Turn 3D printer into vinyl cutter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Wondering if anyone has turned their 3DP into a vinyl cutter? I don’t need it often enough to justify buying a Cricut or anything. Wondering if putting a knife on the Ender 5 is worth the effort, or drive an hour to a friends house and use her Cricut each time I need something cut?

You surely can do something like this. But it will need something which can cut in any direction. Plus, you will need to find the software which will give you the good G-code to move the head for cutting on a flat surface and in only one direction.

Here an example :
You can follow this to turn your 3D printer into a vinyl cutter : https://www.instructables.com/id/Use-3D-Printer-As-a-Plottercutter/
I saw that post?? Was wondering if anyone here had done it tho as I would trust people’s input here more than a rando internet bro. Also if someone here had tried, I could lean on them for advice too ??‍♂️

I think I’m gonna drive up to the lake and use my friends Cricut for now. I’m already having jamming issues with my 3DP right now and don’t need to mod it and make that situation worse. I’ve got 4 days worth of prints in queue as it is.

fwiw.. you can. I have tried this with my CR10's but it isn't ideal. A lot of work to get it going just right to cut vinyl. If you thought getting your first layer right with PLA was difficult.. heh The first time you accidently hit home all with the blade and it goes gouging all over your build surface before you catch it.. you'll wish you just got a plotter. Ask me how I know. lol I also have a Cameo 4... SOOOO much better for this. It's literally load, draw, cut. I can also also cut leather, make stencils out of projector film, and draw high res vectors with it. If you catch sales on Woot.. I got mine for $215.

Not worth the time and money, just look for a used Cricut or Cameo ?

Not worth the time and money, just look for a used Cricut or Cameo ?
I was checking eBay for used Cricuts and the dang things are still almost $75 broken or $150 used. Heck they’re $200 new on amazon. Not worth the $50 savings to risk no warranty.

I see this post is a bit old but I would like to chime in.

You might be able to do the "mpcnc" project (mostly printed cnc).

It's a small footprint though others have made it bigger. Just depends on if you want to tackle the project or just get an existing solution.

I see this post is a bit old but I would like to chime in.

You might be able to do the "mpcnc" project (mostly printed cnc).

It's a small footprint though others have made it bigger. Just depends on if you want to tackle the project or just get an existing solution.
Thanks for the info. Do you know where I can deep dive into some plans? I don’t mind printing a device. God knows I have the time rn. ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back