Turnigy HD vs Ovonic Air.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick2500

Anything will break if you drive it wrong enough.
Community Leader
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 3s
So this thread is just to post my personal experience with each brand of batteries, mind you I am comparing the Turnigy HD 5000mah 60c 6s to the Ovonic Air 5500mah 50c 3s packs run in series. Also to note the Turnigy HD is about a year older, the Turnigy HD was purchased in November of 2018 and the Ovonics were purchased September of 2019.

The Turnigy battery is the clear winner for me. The Turnigy HD was able to easily do double backflips, but the Ovonics were only able to get 1, if you check the what did you break today thread you can see the results of trying to pull a double with them. The Turnigy was easily capable of self righting the Outcast even as it got close to lvc, the Ovonics could not do this even on a fresh charge, I suspect the 12 gauge wire on the Ovonics had a bit of an effect on their performance. I still need to test the IR of the packs but I have a feeling the Ovonic Airs are going to be a bit higher than the Turnigy HD. I will report back my findings after I check.

Would I buy the Turnigy HDs again? Without a doubt yes I will. Would I buy the Ovonics again? Probably not unless they go on sale.

I think my IR meter is wonky, I wanted to get IR measurements at a few different levels. At rest at storage at room temp the Ovonics pack 1 is at 10 , 2 and 2 , pack 2 is at 8, 2 and 2. The Turnigy is at 12, 2, 2, 2, 2 and 10. :unsure: I tested them a few different times and cell 1 and 3 on the Ovonics kept giving me different readings, anywhere from 8-12 for cell 1 and 2-4 for cell 3, the Turning was consistent on cells 2-5 but 1 and 6 were back and forth quite a bit.

I noticed that with my Ovonic batteries too. They didn't have near the punch of my gensacearespammers, Hobbystar or Turnigy HD batteries. I haven't had any issues with the Ovonic batteries, they just don't have the punch or the top speed that the others do. I'm happy that I got them on sale for a great deal to try them. I actually kind of like it though since it "tames" the vehicles a little bit while running 6s instead of the balls to the wall of the other 6s batteries. My son loves the 3s Ovonics in his 6s Kraton but that's also because I stepped him up from 2s on it so he is just happy to have any more speed at all.

I had 2 4s Turnigy HD packs that I used on an XMaxx. Loved them! They ran just as good as my SMC True Spec Extreme's that puffed and had to be thrown out within 1 year. Turnigy batteries are simply awesome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back