Typhon Trying to remove bearing from motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scisor34

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I took apart my Typhon 3s motor today because it was sounding rough. One of the motor bearings was completely destroyed. Also I can’t seem to get the cap to come off on the end of the motor on the pinion side. Any advice how to remove it? Thanks
B9EC9BC6-98E1-452A-83B1-F961E02253E2.jpeg

I cleaned it with Magnum Force 2 spray, was that the right decision? Definitely need to keep more on top of this.

Attachments

• 27D55CBB-FC17-4CFE-A1F7-46F63B100F60.jpeg
    27D55CBB-FC17-4CFE-A1F7-46F63B100F60.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 60
It's common as you know...crap piles in them things... just put the can down on the back end and push the bearing out from the top down.. viola, bearing removed..

Your bearing came completely apart the inner race look like it's still stuck on the shaft of the rotor and the outer part still stuck in the front of the can. You can't take the front off the motor. This is a very common problem.

Disregard my first post.. u cant push the bearing out cause the inner race is already out... sorry bout that... now you need to heat the end of the can to get it to release the outer race... if you can heat the end of the can quick enough you can just tap it on the table and the race will fall out...

If you have any snap ring pliers you can grind the end pins off and grind the ends to grab the grooved section of the outer race to pull it out... again heat in the can will help..

Ok thanks everyone. I cleaned everything up with the spray I mentioned and made sure all the metal was removed, as long as I have it apart should I do anything else To it? Electrical lube or anything? I’m changing out all the bearing to Fast Eddie’s as we speak, big difference already in the slipper assembly in how smooth it is now compared to before.

Not really much else.. just make sure its clean and you have the inner and outer races that were left from the old bearing removed and your good to go..... also be sure the wire housing is seated properly before installing the end cap of the can...

Last edited:
thanks. I got the bearing out of the cap you can remove but still need to get the pinion side one out. As far as applying heat, should I use a small torch, if so about how long should I heat it? Should I heat the entire end cap or just the area where the bearing sits?

thanks. I got the bearing out of the cap you can remove but still need to get the pinion side one out. As far as applying heat, should I use a small torch, if so about how long should I heat it? Should I heat the entire end cap or just the area where the bearing sits?
It's aluminum, so the heat will transfer all over pretty quickly, but I'd try and heat where the bearing sits, then tap it on a hard surface to see if it will dislodge.

I used a heat gun on my end cap bearing on my blx2050 a couple days ago to 250F-275F, a light tap on my workbench while it was hot and it fell out. The bearings were over a year old, I never had the motor apart. They still feel ok, but figured I'd spend the time to replace them with some hybrid sealed ceramic bearings since it will sit on a shelf all winter.

Last edited:
What he said.. ?(y)

If you don't want to heat the end cap you can hydraulic the bearing out with bread.. but heat is way faster.. just heat around the outside of the bearing, run the torch in circles around it.. make sure you have your hand protected (oven mit, leather glove) after its warmed up grab it and tap it on the table like stated above, or tap the back of the cap with a plastic screw driver handle..

What he said.. ?(y)

If you don't want to heat the end cap you can hydraulic the bearing out with bread.. but heat is way faster.. just heat around the outside of the bearing, run the torch in circles around it.. make sure you have your hand protected (oven mit, leather glove) after its warmed up grab it and tap it on the table like stated above, or tap the back of the cap with a plastic screw driver handle..
He's working on the other end of the motor, the outer race is stuck in the front of the motor can.

He's working on the other end of the motor, the outer race is stuck in the front of the motor can.

Once again my quick reading got me.. that's what happens when the old lady is requesting the christmas stuff from the attic..lol...

So back to my second post..

Once again my quick reading got me.. that's what happens when the old lady is requesting the christmas stuff from the attic..lol...

So back to my second post..
Although the same process applies.. instead of tapping the cap you tap the end of the can.. should fall right out...

Does anyone know the size of the 4 shims that I think are on the pinion side motor shaft? I’ve tried finding schematics of the motor and watching YouTube videos with no luck. The YouTube videos are where I discovered I’m missing one of the 2 bigger shims, and the smaller ones are all bent up so I thought I might as well do it right. Also, any tricks as to how to get the new bearing into the end cap that doesn’t come off? It seems as if it would be hard to line up perfectly to press it in.

Does anyone know the size of the 4 shims that I think are on the pinion side motor shaft? I’ve tried finding schematics of the motor and watching YouTube videos with no luck. The YouTube videos are where I discovered I’m missing one of the 2 bigger shims, and the smaller ones are all bent up so I thought I might as well do it right. Also, any tricks as to how to get the new bearing into the end cap that doesn’t come off? It seems as if it would be hard to line up perfectly to press it in.
The smaller ones are supposed to be bent up they are spring washers, not sure where to get the larger spacers though.

Maybe somebody here could send you a burned up motor or the parts for the cost of shipping and you could get them that way.. if I had one I'd gladly help you out..

If those parts cant be obtained unfortunately you will have to buy a new motor.. hopefully somebody can pull through for you..

Slick is 100% spot on.. those are wavy washers and are ment to be that way.. they take up end play but yet are not positive enough to create alot of drag or a bottom out situation when the pinion shaft takes a hit.. (works as a spring)..

Ok thanks everyone. It’s just weird that I can’t find a schematic for the motor to buy the correct larger spacers or how they should be installed. Are the “wavy washers” meant to face each other so they work as a cushion or spring? How about any tricks to seat the motor bearing in the motor end that the cap isn’t removable?

So I’ve come to the conclusion that the 2 larger washers were from the blown out bearing. I’m still unsure of which way the wavy washers should face, towards the motor, away from the motor, or one facing each way. I’ve reached out to Arrma and haven’t heard back from them. I assume others have had this same problem. I’m to the point that I don’t think any of this will be covered under warranty even though it’s less than 6 months old, any advice on a relatively inexpensive replacement motor? I look on Jenny’s everyday but haven’t had any luck yet, I just want to get it going. I have a Granite 3s that is only a couple months old and took it apart and it’s the the same thing, Blown bearing and the other was completely frozen, as well as the bearings on the slipper were crunchy.

Ya it is common.. I would just replace the bearings.. I'll gladly pull my motor apart and get the orientation if you like.. I'm sure all the parts are there.. like you said the large ones were the race shields from the old bearing.. just give me the word brother and I'll take mine apart... hell send me the motor and bearings and I'll do it for you.. doesn't matter to me.. just want to get you back out there man

Ya it is common.. I would just replace the bearings.. I'll gladly pull my motor apart and get the orientation if you like.. I'm sure all the parts are there.. like you said the large ones were the race shields from the old bearing.. just give me the word brother and I'll take mine apart... hell send me the motor and bearings and I'll do it for you.. doesn't matter to me.. just want to get you back out there man

That would be great if you’re willing to take yours apart and take pictures as to what the order of reassembly goes including the spacer! I can handle reassembling it, I just haven’t done it yet because I’m not sure what the correct order is. I was so surprised by how everything was such a mess I didn’t pay close enough attention when I took it apart. Thanks man!

That would be great if you’re willing to take yours apart and take pictures as to what the order of reassembly goes including the spacer! I can handle reassembling it, I just haven’t done it yet because I’m not sure what the correct order is. I was so surprised by how everything was such a mess I didn’t pay close enough attention when I took it apart. Thanks man!

No problem buddy.. I'll tear it down in a little bit...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back