Notorious Two sessions on new diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfochris

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new v5 notorious and took it out today for second time and the center diff melted, and I also think the fro t diff has issues, didn’t even use half a battery pack, what causes a diff to go out so quick especially like mine it junked the case in the center so hot it warped, and I haven’t took the front apart yet, any ideas on what caused this or recommendations on new parts

I have a brand new v5 notorious and took it out today for second time and the center diff melted, and I also think the fro t diff has issues, didn’t even use half a battery pack, what causes a diff to go out so quick especially like mine it junked the case in the center so hot it warped, and I haven’t took the front apart yet, any ideas on what caused this or recommendations on new parts
It's possible that there wasn't enough fluid in the difs. Shouldn't have been so low that the cases would melt though. Contact Horizon Hobby as soon as you can. They'll replace them.

From what I've seen on YouTube you'll have to ensure any diff they send to cover warranty has enough fluid in it and moves smoothly also.

And you thought you could use a brand new Arrma car without tearing it apart first...

Seriously, HH should replace everything no problem.

Diffs are so annoying I blew through two, one only two days after I installed a new one.
There's likely another issue at play here. I'm hard on my trucks, but your experience tells me that something is rotten in Denmark. First, make sure all four bearings in that gear box are good. Second, it's also possible you need a shim on the spur side of the dif on the outside of the output bearing. This helps to keep the spur and pinion meshed more snuggly. Most importantly, try to not land on throttle and avoid doing "excessive" donuts. The difs are tough, but not indestructible. While checking things, make sure the pinion has no for/aft play I'm the case.

I will check the mentioned items, but when this occurred only thing I was doing was popping wheelies on asphalt driveway no jumps no donuts and had remote set to 75% and still I was not full throttle, I would think a diff would last forever under those conditions
Also took the front diff apart, and it has a lot of shin to the fluid it’s almost metallic colored so I would say my best bet is to replace it also, I looked at the teeth and they don’t seem to show a lot of wear but in my past experience with big cars anytime fluid is metallic colored it’s not a good sign
Also is it worth buying the exb diff or not, I am not opposed to spending money now while I have it apart on anything that will make things better and last longer, bad part this is my first electric car and things are not starting off well at all, good thing I still got my nitro’s

Last edited:
There's likely another issue at play here. I'm hard on my trucks, but your experience tells me that something is rotten in Denmark. First, make sure all four bearings in that gear box are good. Second, it's also possible you need a shim on the spur side of the dif on the outside of the output bearing. This helps to keep the spur and pinion meshed more snuggly. Most importantly, try to not land on throttle and avoid doing "excessive" donuts. The difs are tough, but not indestructible. While checking things, make sure the pinion has no for/aft play I'm the case.
Yeah I put two shims when I replaced the last one, I will check if there is any other issues.

If you bash hard enough the stock setup just doesn't cut it. No fault of Arrma's I drive like a mad drunk idiot lol. Upgrades will fix all issues. Thx to Arrma's EXB and HR aluminum.

Shimming isnt an issue or question if you drop in exb diffs and at least an aluminum gearbox case cover. I racked my brain, blamed shimming or myself for some other thing. Dropped in the upgrades and no issues since and I have not changed my driving style since.

If you bash hard enough the stock setup just doesn't cut it. No fault of Arrma's I drive like a mad drunk idiot lol. Upgrades will fix all issues. Thx to Arrma's EXB and HR aluminum.

Shimming isnt an issue or question if you drop in exb diffs and at least an aluminum gearbox case cover. I racked my brain, blamed shimming or myself for some other thing. Dropped in the upgrades and no issues since and I have not changed my driving style since.
So exb diff and hot racing cover?

who carries the shims needed to do the diffs, my local hobby shop does t have many arrma parts and is about 40 mins away so I don’t even want to waists a trip just rather order off line

When I ran my second diff my HR cover still hadn't arrived, hopefully, the problems don't occur when I replace it a third time.
This is just my good parts left. I lost count how many I broke before this update

diffs.jpg

Anyone have a direct number to the warranty department, only one I have found is customer services and they transfer me and put me on hold and after about 15 mins of waiting the line goes dead, it also ask to be put on the call back list which I have tried guy calls me back and transfers me again to another department wait for a while and line goes dead, kinda really disappointed in the process of talking to the warranty department and can’t imagine getting new parts from them is gonna be any easier, anyone else have bad experience trying to get ahold of them for issues

lol that's crap... I've been using horizon for a long time and always have a pleasant experience. But I'm also never in a hurry. If they get it to me in 2 weeks that's fine.

Just try again another day and youll have better luck. Prolly overloaded because of the holiday weekend

So I’m kinda feel as if arrma is actually just dodging the issues now, I finally received a call back and gave the guy my info, he said someone would contact me through email which they did and the requested all the i fo and what happened and pictures, sounds good so far, I write up the email and attachments and send it, I receive an email back saying it’s undeliverable that there inbox is full, this is very aggravating to try to just file a warranty claim that may or may not get taken care, I try to assume they are just backed up but still would think I could at least communicate threw emails to them even if it did take a few days to respond oh well I guess.

That is a bit wonky. They warranty a lot of stuff. They will help you. Just bare with the albiet pain in the butt process right now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back