Outcast Turnbuckle upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalebT

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I just received my outcast and broke one of the front turnbuckles landing a 15ft jump. It snapped right where the threads enter the rod end. Are there better options than the stock turnbuckles?

Must have been a fluke. Mine have held up great, even with 3.8" trenchers on it. I have had the ball end on the ackerman bar pop off a couple times and I shattered the lower arm on the servo saver. But the turnbuckles are still straight.

Ok, thanks for the input. I searched the forum and didn't find any posts about broken turnbuckles. I hoped it was just a fluke.

Ok, thanks for the input. I searched the forum and didn't find any posts about broken turnbuckles. I hoped it was just a fluke.
I'd probably consider it a fluke unless you break another one.

I broke quite a few on my aftershock back in the day (low rent version of the Losi LSTv1). I went with lunsford and never had an issue again.

I bought a set of anodized ones for my Kraton shortly after i bought it. I never put them on. Not sure if they would bend on me or just pop off. I plan on trying them though.

I just ordered some from Lundsford. I am trying to find some rod ends that will accommodate the larger shaft diameter, while still allowing me to use the stock pivot balls.

I just ordered some from Lundsford. I am trying to find some rod ends that will accommodate the larger shaft diameter, while still allowing me to use the stock pivot balls.
I just installed the Lunsford turnbuckles on my K6s which I believe are the same for the outcast. I didn’t have any issues with using the stock rod ends, pretty sure they have the same size threads as stock.

I just installed the Lunsford turnbuckles on my K6s which I believe are the same for the outcast. I didn’t have any issues with using the stock rod ends, pretty sure they have the same size threads as stock.
Interesting. The website says "5mmx70mm Titanium Turnbuckles" but the stock part (AR330526) is 4mmx71mm. I would imagine trying to fit a rod end meant for a 4mm rod onto a 5mm rod would be difficult.

Interesting. The website says "5mmx70mm Titanium Turnbuckles" but the stock part (AR330526) is 4mmx71mm. I would imagine trying to fit a rod end meant for a 4mm rod onto a 5mm rod would be difficult.

I was referring to the 6s models, which have 4mm front (steering) and 5mm rear (camber)

Which model are your putting these on 4s or 6s because they make different sets for each...

I was referring to the 6s models, which have 4mm front (steering) and 5mm rear (camber)

Which model are your putting these on 4s or 6s because they make different sets for each...
This is going on my 4s, which has 4mm shafts all around. Its proving to be very difficult finding 5mm rod ends, but now that your saying the 6s has 5mm rear, maybe I can just use 6s rod ends? Is the threading 5mm as well or is it just the shaft?

I just ordered a set of TLR titanium turnbuckles for my 4s. Rear are 4mm x 70mm and front are 65mm. This set for 22SCT contains both. The steering are also 70mm, but I'll worry about those later, they don't take impact like the camber links. There are also TLR "HD" turnbuckles that are not titanium and are cheap as individual pairs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-TLR60...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This is going on my 4s, which has 4mm shafts all around. Its proving to be very difficult finding 5mm rod ends, but now that your saying the 6s has 5mm rear, maybe I can just use 6s rod ends? Is the threading 5mm as well or is it just the shaft?
I don’t have a 4s model but so long as you ordered this kit it should fit.. Says so on thier site anyway...
FFFEE327-27A2-4DE7-B545-2B28490FC397.jpeg

I was more responding to the last comment regarding 4s. They are 4mm thread rods, and the lengths for the TLR 22SCT fit right. I don't know where Lundsford gets 5mm, unless they are using a thicker rod with the same 4mm threads, or suggesting you stuff 5mm threads in the stock ends. The latest TLR part for this is actually a Lundsford part. The kit I posted is old stock part number and cheaper than buying two pairs of the latest titanium rod parts so I went for it.

One trick I found for threading the ends on shocks and such is put the rod in a drill and the end in a vice, super easy and does not appear to damage the rod at all with a normal keyless drill chuck snugged up just a little tight.

I don’t have a 4s model but so long as you ordered this kit it should fit.. Says so on thier site anyway...
View attachment 81864
I guess they use 5mm rods with 4mm threads then..I totally missed that note! I feel much better now. I actually sent an email to Lundsford, so if/when they respond I'll report back.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'll find out soon, but according to my interpretation of the diagram the front camber are 63mm and rear are 71mm as well as steering 71mm, all 4mm threaded according to part number descriptions. Lunsford has both 4s camber listed as 70mm x 5mm and steering listed as the shorter one in that 4s kit. I think they need to take another look.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'll find out soon, but according to my interpretation of the diagram the front camber are 63mm and rear are 71mm as well as steering 71mm, all 4mm threaded according to part number descriptions. Lunsford has both 4s camber listed as 70mm x 5mm and steering listed as the shorter one in that 4s kit. I think they need to take another look.
Is one or two millimeters a big enough difference to not fit? I feel like a mm or two in either direction is marginal enough to not cause issues. Then again, I'm relatively new to all of this.

a few mm in length is no big deal due to the adjustability, the nature of them, threaded on both ends. The thickness change of 1mm is kind of a big deal. It's hard to fit a 4mm thread in a 3mm rod. It can stretch and be done, but not ideal. I don't know about a 5mm rod in a 4mm plastic piece. Mathmatecially the ratio is closer than 4mm / 3mm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back