Granite Twin Granite BLX throttle cut out issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_N00B

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
New to the forum, first post. Our family just recently got into RC during the pandemic. My wife bought me a Kraton 6S V5 for Christmas, and we got our twin boys Granite BLXs. All 3 use the same SLT transmitter. My Kraton has never had any issues (aside from a loose pinion flying out of the truck on a big jump). But the boys' Granites both seem to be plagued with throttle cut out. They're only 7, so I have the trucks running on 2S batteries and the throttle limiter set to 50. It seems each battery, I have to turn off and back on again each truck at least once or twice per charge. I never lose steering, just throttle response. Are the transmitters interfering with eachother or do I have a bigger problem? Appreciate any advice I can get.

New to the forum, first post. Our family just recently got into RC during the pandemic. My wife bought me a Kraton 6S V5 for Christmas, and we got our twin boys Granite BLXs. All 3 use the same SLT transmitter. My Kraton has never had any issues (aside from a loose pinion flying out of the truck on a big jump). But the boys' Granites both seem to be plagued with throttle cut out. They're only 7, so I have the trucks running on 2S batteries and the throttle limiter set to 50. It seems each battery, I have to turn off and back on again each truck at least once or twice per charge. I never lose steering, just throttle response. Are the transmitters interfering with eachother or do I have a bigger problem? Appreciate any advice I can get.
I'm pretty new to this too but I put a brushless motor in my granite mega an it cut out to and come to find out my motor was to tight to the spur gear

I'm pretty new to this too but I put a brushless motor in my granite mega an it cut out to and come to find out my motor was to tight to the spur gear
Yeah, but mine came with the brushless motor. Could they have made the same mistake on both trucks at the factory? Possible, I suppose, but it seems unlikely. Can you tell me what to check to know if this is the case for theirs?

Did you calibrate the throttle, neutral and brake on each of the transmitters? Also set the endpoints for the steering. It will help your steering servo last longer.

Did you calibrate the throttle, neutral and brake on each of the transmitters? Also set the endpoints for the steering. It will help your steering servo last longer.
Yes, I did this for all our trucks right out of the box.

I found out I had mine to tight by pulling the motor an slipper clutch up and bumping to trigger and noticed that my spur gear was wobbling and just barely touching the case so I took a dial indicator and rotated the shaft and adjusted the motor over until it was spinning properly and tighten it back down and it ran great for about 2 days and then I sheared all the teeth off the spur gear being a fool and doing burn outs in the mud. Currently wating on my upgrade to arrive.
Also I started out with a second hand traxxas slash that would cut out so after buying everything from a new motor to putting metal upgrade gears in the servo I found out that one of the wire from the receiver to the servo wasn't soldered right so it I hit a bump to hard or just right it would just shut down( this took me 2 weeks and $200 to figure out.

Last edited:
I have a brand new granite blx and I can't drive it outside yet as I have to wait for my sons birthday (he gets a senton). Take my degree in RC from Youtube with a grain of salt. That said I have been wrenching on the truck since I cannot drive it. Out of the box the mesh was way tight and the slipper loose. Both things that my Youtube professors say generate heat and can cause overheating. I adjusted both. You may want to check both of those.

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I started this right before I went out to sea for 6 weeks and just got back. Update: The throttle cut out issue continues on both trucks. Then, one of the trucks lost steering today. Just no steering response from the transmitter at all. Removed the body, no apparent damage. The boys were just racing the trucks in circles in the yard, no serious bashing. So one truck goes OOC, the other truck has throttle cut out once the rest of the day. A quick power cycle fixes the throttle issue every time, I'm just not sure what's causing it. As for the steering issue, that has not come back. I let it sit for an hour, turned it back on. Turned the wheels once, then it stopped responding again. Is this a sign of a dying servo? These trucks are brand new. They've only had them out a few times now, driving with 2S on 50%.

My Granite servo died in less than a week. It would quit responding at times then went totally dead. HH replaced it but sent a different servo to replace it but I got one of the 35kgs from Amazon. On the cutoff, what batteries are you using? Check the per cell voltage. There were some ESC s that were cutting off too early and required warranty replacement.

My Granite servo died in less than a week. It would quit responding at times then went totally dead. HH replaced it but sent a different servo to replace it but I got one of the 35kgs from Amazon. On the cutoff, what batteries are you using? Check the per cell voltage. There were some ESC s that were cutting off too early and required warranty replacement.
Yeah, I reached out to HH tonight to see if they can send a replacement. The batteries I'm using are Zeee 5200mAh 80C 2S for the Granites. It was all I could find in Japan, not a huge selection with the IC5 connectors here compared to the US, and I can't get LiPo batteries shipped overseas, so there's that. I have the 7200mAh version of the same battery in a 4S that I use on my Kraton. I've never had any issues with the Kraton whatsoever, and I beat the piss out of that truck.

Sounds like it’s the one’s servo is out of commission, and if I were you I’d buy 2 of them and just replace the other one as well... the throttle cutout. I had the same experience when I had the blx 100 ESC in my granite.... didn’t really ever get away from it until I bought a hobbywing combo...

Sounds like it’s the one’s servo is out of commission, and if I were you I’d buy 2 of them and just replace the other one as well... the throttle cutout. I had the same experience when I had the blx 100 ESC in my granite.... didn’t really ever get away from it until I bought a hobbywing combo...
I'll give HH a chance to make this right. But in the meantime, what servo do you recommend? I'm not trying to go big on upgrades, these kids are 7 and brand new to this. They're only driving at 50% on 2S batteries, like I mentioned, so they don't need something bulletproof. Cheap and reliable is what I'm looking for if I decide to upgrade.

I would reset the esc and make sure the battery is good quality. Sometimes the lipo sag will hit the LVC on the esc early. Also don’t use any battery adapter to connect to the esc.....like deans to ec5......

I don’t even remember what brand, but I ordered from Amazon.and I want to say it was maybe 40-50 bucks.....🤷🏼‍♂️
I literally searched granite blx 25kg servo into Amazon’s search bar....
And that cheapo chinesium servo is still going strong over a year later...

Attachments

• 4160B981-9F67-48D3-80A2-CFA15BBB1244.png
    4160B981-9F67-48D3-80A2-CFA15BBB1244.png
    503 KB · Views: 63
I don’t even remember what brand, but I ordered from Amazon.and I want to say it was maybe 40-50 bucks.....🤷🏼‍♂️
I literally searched granite blx 25kg servo into Amazon’s search bar....
And that cheapo chinesium servo is still going strong over a year later...
The problem is finding a compatible servo saver. The one that comes on the Granite is 23T, while all the servos on Amazon are 25T. The old Arrma 25T SS (PN: AR340151/ARAC8883) has virtually disappeared off the face of the earth, so you can't go that route. I've heard Kimbrough tossed around the forum, both 124 and 123. Some say the 123 fits without modification, can anyone vouch for this? I don't have all my tools with me over here, so modding a servo saver isn't a possibility at the moment. I need parts that fit.

The problem is finding a compatible servo saver. The one that comes on the Granite is 23T, while all the servos on Amazon are 25T. The old Arrma 25T SS (PN: AR340151/ARAC8883) has virtually disappeared off the face of the earth, so you can't go that route. I've heard Kimbrough tossed around the forum, both 124 and 123. Some say the 123 fits without modification, can anyone vouch for this? I don't have all my tools with me over here, so modding a servo saver isn't a possibility at the moment. I need parts that fit.
Did you ever figure this throttle issue out ... I’m new to the r/c world myself and picked up 2 new granite blx’s the one is doing exactly as you described with losing throttle but not steering . Cycle the on/off switch and everything comes back to normal

Yes, the Kimbrough 123 fits without modification. I have one on my Typhon 3s. But to modify the Kimbrough 124hd all it takes is a razor blade to trim the plastic in a similar shape as the stock servo saver. I have a Kimbrough 124hd on my Big Rock. Both work well. Another option is the Hot Racing 25t servo saver. It is aluminum and requires no modification.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...-/264960306978?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Did you ever figure this throttle issue out ... I’m new to the r/c world myself and picked up 2 new granite blx’s the one is doing exactly as you described with losing throttle but not steering . Cycle the on/off switch and everything comes back to normal
Try loosening your slipper. I had cutoff issues with my Senton on 2s. It would be ok on 3s but kept popping u joints on the driveshaft. I changed the pinion to 15T same as the granite and loosened the slipper and no more issues with stopping on 2s.
Yeah, I reached out to HH tonight to see if they can send a replacement. The batteries I'm using are Zeee 5200mAh 80C 2S for the Granites. It was all I could find in Japan, not a huge selection with the IC5 connectors here compared to the US, and I can't get LiPo batteries shipped overseas, so there's that. I have the 7200mAh version of the same battery in a 4S that I use on my Kraton. I've never had any issues with the Kraton whatsoever, and I beat the piss out of that truck.
Your batteries should be fine. I run HOOVO same exact specs. Probably the exact same batteries as your with a different label. See my other post. Try loosening your slipper.

I second that it could possibly be the batteries. If the slipper clutch was too tight that would mean you would have overtemp issues. My buddy has a new big rock and his is doing the same thing. Cutting off at exactly 3.8v with 2 different ZEEE batts (same specs). We checked his temps and it never went over 130. The esc doesn't have a feature that tells the car that the slipper is too tight and to cut off at 3.8v lol Today I gave him a couple of different batteries to try out and see if he still has the issue. I highly doubt also that 2 new rigs would have bad esc's so if you are using the same batch of battery in both Granites and they are BOTH cutting off, that likely means the batteries are the culprit.

Last edited:
I second that it could possibly be the batteries. If the slipper clutch was too tight that would mean you would have overtemp issues. My buddy has a new big rock and his is doing the same thing. Cutting off at exactly 3.8v with 2 different ZEEE batts (same specs). We checked his temps and it never went over 130. The esc doesn't have a feature that tells the car that the slipper is too tight and to cut off at 3.8v lol Today I gave him a couple of different batteries to try out and see if he still has the issue. I highly doubt also that 2 new rigs would have bad esc's so if you are using the same batch of battery in both Granites and they are BOTH cutting off, that likely means the batteries are the culprit.
You kind of answered yourself here. If it is cutting off at 3.8 it isn't the battery but the Esc cutting off too soon. This goes in line with reports of some ESC s set wrong from the factory and going lvc at 3.8 instead of 3.4 or 3.5. OP also didn't state any voltages so you are making an assumption there. With so limited info on the situation you shouldn't be eliminating anything. My issue with the too tight slipper was that with my son's Senton it had trouble getting moving and after a few tries it cut out a few times and I had to switch it on and off. Loosening the slipper was one of the things I did to address that and now it runs fine. That wasn't equated to lvc cutoff. All that can be verified though with OP checking battery voltages especially and end run to make sure the batteries can get down below 3.5v per cell.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back