Talion Two different kinds of foam in my front tire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8000ft

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Well this is interesting isn't it? While bashing today I had a piece of foam come flying out of my driver side front tire. Apparently the glue gave way on the outer rim.
I put the tire in my Little oven at 300 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes then peeled the rubber off and when I pulled the other piece of foam out it looks totally different.

you know what's really funny? As I'm sitting here writing this it occurred to me that darker yellow piece of foam that was still inside of the tire just got baked for a half an hour at 300 degrees where as the whiter piece of foam did not. I guess the mystery is solved.

Sometimes I'm an idiot.

Well this is interesting isn't it? While bashing today I had a piece of foam come flying out of my driver side front tire. Apparently the glue gave way on the outer rim.
I put the tire in my Little oven at 300 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes then peeled the rubber off and when I pulled the other piece of foam out it looks totally different.

you know what's really funny? As I'm sitting here writing this it occurred to me that darker yellow piece of foam that was still inside of the tire just got baked for a half an hour at 300 degrees where as the whiter piece of foam did not. I guess the mystery is solved.

Sometimes I'm an idiot.
View attachment 47250View attachment 47251

No big deal on the quick assumption... but still interesting what 300° does to the foams. I've never baked / only used solvent and baking looks so much faster, apparently less messy and almost usable again if we had to....
Good info to know and glad you showed it.

I've tried a few different ways different tires such as the acetone vapor trick, soaking it in raw acetone and the ever-popular boiling it in water.

I got a small countertop oven from Walmart in this is by far the best way to do it. 300 degrees for about a half an hour is a good starting point. I have had to go as long as one hour on some of the tires that I really glued on heavy.

After you heat them up just put on a pair of leather gloves or Something to protect your hands from 300 degree rubber. the tire pops off super easy. Everything is 100% reusable including the foams.

If your tires have gotten saturated on the inside with water, plan on having a swampy smell that permeates the house. I would strongly suggest putting your oven outside or air the house up really well.

I've tried a few different ways different tires such as the acetone vapor trick, soaking it in raw acetone and the ever-popular boiling it in water.

I got a small countertop oven from Walmart in this is by far the best way to do it. 300 degrees for about a half an hour is a good starting point. I have had to go as long as one hour on some of the tires that I really glued on heavy.

After you heat them up just put on a pair of leather gloves or Something to protect your hands from 300 degree rubber. the tire pops off super easy. Everything is 100% reusable including the foams.

If your tires have gotten saturated on the inside with water, plan on having a swampy smell that permeates the house. I would strongly suggest putting your oven outside or air the house up really well.

Thanks for this. I've wasted time and foams doing the acetone vapor and still didn't come off easy. I have a tabletop convection oven I can bring out to the shop that I was planning to donate to VA because it's old and I don't use it anymore. I have stacks of busted tires / wheels lately too and starting to take up space. I think I could save money here and you've broken it down easy to understand. ??

Thanks for this. I've wasted time and foams doing the acetone vapor and still didn't come off easy. I have a tabletop convection oven I can bring out to the shop that I was planning to donate to VA because it's old and I don't use it anymore. I have stacks of busted tires / wheels lately too and starting to take up space. I think I could save money here and you've broken it down easy to understand. ??
I just did mine in the oven the last time. I used those kevlar cutting/cooking gloves to handle them. What I found is you have to put them on a tray and not let them overhang, at least with an electric oven that has the big coil/heating element in the bottom. I had a couple tires hanging over and they melted. I just wrapped a cookie tray with tin foil to lay the tires on. I didn't 20 or so in an afternoon. Stunk the house up nice. Definitely something you want to do when you can vent the house with fans.

Back when I ran 3.2's on 14mm. I had to move the ones I wanted to reuse over to 17mm wheels.
2010-0214-TireBake01.jpg

I did have a few casualties, but they were tires that had the bead chewed up really bad from running at skate parks.

I tried boiling, acetone submerged, acetone vapor and applying debonder directly. Baking worked the best. Boiling just got me burned a lot by scalding water.

Some say you should let the tires cool to room temp as the heat is supposed to crystallize the CA, but I found it worked better if I pressed down on the bead when they were hot. If they didn't give, bake them another 20 minutes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back