Typhon Typhon 3s BLX Grinding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M3akn

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hi .. this week I purchased a Typhon 3s BLX. I am brand new to RC and have no experience in maintenance. On my 3rd run with the buggy it began to make an awful grinding noise from the rear (have tried to load a short video to show but it won’t allow). In addition to this it seems that the wheels lock up as well.

Is it possible anyone could advise me of what the problem might be please and/or is this normal to happen so soon after purchasing?

If any more info is required I will happily send.

Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately it sounds like the rear diff has killed some gears... hard to tell exactly what it could be without seeing it opened up.. by any chance did it land off a jump full throttle or anything? That can damage some gears..

Hi .. this week I purchased a Typhon 3s BLX. I am brand new to RC and have no experience in maintenance. On my 3rd run with the buggy it began to make an awful grinding noise from the rear (have tried to load a short video to show but it won’t allow). In addition to this it seems that the wheels lock up as well.

Is it possible anyone could advise me of what the problem might be please and/or is this normal to happen so soon after purchasing?

If any more info is required I will happily send.

Thank you in advance!

If you upload the video to youtube and then post the link here you'll be in good shape.

Hi All .. Thanks so much for your responses so far! Here is a link to the YouTube clip.. it’s not very long so if more needed let me know..
. I’ve not yet had the pleasure of doing any jumps yet so a little disappointed if something is broken already ..

open the gears cover and remove the spur gear, then try to rotate the motor by hand, i suspect the motor bearing went bad
Thanks Yonik! Heres where I come to my next issue .. I have tried taking the gears cover off ... ie removing central pin underneath, removing the red fixing block, but then when I go to lift the 'pully' toward the back and slide the gears cover forward it just wont budge, no matter how much i try to force it :-/ .. I don't think I am doing anything wrong (although very possible), unless you can suggest otherwise.? Thanks!

It's a common issue.

First - did you remove the centeral driveshaft? i assume you did.
You need to pray it out slowly, it's hard on the first few time you try, but gets much easier afterwards. Try praying it out with a flat screwdriver.

You need to pull it completely straight back, and evenly from both left and right.

It's a common issue.

First - did you remove the centeral driveshaft? i assume you did.
You need to pray it out slowly, it's hard on the first few time you try, but gets much easier afterwards. Try praying it out with a flat screwdriver.

You need to pull it completely straight back, and evenly from both left and right.
OK ... I'll give it another try ! thanks!

Use some flat screwdrivers on each side of the power module and use leverage to pop it forward. Make sure you lift the tab on the top of the diff case at first. Once it clears the lip you can work on prying alone. It may take some force to get it out if you melted the housing due to a bad bearing.

OK .. I did manage to get it out in the end (with quite a bit of force) ... Here are the pictures of the gears .. To my un-trained eye they seem to look ok? ..
IMG_6787.jpg
IMG_6788.jpg

What I did notice (and I am not sure if it is supposed to be like this) but the gear which goes into the motor appeared buckled or the point of entry warped and thus it could move around .. Is that normal or could this be the issue? (Please see video attached) ..

Motor bearing failed... warranty for sure..
The spur is a little chewed up as well so I would have them warranty that as well...
They are definitely tough to get out the first time or two, I suspect the issue with being tight like that comes down to the spline for the pinion... when I finally got mine apart I noticed a large burr on the pinion spline.. when I looked in the slipper spline that mates to it you could see that burr dug into the slipper spline actually galling and creating a burr...

I took a file and cleaned the burr on the pinion spline.. then cleaned up the burr in the slipper spline.. what a difference it made for assembly and disassembly...

Can you take a picture of the slipper spline that mates to the rear pinion spline? I'm just curious to see if it's the same...

Last edited:

The spur is a little chewed up as well so I would have them warranty that as well...
They are definitely tough to get out the first time or two, I suspect the issue with being tight like that comes down to the spline for the pinion... when I finally got mine apart I noticed a large burr on the pinion spline.. when I looked in the slipper spline that mates to it you could see that burr dug into the slipper spline actually galling and creating a burr...

I took a file and cleaned the burr on the pinion spline.. then cleaned up the burr in the slipper spline.. what a difference it made for assembly and disassembly...

Can you take a picture of the slipper spline that mates to the rear pinion spline? I'm just curious to see if it's the same...
Thanks Camaroboy383 .. Really appreciate yours and everyone else's advice! I'm going to get on to the shop now .. I've lost a little bit of faith in this car based on only using it quite conservatively twice and then having to go through this .. I think I may look at a full replacement .. Thanks again all !

Its unfortunate that happened, but it's more of a fluke than anything.. these 3s rigs are quite stout, and a bearing failure in the motor can is not common for something so new, so there was an issue with that bearing from the factory.. a warranty shouldnt be an issue in this case at all...

Try not to lose to much faith, cause the 3s typhon is a beast, especially with a 20 tooth pinion.. ?(y)

My bearing died after like 5-6 packs in my motor, they really are crappy bearings they use in those things. I replaced all the bearings with hybrid ceramic motor bearings.

I think the problem is that the mesh is too tight on these things and puts lateral stress on the motor bearing, and so it fails very fast.

You'll likely need to remove the power module again so to make it easier on me, I used some dry chain lube. If it didn't help I was planning to use lithium grease but it worked and the lithium grease may attract dirt and make it worse off anyway. I also use dry chain lube in spur and pinion mesh.
I think the problem is that the mesh is too tight on these things and puts lateral stress on the motor bearing, and so it fails very fast.

I agree. Good early upgrade is the Hot Racing Motor Plate or Arrma has an upgrade also.

Finally, please don't lose faith. Just a stroke of bad luck and you'll be back in business in no time. Please let us know if you speak to Horizon Hobby and what the outcome is if you request warranty assistance.

Last edited:
I agree with Razor above. Overly tight mesh from the factory is killing these motor bearings and eventually spurs. Glad you caught yours early. ??

Thanks everyone! .. I’ll hope to update this thread with some further news shortly!

Email horizon or call them and they will send you a new motor if you show them the picture of the bearing broken and the motor
My motor was toast the wires inside were cut your maybe not
Better not use it because a shorted motor can kill your esc i recommand you to get ceramic bearings at least one for the front of the motor so far mine is still really smooth after 1 month of use
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x13x4mm-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 This is what i use

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back