Typhon 3s-are there larger tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmaTroy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
I’d like to put larger wheels and tires on the Typhon 3s. Has anyone done that? Does anyone know what the largest I could put on. Would love Monster Truck size tires.
Thanks in advance.

All 2.8 and most 3.8 tires/wheels with a 17mm hex will fit without modification. It’s a very popular upgrade, and turns the Typhon into a truggy. It’d be in your best interest to add a motor fan if you haven’t already, unless you plan to gear down several teeth.

I would show you some pics of my 3s Typhon with Badlands MX2.8s with 17mm hubs, Hot Racing +10mm 17mm hubs and Granite stub axles but for some reason the forum is telling me that my pictures are not images files as expected. Let me try and figure out how to get a pic up on here.

Here ya go.

It just has a Kraton Body on it, otherwise it is 99.9% Typhon 3s.
oeNiO8q.jpg

Last edited:
Badlands Mx 28’s are the go to. The typhon in the back only pic I have right now
What’s up with pics?

Attachments

• 8AD8B6B9-5726-40E2-940A-384430A4E65E.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 165
I would show you some pics of my 3s Typhon with Badlands MX2.8s with 17mm hubs, Hot Racing +10mm 17mm hubs and Granite stub axles but for some reason the forum is telling me that my pictures are not images files as expected. Let me try and figure out how to get a pic up on here.

Here ya go.

It just has a Kraton Body on it, otherwise it is 99.9% Typhon 3s.
oeNiO8q.jpg
I’m also adding larger tires, and it took me a while to figure out how to extend the hubs, and I came up with the hr +10mm 17mm hub extenders, and the axels from the 12mm cars. I wish I read this weeks ago lol 😂 would of saved me a lot of deep thought lol 🤯💨. I just bought a new typhon 3s as my first adult rc car.. I’m doing a bunch of improvements (in my opinion) and I’ll be posting pics soon.. once all the parts arrive. I like what yours is like also... 👍🏻😁

I wouldn't go any bigger than 2.8's, they're already pretty heavy and have a tendency to chew up drivetrain gears when driven hard. The MX2.8's are beasts tho, had them on my Typhon 3s and would bite hard on almost all surfaces to the point I could wheelie at any speed with a quick punch of the throttle.

The MX2.8's are beasts tho, had them on my Typhon 3s and would bite hard on almost all surfaces to the point I could wheelie at any speed with a quick punch of the throttle.
I have mx buggy on my typhon 3s and they are amazing. They'll rip grass right out of the ground and rooster tail grass bits and dirt on a WOT take off. They are extremely grippy tires. The MX28 are slightly taller and wider, so the grip must be insane on the MX28's.

Proline's M2 compound is a bit soft so if you run on pavement you'll lose tread quickly if you are peeling out, skid stopping, doing donuts, etc. They still grip pavement incredible well though.

If you don't run on pavement often, they are awesome tires.

Last edited:
Im currently running duratrax x cons on mine. Upgraded to bigger motor fan due to heat issues.

To those running MX28 tires on their Typhon... Did any of you gear down the pinion to a 13 or 14 tooth? Any overheating issues?

I've read that the MX28 tires are amazing on the Arrma BLX 3S line. And I've read that the MX28 tires are too big and too heavy, so you overheat and chew up the diffs and input gears.

I'd love hear more about this. I'm looking for bigger tires for my Typhon 3S, but I don't want to also have to change the pinion and get the metal diff and input gears.

To those running MX28 tires on their Typhon... Did any of you gear down the pinion to a 13 or 14 tooth? Any overheating issues?

I've read that the MX28 tires are amazing on the Arrma BLX 3S line. And I've read that the MX28 tires are too big and too heavy, so you overheat and chew up the diffs and input gears.

I'd love hear more about this. I'm looking for bigger tires for my Typhon 3S, but I don't want to also have to change the pinion and get the metal diff and input gears.
I did have to adjust my slipper as I was blowing out driveshafts. But other than that I didn't gear down and even with bad bearings the motor never got too hot.

I kept the original pinion, but I had already dropped a blx120 in & stuck a fan on the motor. It only thermals when my 11 year old goes full potato with his friends. A lot of stuff gets broken then 🥔

I did have to adjust my slipper as I was blowing out driveshafts. But other than that I didn't gear down and even with bad bearings the motor never got too hot.

Would you happen to recall roughly what amount of slipper looseness ended up working for you?

Just put MX28's on my Typhon myself and would rather prevent exploding driveshafts. My slipper tightness should still be factory default at the moment.

I'll switch between the MX and MX28s between my Granite and Typhon. They're both great tires and I've had no issues running them or belted Trenchers.

GS0gZdq.jpg
How do you like having thicker tires on back? Seems like a great idea for the Typhon to gain traction but also maintain handling characteristics. Any issues?

How do you like having thicker tires on back? Seems like a great idea for the Typhon to gain traction but also maintain handling characteristics. Any issues?
I've actually never ran it like that. I just wanted to see what it'd look like staged :eek: One of these days I'll give it a try.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back