Typhon Typhon 1/5 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
What would be the best car for Arrma to make? In my opinion an 1/5 Typhon! :cool:
Alas Arrma hasn't made one (yet ;))...
To get my dream car I have to build it myself. Hopefully it can be a simple build and this tread can be a how-to guide to build one.

First the math. What makes a 1/5 car?
Comparing the kraton 1/8 and outcast 1/8 with their 1/5 counter parts, the conclusion is: 1/5 is about 130% bigger than 1/8 in all sizes.
If the typhon 6s 1/8 is upscaled to 130% you get an almost identical size of the mojave car.
So the mojave as a base for the 1/5 typhon seems to be the best solution.

In my opinion the biggest flaw of the current Arrma 1/5 models is weight (n), they more than double the weight compared to their 1/8 counterparts...
Typhon is the lightest car of the series, so a 1/5 typhon needs to be light. 6S is the way to go to keep it a light vehicle.

In my other thread you can read about my mojave and how I made it lighter: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/monster-mojave-nl.32991/

This thread will be based on my carbon lightend mojave, here is the base:
Mojave top.jpg

To get the right width of the car I use 1/2" offset wheels:
Louise RC MFT ST-UPHILL 3.8 1 2-Offset.jpg

With these wheels the typhon will be a bit truggyfied and has almost the perfect size plus using the strong mojave arms as a bonus. 💪
If you want to get a more pure 1/5 typhon than the talion arms would be perfect (less strong though).

Is 6s enough to move a 1/5th scale vehicle with big ol tires? I know it's not a TRUE 1/5th based on the Mojave but you would need the bigger wheels and bigger power to move them right?
It should be OK. I run 4S in my Typhon 6S truck and it has plenty of pep. Also 6S is plenty in a K6S. It’s just a little shorter than a Mojave.

It should be OK. I run 4S in my Typhon 6S truck and it has plenty of pep. Also 6S is plenty in a K6S. It’s just a little shorter than a Mojave.
Ok so this is basically just a little bit bigger 6s rig as opposed to the true 8s scales. Yea as far as 4s on a 6s rig goes I get that it would handle it because the motor is built for that size of rig but wouldn't you need an 8th scale motor like 1100kv so you don't overheat due to weight and huge tires?

Ok so this is basically just a little bit bigger 6s rig as opposed to the true 8s scales. Yea as far as 4s on a 6s rig goes I get that it would handle it because the motor is built for that size of rig but wouldn't you need an 8th scale motor like 1100kv so you don't overheat due to weight and huge tires?
I would say a 1100-1700 size would be ideal.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses! :)

The 6S motor is imho more than capable to drive the car with the bigger wheels, I drive it at 75% of 6S (set on the remote).
If you bash hard or really push your RC than it might be a problem, my car only gets very mild bashing ;) (no jumping).
Since I already have the tires this would be the cheapest solution (only new rear tires):
img_20210116_163159-jpg.121636

I am not sure if this is the way to go, maybe talion arms and wheels is the perfect solution (both have almost perfect dimensions).
My real prove would be how the rig handles, it should handle (almost) like the 6S typhon (although a bit more slugisch). If it doesn't than the talion arms and wheels are my plan B. :cool:

My body option is the Limitless becouse it is the closest thing I know of to a typhon body:
Limitless.jpg

My inspiration comes from:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/1-6-typhon-from-my-take-off-parts-bin.32988/
So a big thank you to @SrC and others (y):giggle:

@SrC We would very much like to see the update on your Typhon build :D

In the mean while parts have finally arrived and the build is getting along nicely.
This is the first batch of goodies :cool:
Parts.jpg

To keep things lightweight I decided to buy Titanium parts from Scorched parts.
Scorched parts Titanium.jpg

Unfortunately the Mojave shock towers are the wrong size, so had to order new Kraton V5 shock towers.
Here you see them ready to get a protective coating on the edges
Kraton front shock tower.jpg
Kraton rear shock tower.jpg

Later on more of the build itself

Awsome buddy ❤

To make it a true 5th scale ( wich none of the arrmas are ) you need to download the IFMAR/EFRA or the national rules of 5th scale class racing. There you have the wheelbase and the width of a 5th scale.

But the easiest way is to look at the Losi 5ive-B for messurments

@SrC We would very much like to see the update on your Typhon build :D

In the mean while parts have finally arrived and the build is getting along nicely.
This is the first batch of goodies :cool:
View attachment 169508

To keep things lightweight I decided to buy Titanium parts from Scorched parts.
View attachment 169510

Unfortunately the Mojave shock towers are the wrong size, so had to order new Kraton V5 shock towers.
Here you see them ready to get a protective coating on the edges
View attachment 169517View attachment 169518

Later on more of the build itself
I am not done with my version of a large scale Typhon. Thanks for the support and motivation to do that. I will update. I have it on the shelf.
Need to paint up the Lim body better, mount the K8 wing, I only used the V4 K6 rear tower and a Mojave front tower. I changed to Kraton EXB front arms to accomodate the Mojave tower better. I felt RPM rear arms work best in general for most of 6s rigs and the Rear arms of this build.
Very smart of you with protecting the CF. I do the same with CF. This is was very commonly done years past with CF Chassis and towers. I use very thin CA on my edges. Depending how neat the bead of CA worked out, I may use a fine Sandpaper to smooth out the CA on th edges. For aesthetics.
Slowly, very carfeully lightly apply CA. Keeps the CF from splintering on impacts. Keeps the CF layers from separating. Good insurance for lighter impacts and abrasion. Great parts you have chosen.

Last edited:
@TpPartsRcXtreme: Very true, its 1:5 scale according to Arrma specs (Typhon 1:10 vs 1:8 are equaly sized);)

Shock tower comparison between Mojave (bottom) and Kraton V5 (top).
Shock towers Mojave vs Typhon.jpg

Mojave towers just aren't wide enough...
Mojave towers.jpg

1:5 Typhon build weights 4720 g (166.5 oz) :love:
4720 gr.jpg

Front.jpg
Typhon front.jpg
Typhon rear.jpg
Typhon top.jpg
Typhon side front.jpg
Typhon side rear.jpg

Here is the comparison between 1:8 Typhon and my 1:5 Typhon
Typhons side to side.jpg
Typhons on top.jpg
Typhons on top front.jpg
Typhons top closed.jpg
Typhons top open.jpg

Set all things yesterday (droop end points etc.)
Today my thirst real drive with the two Typhon's :cool:

Last edited:
Back