4th grader painted them. Maybe I’ll try painting on the outside after I run it for a while.

Thanks! I did have some struggles though, lol. I ran my shell for a while too before painting, and while I thought I had cleaned and scuffed it well, I missed a few spots where the PS came off when I removed the masking tape. I had to sand them again and repaint.

I may pick up one of those kits to build with my kids. 👍

61FFE67C-B1A8-41E8-AC43-EF17F32170DC.jpeg

I have two (a Bronco and a Defender; built the Bronco as a kit), but here's a video of the Defender (completely stock other than upgraded servo, servo horn, and 5mm hex extenders in the rear). It's very capable, even with the roof rack, and spare tire, and if you watch close to the end of the video, it took a pretty rough tumble off a steep hill (nothing broke :)):

Since no one I know in real life cares about this stuff I thought I’d share this non Arrma build. (Mods can move this to general chaos if applicable)

The trx4 kit is really nice. Great instructions, no errors and all around good quality. Body is the same as the sport but comes with some scale parts, roll cage light buckets and better body details.

Standard low budget crawler build for the most part. Using my gt5 radio, 20kg amazon servo, hw 1080 esc, and Holmes hobby crawlmaster sport 10tfor electrics. I did not use the battery tray or receiver box. Since the body on this is much heavier than the standard sport I wanted the battery up front for sure. I moved the esc to the opposite side to offset the weight of the motor and moved it up and closer to the center. Receiver is placed in a balloon and held down to a little kydex mount I made. Reversed the bumper mounts and only using the supports to reinforce the body (no bumpers out side the body...). The supports key the body nicely and protect it well enough. Raised up the sliders 3/8” with some homemade spacers and trimmed the doors. Battery mount is a piece of kydex I molded to the ovonic 2200mah 3s packs I like.

Painting the body did not go well. I mixed up a can of “ts” tamiya paint and used it instead of “ps”. Only when I backed it with black over white did I realize my mistake. It ran into the blue...Just going to run it until the paint starts to flake off then paint the outside. (Tip: if your crawler has no fenderwells back the body with black. Seeing the color of the body from underneath is just awful...)

Put a couple bashers in the back for pics...I’ll see how it performs against my other crawlers. Heavy body will make it less capable than the original sport but should still do pretty well. Anyone jonesing for a crawler and wants to build a kit, this is a decent one. All together, not counting radio gear, I have maybe $340 in it.

Btw I see a lot of guys wanting a rig for young children. The trx4 sport will kill two birds. Bird one, you will now own a crawler. Bird two, put a 2s pack in it and turn off the drag break and let your 5 year old have at it. Really tough little trucks. The plastic servo horn (kit comes with a metal one!) might break but that’s about it.

View attachment 136825

View attachment 136826

View attachment 136827

View attachment 136828

View attachment 136829

View attachment 136830

Here’s a hilarious video, that show a trx4 as a pretty tough basher...
I like it jimbob looks good are those tires that came in the kit. This would be a nice change from high speed bashers that cost a lot to build and destroy there selfs to cost more to fix. Nice build (y)

I have two (a Bronco and a Defender; built the Bronco as a kit), but here's a video of the Defender (completely stock other than upgraded servo, servo horn, and 5mm hex extenders in the rear). It's very capable, even with the roof rack, and spare tire, and if you watch close to the end of the video, it took a pretty rough tumble off a steep hill (nothing broke :)):

So the question is .. which do you like better? I have a Bronco (RTR) and a Sport (RTR).

I like it jimbob looks good are those tires that came in the kit. This would be a nice change from high speed bashers that cost a lot to build and destroy there selfs to cost more to fix. Nice build (y)
Yes, they are the stock tires and wheels. I did add some weight inside the front wheels. I would prefer a little lighter foam for the sport. It’s the same foam as the other trx4s but they are much heavier. I’m not going to change anything though, I think they are a pretty good setup.
So the question is .. which do you like better? I have a Bronco (RTR) and a Sport (RTR).
For performance the sport is better but it looks like a toy truck bouncing around on the trail. The heavy body of the more scale rigs like the Bronco make them look more scale as the truck undulates over terrain.
Just like bashers it’s best to have a few.

Yes, they are the stock tires and wheels. I did add some weight inside the front wheels. I would prefer a little lighter foam for the sport. It’s the same foam as the other trx4s but they are much heavier. I’m not going to change anything though, I think they are a pretty good setup.

For performance the sport is better but it looks like a toy truck bouncing around on the trail. The heavy body of the more scale rigs like the Bronco make them look more scale as the truck undulates over terrain.
Just like bashers it’s best to have a few.
I meant which of RcWilly's .. Bronco or Defender.

;)

Agreed about your assessment for Bronco / Sport.

Both :ROFLMAO:, but if I had to choose, it would probably be the Bronco, since it has a good balance of performance and scale details (the Defender is too top and tail-heavy). However, I think the Defender has better "bashability" for the body, since all the dents and scratches don't really show as much. For the Bronco, the chrome on the side trims and grille get scratched off pretty easily during a rollover, but a chrome paint pen can hide the scratches fine (isn't as shiny as before, but doesn't look terrible either).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back