Typhon 3s 4x4 BLX upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hey All

just wanted to open this post in case somebody else ends up with these ZD racing shocks and wonders 1 if they fit, 2 how to fit the shock cap eyelet on the shock tower.
That was my main issue.
Couldn't find any suitable part to buy, like pivot balls, bushings, washers or else... mainly because none of these manufacturers' websites state the exact measures.

I ended up doing what many suggested, which is using a plastic tube. This one is not a nitro fuel tubing, is just a random tube I found in the gardening section of an hardware store.
I made a 3 parts bushing: the inner part to go through the eyelet and the outer washers to make the shock stay in place.

LUVVjj4.png

Following pic is how I made it at first, in order to have the shock all the way to the front, in order to clear space between the spring and the arm, but that was too much, you can see the difference: right side of the pic is 2 parts, left is 3 parts.
Went with the three parts version.

y5uRPuT.png
cQVt6mS.png

On the lower end, I put a m3 nut to clear also some space, might wanna look for a nice black washer.

noooQuf.png

And this is the final result, pretty happy with it.
Now batteries are charging :p

55dqQfx.png
4zL8ce7.png
DOtzSLQ.png
Fn9fPOq.png

PS
other parts I have installed are:
- Tekno high downforce wing TKR5292W which looks awesome and it's very flexible, I guess it's less prone to breakage
- Hot racing bellcrank ATF4801 which I still need to fix/check since I've been told it's not perfect and rubs on the chassis/arms

any questions, just ask!

Last edited:
This is all I have. I got them on amazon Eu, they weren’t even listed as ZD Racing shocks, just random buggy shocks.
They’re bigger and longer than the stock ones of course, they’re listed as 110 and 130 mm

Attachments

• 09D598DD-EA59-40B5-A0C0-1441790A7BC9.jpeg
    09D598DD-EA59-40B5-A0C0-1441790A7BC9.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 70
These are the new tires, properly tested on Sunday.

As you can see I snapped the wing but that's not the problem because the wing didn't break nor the wing mount.

What broke is the head of the screw which was sticking out so now I either have to drill it out or change the wing mount again, photos will follow.

Attachments

• IMG_789324352353.JPG
    IMG_789324352353.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Very nice, but your ride height seems way to high, i think that's why you get those rolls. The shock length also doesn't help with this, did you consider shortening them back to stock length?

Very nice, but your ride height seems way to high, i think that's why you get those rolls. The shock length also doesn't help with this, did you consider shortening them back to stock length?

To be honest I did not.
I have very little free time and I don't have the proper tools to rebuild shocks (I know you can also do it without, but I rebuilt ONE stock shock once and it was a pain :ROFLMAO: )

Besides, how would you do it? replace the shaft with a shorter one? Springs too?

Also, in the pics the car is without battery, so with the battery actually sits a bit lower.
Now that you make me think, I used to roll way more with the stock shocks, but maybe it was just because of my inexperience in driving

PS - Forgot to mention: I had a doubt about the height of the car (out of the box) and/or quality of stock shocks because I noticed that by dropping the car from 20/30 cm from the ground, it would slap on the floor pretty hard and I thought that can't be ok. That was another reason why I changed the shocks.

I'm all ears if you have opinions/suggestions on that

Last edited:
It seems very high on the video, the stock is 42mm, but i would run a bit lower if running on high traction surface.

I would shorten the shocks by adding o-rings (or even a plastic tube) on the shaft (between the piston and the bottom cap), that will limit the extension of the shock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back