Turnigy Rapid series LiPo batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears Turnigy has a new LiPo series. ROAR rated so they are geared towards racers, but the C-rating is far beyond the Graphene / Panther line.
140c constant and 280c burst (10 sec)
clearly blowing smoke there like all of the others in the industry, but Turnigy has a great reputation for batteries. They also note having the lowest resistance of any of their hard case LiPo batteries to date.

The price is very reasonable. Is all of this too good to be true?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...640&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
I have the granite 140c and its way more power than a 50c!!

Wow. They are blowing some serious smoke with those ratings. 140C for a 5500 mAh battery is almost 800 amps of power unless I am calculating that wrong.

And they rated it that high, but stuck a 12 gauge discharge wire on it. Go ahead, try pulling more than 100 amps through that wire. You better have a fire extinguisher handy. There's a really good reason high-discharge packs use 10ga wire, and modelers are beginning to use huge pack connectors.

I have the granite 140c and its way more power than a 50c!!
What is a granite 140C? You mean these packs preform better than some random pack rated for 50c? A granite has a 100A esc, which maximum pulls 18C of a 5500Mha battery.

I have a set too. These are 4s2p, meaning it's basically 2x '70C' 4S packs in parallel.
The 12 gauge wire doesn't burn up when exposed to 300+A's which they do deliver. More than capable for any bashing purpose. Yet for speedrunning, the ripple is ridiculously high compared to any other high-end 4s1p battery.

What is a granite 140C? You mean these packs preform better than some random pack rated for 50c? A granite has a 100A esc, which maximum pulls 18C of a 5500Mha battery.

I have a set too. These are 4s2p, meaning it's basically 2x '70C' 4S packs in parallel.
The 12 gauge wire doesn't burn up when exposed to 300+A's which they do deliver. More than capable for any bashing purpose. Yet for speedrunning, the ripple is ridiculously high compared to any other high-end 4s1p battery.
Sorry i mean: rapid 140c 4s accu's

I bet not many on here know about the difference between 2p and 1p batteries..🤔😉
Or how the c rate of a lipo battery does not scale. 2 3s 50c lipos in series will still have a maximum c rate of 50c. The c rate is the maximum discharge rate that each individual cell is capable of.

Late to the party but I've drawn 1200 amps from a turnigy 20-30C 3s 5000 and turnigy 20-30C 3s 3200 in parallel when spot welding. That would be about 731 amps being pulled (burst ofc) from the 3s 5000. These batteries are also like 2 yrs old with plenty of abuse. That would be around 4.8x the advertised C rating.

I think the rating they advertise may just be "able to do it without exploding" but obviously not healthy for long-term use of the battery.

I just ordered 2 of the rapid batteries, gonna give em a shot on the spot welder.

IMG_20210411_191240.jpg

IMG_20210407_235151.jpg

Two of my Turnigy Rapids died already. I'm not impressed honestly. They were not that old. Anyways, I did keep them fully charged for like two days so maybe that didn't help? One puffed and the other has a "cell error" message coming from my charger. My Yowoo 4s 6000mAh 100C graphene batteries seem to be working much better and have way more punch at 100C compared to the supposedly 140C rapids. Just wanted to share my experience.

Two of my Turnigy Rapids died already. I'm not impressed honestly. They were not that old. Anyways, I did keep them fully charged for like two days so maybe that didn't help? One puffed and the other has a "cell error" message coming from my charger. My Yowoo 4s 6000mAh 100C graphene batteries seem to be working much better and have way more punch at 100C compared to the supposedly 140C rapids. Just wanted to share my experience.
I keep hearing good things about those YoWoo 100c graphene packs. I feel like they are not priced right for a no-name China brand.
Supposedly the HK graphene packs are good also along with the Tattu R-line.

I keep hearing good things about those YoWoo 100c graphene packs. I feel like they are not priced right for a no-name China brand.
I have a strong feeling that all batteries come from the same factory in China. They just change the label. Hehe. Anyways, the Yowoo battery feels like a good battery in your hands. Way heavier than the Turnigy ones. They feel like they have metal plates around the packs like SMC does. They have so much punch that I can get double backflips easily with my heavy EXB K8S with not much angle off my ramps. I paid $138 for two off ebay. Plus tax. I'm also using a 3s Yowoo lipo battery on my Granite BLX 4x4. Working great on that rig too.

I was surprised how well my Yoowoo Graphene pack did in the T3SGT. It was supposed to be a warm up pass but beat the TGP pass. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤘🏻

I was originally going to pick up some of those yowoo graphenes but ended up passing because they don't fit my arrma 3s stuff, so kinda defeats half the point. For spot welding or vehicles they fit I'm sure they're wonderful, many glowing reviews on amazon.

YoWoo is definitely family of HRB. Looks like their graphene sub-brand.
If I can pickup a nice offer I likely will.

I am also curious about Gaoneng batteries. I love them on my drones and if that's any indication they could be awesome for surface RC. they only have to learn that we are not interested in HV

1620979045663.png

I was originally going to pick up some of those yowoo graphenes but ended up passing because they don't fit my arrma 3s stuff, so kinda defeats half the point. For spot welding or vehicles they fit I'm sure they're wonderful, many glowing reviews on amazon.
My non graphine Yowoo 3s battery fits in my V3 Granite BLX. I did have to remove that little insert with the bolt from the battery tray though. Working great so far. Plenty of torque and speed with the Yowoo 3s 5200mAh. They were very affordable too. I think I bought them off Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R47LG3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

My non graphine Yowoo 3s battery fits in my V3 Granite BLX. I did have to remove that little insert with the bolt from the battery tray though. Working great so far. Plenty of torque and speed with the Yowoo 3s 5200mAh. They were very affordable too. I think I bought them off Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R47LG3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
well darnit. I guess the complaints I saw were people not taking out the insert. :/
Oh well, I'll keep y'all posted on how the rapid batteries hold up. For now they have a very good IR on the cells and charging them at 20 amps doesn't even make them warm.

well darnit. I guess the complaints I saw were people not taking out the insert. :/
Oh well, I'll keep y'all posted on how the rapid batteries hold up. For now they have a very good IR on the cells and charging them at 20 amps doesn't even make them warm.
20 amp charge 🤯 what kinda black magic is this???

20 amp charge 🤯 what kinda black magic is this???
It's only 4c lol, I do most of my batteries at 5c. Gonna be doing some further testing to push the limits of some old lipos I have because I'm convinced 1c is a waste of time unless you have poopy batteries (although even my poopy batteries do more than 1c without issues).

Some of the newest packs out there (yowoo) are rated for 10C charge rate

It's only 4c lol, I do most of my batteries at 5c. Gonna be doing some further testing to push the limits of some old lipos I have because I'm convinced 1c is a waste of time unless you have poopy batteries (although even my poopy batteries do more than 1c without issues).

Some of the newest packs out there (yowoo) are rated for 10C charge rate
I'm too chicken crap to try more then 1.5c 😂

I'm too chicken crap to try more then 1.5c 😂
Do it. Maybe check on your lipos every couple mins and gradually increase the C rating every time you charge just to see what your brand of battery can take.

As I understand it, heat generated from charging too fast is what's dangerous and can lead to thermal runaway, if it doesn't even get above room temp then you're just wasting time going slower.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back