Turnigy Rapid series LiPo batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
It appears Turnigy has a new LiPo series. ROAR rated so they are geared towards racers, but the C-rating is far beyond the Graphene / Panther line.
140c constant and 280c burst (10 sec)
clearly blowing smoke there like all of the others in the industry, but Turnigy has a great reputation for batteries. They also note having the lowest resistance of any of their hard case LiPo batteries to date.

The price is very reasonable. Is all of this too good to be true?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...640&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

It appears Turnigy has a new LiPo series. ROAR rated so they are geared towards racers, but the C-rating is far beyond the Graphene / Panther line.
clearly blowing smoke there like all of the others in the industry, but Turnigy has a great reputation for batteries. They also note having the lowest resistance of any of their hard case LiPo batteries to date.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...640&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
I think that Mscguy(I think that's his name) from rc groups needs to test these.

It was easier to get batteries for my car audio hobby lol cranking amps was the best indicator we used to determine burst discharge rate.

Lipos I just accepted the fact that in reality maybe 35c is more realistic of any battery, 50c being a "good enough" and anything above 70c is more of a "cool if it is" kind of deal. I remember watching/reading a while back on the drone side that it is (at that point) just technologically not possible to get a "true" >100C lipo. I tend to still lean toward that because most puff I have seen comes from lipos that have been overdischarged.

It's easy to overdischarge when the current demands can't be met by the supply ie that "150C" lipo isn't actually putting out 150C but being maxxed out well below that. To overcome the c shortage the capacity is increased. I have a generous amount of 6S 1300mah packs and some of the ones that have puffed on me are the ones that claimed >100C. The best ones I have are graphenes rated 75C.

Grain of salt, I will buy lipos if the price is right and as long as it's not too cheap then I just run it and take care of them.

I saw them a few days ago but decided not to take a chance on them. I will probably order a pair of 4S 6.0 Graphene Panthers when they come back in stock.

It was easier to get batteries for my car audio hobby lol cranking amps was the best indicator we used to determine burst discharge rate.

Lipos I just accepted the fact that in reality maybe 35c is more realistic of any battery, 50c being a "good enough" and anything above 70c is more of a "cool if it is" kind of deal. I remember watching/reading a while back on the drone side that it is (at that point) just technologically not possible to get a "true" >100C lipo. I tend to still lean toward that because most puff I have seen comes from lipos that have been overdischarged.

It's easy to overdischarge when the current demands can't be met by the supply ie that "150C" lipo isn't actually putting out 150C but being maxxed out well below that. To overcome the c shortage the capacity is increased. I have a generous amount of 6S 1300mah packs and some of the ones that have puffed on me are the ones that claimed >100C. The best ones I have are graphenes rated 75C.

Grain of salt, I will buy lipos if the price is right and as long as it's not too cheap then I just run it and take care of them.
No its impossible to have a true C rate higher than 55c this is from the manufacturers themselves. They actually say 50c +/-5 https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/c-rates-what-is-the-deal.17174/
And the Graphene Panthers are a true 55c pack not 75c.

And I forgot this little tidbit in there https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons

@slick2500, I was talking about my 6s 1300mah infinity graphene packs that are "stated" as being 75c. I am not saying they are 75c. But they are my best batteries to date for my quads.

>100C has been the biggest hunt on the drone side (where I am more versed with) and it has been shown the technology isn't there yet. I agree that >55c is a reach too. In fact, besides my drone lipos all my surface lipos are 50C. This year is my first jump into brushless surface with their lipos and I was still leary on the ratings greater than 50c which is why I said anything above 70c is a "cool if it is" kind of deal. I don't shoot for too high C rated batteries because I would much rather have a tested number like my car audio batteries and their cranking amps rating.

@slick2500, I was talking about my 6s 1300mah infinity graphene packs that are "stated" as being 75c. I am not saying they are 75c. But they are my best batteries to date for my quads.

>100C has been the biggest hunt on the drone side (where I am more versed with) and it has been shown the technology isn't there yet. I agree that >55c is a reach too. In fact, besides my drone lipos all my surface lipos are 50C. This year is my first jump into brushless surface with their lipos and I was still leary on the ratings greater than 50c which is why I said anything above 70c is a "cool if it is" kind of deal. I don't shoot for too high C rated batteries because I would much rather have a tested number like my car audio batteries and their cranking amps rating.
Oh okay sorry misread what you had typed.

It's so sad that nothing has been done by anyone to fix this situation, everyone else just plays along, even Danny from SMC admits that his lipo ratings are fake and he only does it to keep up with the rest of the market.

Load testing could be done. Just have to do it based on cell count and capacity. For car batteries they are charged to full then load tested for a short amount of time (30 secs I believe) to voltage drop. So a car battery fully charged gets a 500a dc load for 30 seconds. If it maintains voltage above 12v for 30secs AND rebounds it's safe to say that battery can sustain 500cca. For car audio we would take 70% of that cca as our burst and 45% of it as our continous. My 20k system used 8 batteries rated at 1050cca. For lipos I think a similar process could be done (amp load for 30 secs). I mean heck, those emergency car starter kits use huge lipo batteries in them.

Load testing could be done. Just have to do it based on cell count and capacity. For car batteries they are charged to full then load tested for a short amount of time (30 secs I believe) to voltage drop. So a car battery fully charged gets a 500a dc load for 30 seconds. If it maintains voltage above 12v for 30secs AND rebounds it's safe to say that battery can sustain 500cca. For car audio we would take 70% of that cca as our burst and 45% of it as our continous. My 20k system used 8 batteries rated at 1050cca. For lipos I think a similar process could be done (amp load for 30 secs). I mean heck, those emergency car starter kits use huge lipo batteries in them.
What audio batteries did you use? I used to work for Kinetik.

What audio batteries did you use? I used to work for Kinetik.

I ended up with 8 stinger spv70 based on price to weight to physical dimensions. I tried northstars, xspower, energizer agms, and at one point shurikens. The stinger was the most reliable price wise for a daily 0.5ohm load. 4 12" in a series 6th order with 4 5k amps for substage alone. Charging them was a pain even with two HO alts. Every two weeks each battery was disconnected from the chain and had its own charger overnight.

I like what SMC is doing now with a standardized test.
100 amp load and the "PF" (Power factor) shows the voltage per cell drop during that 100 amp test.
Most are between 3.89 - 4.01 (they show the number as 389 instead of 3.89)

They also have 2 new Alpha's (only 2s):

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-alpha-hardcase.html

"the very pinnacle of performance" according to HobbyKing
Thanks for that I missed those...
Not sure if I would go for those sort of connections on my setup but maybe... I do want some 2s packs.

"Looking for the best of the best? The Turnigy Alpha range of batteries are the very pinnacle of performance, the cream of the crop, the one to rule them all..."

And I just went and bought some CNHL's the other day... oh well ?
May try one of the Rapid 3s ones if I can get my hands on a DR10 no prep drag car..??

And I just went and bought some CNHL's the other day... oh well ?
May try one of the Rapid 3s ones if I can get my hands on a DR10 no prep drag car..??
As much as I like Turnigy batteries the sale CNHL has going right now is hard to pass up. Might have to go that route...

did this on my channel (purchased the packs myself):

The Rapids are very good packs - right up there with the Graphene Panthers - if not better, and they are hardcase.

If you do buy any please can you use the links in the description - will help me buy more ???

Also there is a good site for C ratings - https://www.liporatings.com/ - although it seems to be down at the moment
I actually can’t see the difference with the Rapids.
Specs, weight, size and wires are all similair.
Only the price is different (for a cool cover?)

https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/turnigy...hardcase-lipo-battery-pack-roar-approved.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...hardcase-lipo-battery-pack-roar-approved.html

the Alphas are hand picked cells - - bit like Intel and AMD when the pick best silicon for higher spec CPU's

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back